Gasket sealer for oil sump covers? | FerrariChat

Gasket sealer for oil sump covers?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Cadillacbart, Oct 5, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cadillacbart

Cadillacbart Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John
    1988 Mondial 3.2

I'll be finishing up my shift shaft seal replacement this coming weekend. Recommendations on sealant to use (if any) with the new pan gaskets?

Thanks,
    John

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Why use any if its a new joint.

3. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    A couple of us were discussing this the other day with a tech from Maranello Concessionaires, the main UK official agent and they use CAF4 which is specified by Ferrari.

I have previously used Loctite 518 on there but with not 100% success. Maranellos use CAF4 where there is a gasket and 518 for direct metal-metal.

The factory didnt use anything originally and they leaked.

4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If u do decide to use something, try loctite flange sealant- i dont have the number but we occasionally use it on the diesel rebuilds. You dont want anything too strong or you will never get it off next time.
    Use very little sealant or the excess will end up in the sump and then get deposited in the suction filter.

Avoid Hylomar as it goes off before you have chance to fit it.

5. NW328GTS

NW328GTS Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Hal
    #5 NW328GTS, Oct 12, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
    Hondabond or Permatex is commonly used in automotive and motorcycle shops...

Get a tube of either Hondabond HT 08718-0004 or the Permatex Ultra Grey, which should cover almost everything with a gasket, and a can of Honda Ultra Flange 2 08718-0009 for gasketless oil pans.

A line of silk thread in the sealer around the perimeter on gasketless pans will stop seeping

6. Cadillacbart

Cadillacbart Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John
    Hondabond is what I ended up using. I've had success with it on my 928 over the years and thought it should work here as well.
    That said, still very interested in different options- keep 'em coming!

7. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    Silk thread? I've heard dental floss used on engine cases (motorcycle & VW/Porsche)

8. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Another vote for Hondabond here. Great stuff.

9. DANCER308

DANCER308 Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    KY
    Full Name:
    Dan
  10. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    Are Hondabond and Permatex Ultra Grey the exact same product? I've never come across a definitive answer. I've used both with success.

11. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Leak proof?, A weld bead ��

12. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh
    Hylomar, nothing else. (I think Hondabond is just RTV. Maybe Hi-temp RTV but RTV non the less.) Hylomar is non-hardening, you put it on, it dries to a rubber like consistency then you assemble.

Hylomar

Hylomar was recommended to me by an old German guy that built racing engine for my Porsche. When I went to pick up the motor I was looking around his office; apparently he had a lot of success building Rolls Royce Merlin engines for racing aircraft in addition to auto racing. He said he will not use anything but Hylomar.

13. Mark 328

Mark 328 Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Orange, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark Foley
    The trouble with the pans (motor and gear) is that the oil seeps out from around the studs. Several members in this site have chamfered the stud holes in the covers then put 6mm ID O'rings on all of the studs. I did that years ago on my 328 and I can attest that it does not leak. I chamfered so the o-ring went about half of its thickness down.

14. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I don't think Hondabond dries hard but I never taken anything apart after I fixed with it!

15. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I was a fan of Hylomar until they changed their formula. It is much too hard to apply evenly and also very hard to find

16. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    You are correct. It dries harder than silicone but it's still flexible. Great stuff.

sturrisi likes this.
  17. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    30 years and I have been all over the map and around again. I used to love hondabond but ran out when honda was closed. I quickly sourced some hightack (like aviation no.3). Then i started using hightack again. What I liked is sealing is perfect resists oils, easy clean up with acetone, almost never hardens but the longer it sits and hotter it cycles the harder it gets. Aviation hardens more then hightack. Both are messy. Neither will clog an oil gallery like an rtv. Hondabond is like an rtv with sawdust so it dries less stringy than rtv but had 90% of rtv sealing. Critical things about sealers to me are ease of clean up, fouling ability, ease of part disassembly, and operating temperature range. There is no 1 size fits all.

18. Prugna

Prugna Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Unites States
    Yamabond is an alternative, but I use the GM oil pan sealant that is now used by GM instead of oil pan gaskets themselves.

19. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hondabond is good stuff

20. patknapp14

patknapp14 Karting

Aug 24, 2016
    Menasha, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Patrick Knapp
    While were on the topic of sealer, I haven't seen much mention of anaerobic sealer. I source it from my local Napa. I've used it on a number of applications from sealing washers to drain plugs etc. It's worked great on several of the vintage cars here when I was wrenching. I loved it so much that I keep it at home for use on my vintage Harley Davidsons. (If you thing a vintage Ferrari leaks, try owning a early Harley!)

Some great info in this thread guys!