Retroair wiring | FerrariChat

Retroair wiring

Discussion in '308/328' started by cls, Oct 7, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    OK, Retroair is no help, I've tried a few times and they finally admitted they don't know anything about Ferraris. I guess that's why they have virtually no instructions.

Anyone know the correct wiring for the Retroair compressor and pressure switch?

I have a 12v switched wire from the old pressure switch on top of the evaporator that's wired to the new pressure switch. Where does the Retroair switched / other lead go? My old compressor wasn't working and only had the ground wire attached so I can't just hook it up to the old connectors. Retroair says that their pressure switch should be 12v switched in and then out to the compressor clutch, but I don't see that wire anywhere in the engine bay. I tried jumping from the pressure switch to the compressor but couldn't get the clutch to engage. Anyone know how to do this?

2. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Do to the rubber mounted compressor it must be grounded to operate.

3. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Yes.
    I grounded it to the cam cover to bypass the rubber.

4. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    OK, I think I figured it out:

The stock wiring is 12v in to low pressure switch from AC fan switch (orange / black, spade connection to green lead)
    12v switched out to high pressure switch (orange / black, spade connection to green lead)
    12v switched out (black wire) to engine bay.

The retro air wiring needs the 12v from the AC fan switch to the hi lo pressure switch on dryer.
    Black wire out from pressure switch, to engine bay, to compressor.
    Ground compressor to chassis ground.

5. Badman

Badman Formula 3

Mar 4, 2007
    Gotham City
    Full Name:
    Bruce Wayne
    Sounds about right. I recently helped a buddy with a Retroair refit and I tied the new binary pressure switch into the same wiring as the old low pressure switch (polarity doesn't matter) and then just put a jumper in place of the old high pressure switch. I actually removed the whole pressure switch manifold from the system and put a universal one in it's place. I thought that was a cleaner install for the new pressure switch instead of hanging it off the drier.

And I agree, Retroair's instructions are useless, and their support is minimal. I also wasn't terribly impressed with their system's performance vs just building up a retrofit system from scratch (which is what I've done with my own car), and I found their compressor mount a bit wonky. But it got the job done. My buddy's car now has A/C again.