Never too late for an 8 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Never too late for an 8

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Mechanical Dad, Oct 2, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hahaha

2. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2004
  3. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  4. Mechanical Dad

Mechanical Dad Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Hey guys. A few updates on the car. Yes 2cam, that was the one from dallas! We saved it from being parts out by another potential buyer. Anyways, been working on a few things, started on some wiring issues to make the lights work and be brighter. Checked the valves on the front bank and did a leakdown on 5 and 6 which were high when it was undergoing ppi. Less than 10% now just as mike told me it would be if i ran it. Now the motor can stay in ! This forum has been a life saver so far. Looked at some known problem areas and corrected them. Still have much work to do, but im definitely looking forward to when the snow falls here!

5. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2004
    Does anyone know what the black 3.2 cab at Branson auction fetched this last weekend?

6. Mechanical Dad

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Well.... got it registered and inspected. Racked up about 300 miles so far! Running out of nice weather in WNY. However i did have a bit of a problem last Saturday. Was out running errands in the old girl after a fantastic friday evening in it with my wife and 2yr old son, when all of a sudden the battery light comes on and the temp guage began to climb. Had to drive it a few minutes to get out of traffic and BOOM! Coolant hose below the throttle body ruptured. Ah well. I do remember Russ saying to replace the hoses. So now that's the next step. Parts on order from Rutlands and im hoping to get another drive or 2 in it after its back together. Decided to replace the tunnel or long hoses underneath as well. Reliability is my number one goal with this car, so if it needs it, it gets it!

7. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Battery light plus temp climb? Did you lose belt(s)? I am thinking alternator and water pump.
    Alden

8. Jeka

Jeka Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2010
    Rotterdam
    Full Name:
    Johan
    That could be very well the cause, the 8 share the waterpump and alternator belt. The increased pressure due to the lack of cooling was probably just too much for the already week hose. I hope the few minutes drive without cooling was not too long.

9. Mechanical Dad

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Yes the belt blew off. I spoke to Mike at Norwood says about it and he said not to worry too much. The car starts and runs the same as it did before. (Had to move it after I got flatbedded home) I'll know this week when the hoses get here and do a pressure test.

10. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2004
    Better change timing belts Dad if one of those fails may as well part it out.

11. Ferrarifan2016

Ferrarifan2016 Karting

Oct 26, 2016
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Gorgeous car!

12. DenisB

DenisB Formula Junior

Jul 21, 2007
    Cape Cod Ma.
    Full Name:
    Denis B.
    Enzo360, your numbers are fine but, you aren't telling us how many are left. I've had a Mondial 8 for some 8 yrs now and have through not to often checks have been able to figure that maybe less than 1/3 of the 80-82 production are left.... can you give definite numbers?

13. DenisB

DenisB Formula Junior

Jul 21, 2007
    Cape Cod Ma.
    Full Name:
    Denis B.
    I had a few small problems quite some time ago and after searching suppliers I found the best prices from Superformance in the UK even with shipping

14. wrs46

wrs46 Formula 3

May 19, 2005
    QC, CANADA (&CH, &F)
    Full Name:
    Walter
    I second that, from my own experience. Purchased water pump and wheel bearings from them.

15. petrolheadjeff

petrolheadjeff Karting

Apr 16, 2015
    London/Kent
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    My advice. start with replacing the fuse board. Don't dance around the car fixing electricians just rip that sucker out and stomp on it then roll over it with a 60 tonner back n fourth a few times then burn it and then into an acid bath

Jeff

16. Mechanical Dad

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Well she's back together and runs as good as ever. Burned the midnight oil last night so I could take it to church this morning. Looking like this will be the last week to drive it so it's go time. And Russ, the belts will be changed when it's off the road for the year. It had a major service about 8500 miles ago, but I'm planning on doing valve adjustments, timing belt change, etc in a few weeks. Better safe than sorry.

17. Mechanical Dad

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    #67 Mechanical Dad, Mar 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well ive been tinkering away off and on with the old girl, and its rebirth is well underway. Degreased the engine, repaired the worn through coolant pipe and clamps, going to finsh the belt replacemnt tonight. Finding small issues along the way too. The vacuum check valve before the tank was stuck shut and the hose was torn slightly. Placed a large order to AW italian and a few things off ebay so im knee deep in it and looking forward to the first time it starts back up. Heres a few pics. Cheers.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. dhalter

dhalter Karting

Aug 2, 2009
    New York
    Full Name:
    Darryl
    Just caught this thread. Congrats on the car and thanks for putting another F car in WNY.
    I am in Orchard Park.

19. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Lol.

20. Mechanical Dad

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Hahaha yes it was already replaced by a previous owner. I'm "cleaning house" mechanically. Finding and eliminating existing and potential problems that would ruin weekends.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

21. Mechanical Dad

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Right around the corner! Sort of. Yes I've been seeing more and more F cars around here, but I'm really looking forward this summer. This mondial will only be dusty in the winter!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

22. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Sid...I copied your post and saved it. It has inspired me to go check out a couple of Mondials in my neck of the woods. One is an 8, the other is a QV. Since I'm an old social security age guy, the 8 appeals to my pension from a purchase price pov...and my appreciation of Ferraris in general. Back in the early 90s I had a 1980 308 GTSi...another of the slower Ferraris but a great road trip car. After reading a phone book size pile of service records from the first owner, I bought it with 88k on the odometer. Three years later I sold it with 124k. Was a great car. Your information convinces me it is time to do it again. Many thanks for the info.

23. Indyjones

Indyjones Karting

Jan 28, 2009
    Pacific NW
    John, get the 8 and give it the love it deserves :) It's not all about the power with these cars. And technically, it will be almost identical to your previous 308, so you'll know what your getting.

24. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #74 paulchua, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    completely agree, make sure you get one with eyes wide open, and with it's electric gremlins sorted (or at least identified), be sober about the fact that if its been sitting with no regular driving, you'll no doubt encounter problems that the seller won't know (or tell you about)

Best wishes!

25. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Do you think it is the electrical parts themselves, or the location they are put in? Moisture? Vibration? Parts suppliers? My 308 gave me zero problems. Gave it a major service as soon as I bought it and then just kept driving. The only parts failure was the original clutch cable. I had organized my support and repair system ahead of time. 5 pm on a Friday afternoon the cable broke. Flatbed to the shop that had the part, back on the road noon Saturday. My thought would be to put together the components of a second fuse and replay box and then just have it handy for when things happen. I am also guessing that the Mondial 8 and QV have fallen into the domain of indie shops and that most Ferrari dealers see them as a homeless man wandering in and asking for a cup of expresso.