Exhaust valve bypass controller question | FerrariChat

Exhaust valve bypass controller question

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Randyslovis, Sep 26, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    More than a year ago I bought an exhaust bypass controller recommended by an Fchat member. When I went to have it installed, I found that this model kept the valves always open or always closed. Therefore, it could never be in default factory mode. Plus, it lacked mounting hardware/harnesses that would make it plug and play. So, I never used it.
    I just received a Forza bypass controller which appears to have all the features I want.
    My car doesn't go into service for another 4-6 weeks so want to make sure I have the right product.
    Does anyone here have anything positive or negative to say about the Forza unit?
    Grazie mille
    Randy

2. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell

I have both the Forza unit and the Capristo unit. Both work perfectly. Forza unit adds a third option compared to the Capristo's two - automatic, always open, always shut.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. ONEOFEW

ONEOFEW Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2006
    LA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I have both Cap and Forza.
    Couple of points to be noted with Forza.
    1.Need to re-open the bypass valves with the remote after every shutdown, Capristo seems to keep the valves open after the car's turned off for a while, at least enough time to pump gas.
    2.Forza controll unit is larger, it's little easier to find a suitable install location with Capristo.

Forza is the better deal of the two. I've had my Forza over a year, so far it's work flawlessly.

4. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Just pin them open all the time so no controller needed. Why would you ever want them closed ? Just saying.

TJsBeer likes this.
  5. Rbwiii

Rbwiii Formula Junior

Aug 9, 2014
    Cali
    Full Name:
    BW
    Just got my Forza for my 458, will install soon and let you know how it went...

6. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    NOTE: the Capristo unit is designed to either have the exhaust valve A) "automatic" open according to factory ECU program or B) always open.
    "...it can be attached on nearly all types of vehicles, which in-series have exhaust valves. Most of the in-series control units open and close the exhaust valves according to a set program pattern. With our control unit, we are able to control the flaps to open permanently, without the in-series control being able to intervene. When the exhaust valve system is closed again with the use of the remote control unit, then the in-series control unit will again take over the control of the exhaust valves. ..."​

I asked my installer about it and he said the valves should not be closed all the time because the increased exhaust back pressure at high engine output levels may damage the engine if the valves cannot open to allow the programmed amount of exhaust flow. If you think about it, it's like when the catalytic converters degrade and get plugged up. The engine will lose power and may even stumble at high throttle.

So be careful if someone says their valve control can let you close the exhaust valve all the time. It is technically simple to include such a feature so it is very likely Capristo simply did not think it would be wise to offer it. They have been in the Ferrari tuning business much longer than most others.

7. justin458

justin458 Karting

Jan 29, 2016
    corona ca
    Full Name:
    justin
    Can't go wrong with the forza for the price

8. Goonthree

Goonthree Karting

Nov 28, 2010
    Orlando
    Forza, install 2nd time took less than an hour. Local driving I have it open, highway stock setting

9. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    Agree entirely - the always shut feature has to be used in conjunction with an exhaust system that is specifically designed to run always shut such as the Kline inconel system. The always shut feature is for track day use where strict noise limits are applied and in conjunction with new headers, cats and muffler is part of the solution. I think Forza are also specific about using the always shut feature on their web site.

I would agree with comments about the size of the Capristo unit, it is tiny and easily hidden away.

10. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    #10 Randyslovis, Sep 27, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    Like so many things in life, I like having a choice. Like roof up, roof down, roof up with rear window down. You get the idea. So, sometimes it is nice while driving at a constant speed to not have exhaust "drone" in the background. While accelerating and having fun, valve open position obviously the way to go.
    My buddy pinned his Italia open before he got his Speciale. He never thought twice save for his neighbors complaining!
    To Russell996 and Oneofew many thanks for the feedback.
    Best

11. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Gotcha bro. Best -Kirk

12. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    The Forza controller returns to factory default when you turn off the ignition. But this is only true when you use the remote fob. The Forza unit offers you the choice to use a switch that you can install in the passenger compartment. Of course this requires running a wire to the switch location. If you choose to use a mechanical switch ... e.g., a 3-way switch ... then whatever position the switch is in ... is the mode that the exhaust bypass valves assume when you restart the car.

Using a mechanical switch also means you do not have to worry about losing the remote fob or replacing batteries.

There are several option for mounting a switch. And, if you do not want the "always closed" feature, you can make do with a 2-way switch. For example, on many Ferraris there might be a unused spot on the dash or center console that one can mount a switch that exactly matches the existing switches. Certainly true for 360 and F430.

On the topic of always closed ... I would recommend only for track use (to reduce noise to meet sound regulation) or to eliminate drone for gently highway cruising. Personally, I do not believe any harm will come from using the always closed option, most likely result is slight loss of peak power at high engine RPM ...

Steve

13. andrewecd

andrewecd Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Have Forza on 430. Excellent operation and build. Easy to install and remove.
    Will be first thing I put on a 458.

14. 100badboy100

100badboy100 Formula Junior
    Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Apologies for a silly question

Are these things DIY fit or do they require professional install?

15. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Generally, if you are handy with a wrench, you should be able to do it as a DIY project. The F355 is the easiest install as you do not have to remove anything to install the controller.

The 360 and F430 ... you only have to remove an engine bay panel to get to a location to install the controller. Routing the controller's cables is pretty easy.

The 458/488 is a bit more difficult to install as the vacuum solenoid valves are a bit of pain to access ... but it is still very doable as a DIY.

The 599/612 becomes a bit more difficult as locating the controller module is more time consuming. At this point, especially with the 599, it becomes a bit of a toss up whether to do it as a DIY or have a shop install it. But, many people have performed this install as a DIY.

With the FF, California, F12 ... probably leaning more toward a shop install unless you are quite confident with your mechanical skills. May have to remove the rear bumper.

Regards,

Steve

16. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    Same here and agree both work very well.

17. AZLambo

AZLambo Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I bought & installed the Forza unit. Perfect!

18. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    folks, yet another satisfied customer with the Forza unit. when you receive the unit, 3 things stand out:

1. durability - this was clearly [over]designed by an engineer to withstand the elements

2. quality - the cables and connectors are super high quality as are the well protected joints. i added a little more black heat shrink and cable sheath to cover up some of the visible colored jackets on some of the wires.

3. size - the one downside to this design, IMVHO, is the packaging for the main logic board is quite enormous. i would gladly pay $50-100 additional if there was an option for a box that is at least 50% the size.

my shop was able to do the install without removing the rear bumper, which is nice.

19. Rbwiii

Rbwiii Formula Junior

Aug 9, 2014
    Cali
    Full Name:
    BW
    Installed last week on my 458 spider...very simple install (I removed the bumper)...works like advertised and seems very reliable...I control my with the remote, but will program my home link to control it instead.....

I like the choice of open or ecu control, so times cruising I like to have valves shut....

20. Rbwiii

Rbwiii Formula Junior

Aug 9, 2014
    Cali
    Full Name:
    BW
    I did my 458 spider myself and found very simple... I removed my bumper because I was working on the exhaust....they say on the coupe it's alot easier and bumper removal is not required

21. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Awesome idea. Did you get this to work?

22. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    You can program the remotes to your Homelink if the Homelink is at least 2014 or later. Prior to then, Homelink did not support frequencies higher that 400MHz. At least that is the case with American vehicles and should also be the case for other cars in the NA market.

You program the remotes to Homelink just as you would your garage door opener.

Regards,

Steve

23. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Does that mean I switch every Forza equipped car to Open Valve at Cars & Coffee? :D

24. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley

How do you program it for your home link?

Anyway, got my Forza installed a couple weeks ago. Only regret is not doing it sooner!

25. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    No. that would be a hoot, though. Each controller's remote(s) are uniquely programmed that unit.

Steve