Dino key blanks - Help! Alaska Airlines lost my spare set | FerrariChat

Dino key blanks - Help! Alaska Airlines lost my spare set

Discussion in '206/246' started by synchro, Jul 18, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I flew on Alaska Airlines over the July 4th holiday and they lost my checked in baggage which had my spare Dino 246 GTS keys in it, and which hasn't been seen since.

Alaska is sending me paperwork to make a claim, but I will need four original keys (Door, ignition, glove box, GTS trunk/bonnet handle lock). I have a set of the first 3 keys, but not the last one.

Any ideas on a source for Original spare Dino keys?

2. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Boy they would be in deep poop if you had an original Dino key fob attached to those key's!!!

3. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    The glove box key is the same key as the locking bar key for the gas/engine/trunk releases.

4. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    What is this locking bar key you mentioned? I always wondered about the release levers. There's absolutely no security if you leave the top off of your Dino. So might this be a security measure?

5. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    it is a bar that locks across the levers so that you can't pull the levers to release the latches. it was on spyders. the coupes do not have this bar to my knowledge.

6. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    Thanks, might anyone have a pic of this bar? I know I don't have this bar. :(

7. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Did you lose originals, or copies?

Copies are easy. I'll post a link tomorrow from my laptop at work.

Originals - I think I remember a post from Tom Shaughnessy showing some original blanks, might try him.

I have an ignition and door lock key, uncut, but they are new replacements, not originals. You're welcome to them if you need them.

Dave

8. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    blanks are easily found on ebay for the door and ignition. the original style blank as supplied new to the cars have been out of production for years. when they do come up for sale, they aren't cheap.

9. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    #9 tx246, Jul 18, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    here is a photo of the lock bar. simply, it is hinged on the outer side and folds over to lock in place. when locked, it doesn't allow for the levers to be pulled.

the key that locks the bar is the same cut as the glove box door key.

one scary thing about the key that locks the the levers and the glove box is that they are all the same. i can't say that they were the same cut during the entire dino production run, but i do know that all later dinos used the exact same key and cut.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    #10 tx246, Jul 18, 2005
    here is a photo of a very rare, but original dino glove box/locking lever bar key. it is a "V.V" key, which can be clearly seen across the face of the head. the opposite side of the head has the same "V.V" motif.

11. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    #11 tx246, Jul 18, 2005
    here are the appropriate dino keys, as issued when new.

the ignition key is a stainless blank made by neiman.

the door lock key, is made by S.A.F.E., although the photo doesn't show it, it is raised on the opposite side of the key. the side shown in the photo show the "torino" raised lettering. you can also see a number 8. the door keys had the number 2, 4 ,6 or 8 depending on the style of the mechanism of the lock. to my knowledge, there isn't an absolute. however, most dinos i have seen have the number 8 key.

12. Slim

Slim Formula 3

Oct 11, 2001
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Full Name:
    richard
    I have found these guys to be a good source for hard to find vintage Italian keys. Many of the Torino or Armann or other keys used are the same for several models of cars. They carry both originals (when they can) and aftermarket matches.

http://key-men.com/

They had key blanks for my Fiat 238 campervan even.

If you put "neiman" into their search box you'll find the R61N key (http://key-men.com/shopping/show_key.php?catnum=R61N) or if you search for Ferrari you'll find lots of other blanks.

13. stephenofkanza

stephenofkanza Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2005
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Stephen LeRoy Sherma
  14. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    honestly, i can find "neiman" duplicates al day long. hell, look on ebay, and you will find keys that are similar for cheap. the keys are difficult to find if you are wanting to replace your ORIGINAL keys. if "replica" keys are acceptable, i don't think you will have a problem in sourcing them.

15. Slim

Slim Formula 3

Oct 11, 2001
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Full Name:
    richard
    Well, since it was his "spare" keys that were lost by the airline, one assumes that aftermarket blanks will serve him just fine as replacements, no?

I'm also confused because it was you who posted that the Neiman key was actually the original, right? So what is available is actually an original key, right?

16. TR3guy

TR3guy Rookie

Jan 16, 2006
    Any chance someone can post an image of the other side of the "VV" key? I'm trying to match up a blank for someone, but without images of both sides, or the lock to work with, I'm not having much luck.

George Richardson
    Key Men - Keys for Classics
    www.key-men.com

17. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
    #18 npwmd2, Oct 9, 2016