How can I get a 308 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

How can I get a 308

Discussion in '308/328' started by kcabpilot, Sep 16, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Looks like the weather has come into the car judging by the leather staining. Not a good sign at all. No radiator, so she's obviously not turning over. If you go for it, it will be because you want a life challenge. Nothing wrong with being able to say you restored something like this. Does it make it sensible / a good gamble? judging by the pictures, nope.

2. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #52 kcabpilot, Oct 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    On a side note this slightly modified 46k mile '91 348TS is on the local CL for $35k with a salvaged title. Seller says it was thoroughly inspected when he bought it in 2012, has no frame damage, hood and fender replaced with OEM parts, has complete report of accident damage which occurred prior to his purchase of it.

Is it true that timing belt service requires engine removal on 348's? It sure looks like it does.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If it's done or repaired properly and you're not worried about resale value then the 348 is not a bad car. And yes, not only requires an engine out for belt service, also, it only uses one Tbelt for both banks.

4. NW328GTS

NW328GTS Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Hal
    I think one of the key things when i purchased my 328 8 years ago was a reasonably good service history. It shows that that prior owners took care of the car when they had it. Like any car, a Ferrari will ast longer if its run and used some, and maintained regularly. Taking it out for a spin and getting everything up to temp is good for these cars.

5. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    #55 rdefabri, Oct 12, 2016
    While I might be smoking something, I think my car would be in that $60-80K range ('84 QV GTS, books, tools, etc.). I'm the third owner, car has 27K miles on it. It's in very good shape, and I've had it for 3 years.

It's resale red, tan interior with red piping on the seats. I'm not selling it, but I would think it's in that price range.

6. lucky strike

lucky strike Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2015
    Pompano Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Steve
  7. davebuchner

davebuchner Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Dave Buchner
    Ha! you guys mustn't think 308's are expensive in the states - I sold my QV for full asking price of R2.2m ($159k) within one hour of advertising her last week...
    And no, I am not kidding.

8. davebuchner

davebuchner Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Dave Buchner
  9. lucky strike

lucky strike Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2015
    Pompano Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks.
    The whole car is a movie star!

10. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #60 kcabpilot, Oct 16, 2016
    As much as I really love the looks of the Pininfarina 308 I have maintained that if I could find a very nice '75 GT4 I might be able to persuade myself. For one thing it would be CA smog exempt and it would have carbs. Well there's one on eBay right now that's up in Portland. It looks very clean but there's something up with the bumpers. Are they supposed to stick out that far?

11. JohnnyTS

JohnnyTS Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2012
    Pretoria East, RSA
    Full Name:
    John
    Wow, Dave you actually sold ! how long did you have it ? still can't believe the current asking prices.

cheers
    Johnny

12. johng

johng Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    northern va
    Full Name:
    john g
    omg that's dreadful. looks to be a euro car that was converted. i think if you wanted a dino, only a carbed 308 will give you a close feeling to the dino. the QVs are much evolved over cars of the 70's, but they still certainly have a classic feel. by the time you get to the 348, it's not in the same ballpark as a carb 308/dino. much, much more modern feeling. more of a contemporary classic, like a first gen miata. 355 is just about a modern car.