For Sale - 1983 400i No. 43303 | FerrariChat

For Sale - 1983 400i No. 43303

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by OttoB, Oct 7, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    #1 OttoB, Oct 7, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    No relation to the seller, who describes it was 'looking to get rid of it' after spending $50K in the past two years restoring the car... Except, that the front seats have major tears in them, the rear mufflers are not properly sorted, and the one really faded front turn signal. I would really be interested in knowing where the $50K went if they overlooked these easily identifiable issues?

Here is the link off eBay followed by the description from the seller:

Ferrari Other | eBay

Have put over $50,000 into this Ferrari. Looking to get rid of it for a decent price just so I can clear out the garage. This vehicle was from a family who owned the car for over 30 years. We have spent the last 2 years restoring the car. I have much of the documentation of the sale and importing of the car from Italy. Please message me for more information regarding specific documentation.

Repairs include:
    Full repaint of car
    Fuel pump and filter
    Electrical panel rebuilt
    Rebuilt brake master cylinder
    Replaced front and rear brake system including new calipers and brake lines
    Replaced front and rear brake discs
    Replaced fuel lines
    Rebuilt brake servo unit
    Replaced hood latch assembly
    Full repaint of car
    Replaced cooling system, expansion tank, thermostat, cooling fan thermostat switches, and cooling hoses
    New tires
    Replaced dinoflex unit with electronic ignition (kept original unit)

Towards the end of 1982, the 400i was updated. New camshaft profiles and exhaust headers raised engine power to 315 hp (235 kW).The interior was significantly revised, gaining different upholstery, door panels, centre console and new electronic switchgear. On the exterior a narrower grille left the rectangular foglights exposed; the venting on the engine bonnet was changed from silver to body-colour. New, more elegant wing mirrors were fitted, bearing a small Ferrari shield. Foglamps were fitted in the bumper. Lower profile Michelin TRX tyres were adopted, on metric sized wheels. A total of 1305 examples were produced, 883 Automatics and 422 GTs. Car was owned originally by a family for 30 years when we acquired it. This car is available for inspection prior to bidding. It is understood and agreed to by placing a bid on this car you are biding on it in its current condition which you have deemed as acceptable.
    VIN number is - ZFFEB06B0000433O3
    The car is avaliable for inspection to anyone intersted in making a bid.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Temerian

Temerian Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2014
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Rick Temerian
    I know this car. It was bought sight unseen from the D.C. area with electrical problems, fuel system issues, no brakes and terribly oxidized paint. The interior needs a complete overhaul and smelled initially as if the car had been stored outside and water leaked in. The mechanical work has been completed and the car is running beautifully but the seller has run out of patience to complete the restoration.

3. MathKernelKing

MathKernelKing Karting

Jun 16, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Noah
    Why was this car ever allowed to compete in a car show?

4. Temerian

Temerian Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2014
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Rick Temerian
    That wasn't a show. It was last Saturday at the Bridgehampton Rally. Anyone could display their classic car and then participate in the road rally.

5. MathKernelKing

MathKernelKing Karting

Jun 16, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Noah
  6. Ewan

Ewan Karting

Jul 5, 2015
    Dorset, UK
    Love it. And possibly only a few minor cosmetics away from being a lovely example. That's the colour, near enough, that I'm planning to repaint mine.

7. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Amazing the level of attention to detail that spending $50,000 on a mechanical restoration allows you to have. For example, the cooling system is described as replaced but the owner took the additional steps to make the radiator, expansion tank and hoses all look as if found in a barn! Anyone can replace stuff with brand new stuff but then it looks brand new. It takes a special talent to go the extra mile to make that new stuff look really old! ;)

8. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    LOL :D

9. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Yes, but he never said he replaced it with new stuff - maybe he replaced it with old stuff!

10. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Trying to retain the original patina, don't you know anything?

11. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    I've seen a car with fresh white paint over deep "patina cracks", among many other things, for a lot more :D

12. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Good point and well parsed, sir! I can tell that you have had a lot of experience reading through old car ads. They rival real estate ads for euphemisms that make faults look like features. (e.g. "cozy" means "cramped"; "good bones" means "needs gut rehab", etc) :D

13. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Gullwing and Beverly Hills Car Club take top honors in describing their 'merchandise' with more bs euphemisms than anyone else - I reckon a buyer needs to have their imagination somehow stirred when considering buying one of their cars "in outstanding original condition"...

14. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    LOL :)
    I've always liked "Renovator's Dream", ie Effing Nightmare!

15. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day All,

Just adding doc on chassis 43303, as it is currently on BaT. What is really interesting is that it looks as if all documents associated with 43303 are still with the car including the original purchase invoice from Ferrari, transport docs, importation docs, etc.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1983-ferrari-400-2/

Cheers,

Sam

1983 Ferrari 400i Auto
    Color: Marrone Colorado over Tobacco Leather
    Mileage: 29951 miles
    VIN: ZFFEB06B000043303
    Chassis: 43303
    Current Bid: $35250 USD

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Il Tifoso likes this.