Trading GT3 for a Ferrari F430? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Trading GT3 for a Ferrari F430?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Porscheman, Oct 14, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Porscheman

Porscheman Rookie

Oct 14, 2016
    So I'm going to take a look at another F430 that's a couple hrs away from where I live. Keep you posted.

2. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I also had a 360 manual which I enjoyed and the performance was decent/fun but to ME the 430 feels much faster and is better in every other way as well. This shouldn't take away from what the 360 is though, it is a great car in its own right.

3. CChung

CChung Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2003
    Southern California

Well, I've owned my 430 since new for over 8 years, a lot longer than what most owners keep their Ferraris. Yes, it still excites me to drive but I think it's time to move on to something new, hopefully replacing it with something that will offer the same enjoyment for that length of time. I'm glad I didn't get the extended warranty as the car has had no problems whatsoever after the original warranty expired.

4. Easy888

Easy888 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2006
    CA, NV
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Have a '15 GT3 and a Scud. My opinion from ownership is that both the P and F cars are incredible to own. I can't imagine having to pick one, would almost be like picking to save one child if you had two. Without a doubt there's something special about both cars the minute you start them. I would say that with the GT3 you mentally know it's something special but with the Scud you feel that it's something special. So both marques satisfy different senses. I would say to keep the GT3 and trade the Targa for the 430. Best of both worlds.

I also second Sherpa. A different car for different purposes. Hell I'm thinking of adding a 360 to my stable just to add an old school car that drives differently than any of my current line ups.

5. Cytoboy

Cytoboy Rookie

Dec 13, 2007
    Oakland, California
    Full Name:
    Jeff M.
    Just go for the 458: You only live once ;)

6. Porscheman

Porscheman Rookie

Oct 14, 2016
    Easy888

I like idea of trading Targa for f430 but it's a lease and I'd be pretty upside down for trade. Additionally, it is may daily driver and can't use gt3 as daily driver as I take my kids to school.
    Targa also is a manual which I enjoy in town.

7. Dean355

Dean355 Formula 3

Sep 4, 2006
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Not to steal the thread here, but can someone list any main reasons why a 2007 F1 430 is a better Ferrari to buy than a 2005 F1 430 (if there are any reasons)? I am in the market for F1 430's in those year ranges.
    Thanks

8. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    There are threads upon threads with this. Do a search and you'll find all the info.

9. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    430 is a beast

10. rmarchjr

rmarchjr Formula Junior

May 21, 2012
    North east, USA
    As good as the 430 is, unless you get a manual, it will not meet your expectations coming from 991 because of the F1 vs pdk. The Porsche trans is equal to the 488 trans. The 458 trans is almost as good and I think you would be ok with it. But the F1 is a no go for anyone who has bonded w a pdk. 10 year old technology.

The scud is a beast on road or track but even that will pail (during road cruising) to the pdk. On track you will be happy with the Scud sf2 trans, it's near perfect.

11. Porscheman

Porscheman Rookie

Oct 14, 2016
    So I got to drive a 2007 & 2009 F430 spyder today and had a totally different experience from the 2005. F1 transmission certainly is no PDK, however felt very much competent, enjoyable, and fun. I feel that an F430 would be an absolute dream to have for the purpose I want it for.

In saying that I would like advise from Ferrari owns as to how to select the best one.
    I have 3 cars that really appeal to me. One is a 2007, 2008 and the other is a 2009. The 2009 has tons of carbon fiber , wheels that I really like, Daytona seats with black inserts and 2k miles. The 2008 has 7k miles, less carbon fiber , ok wheels but really nice Daytona seats with red inserts and 2007 similar to 2008 but completely black interior each about 25k less than 2009.

I've been told that even though 2007/8 are 25k cheaper than the 2009 that the cost of ownership of the 2009 over 2-3 years will be cheaper because of all the options it has and that it was the last year F430 was produced and has very low mileage. Is this true or will all deprecate the same?

12. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    I hate to say this, but if depreciation is a major concern and the deciding factor, don't buy a modern Ferrari - it _will_ hurt. Having said that, keep in mind that non-stock/aftermarket items usually hurt resale value on Ferraris, e.g. wheels, etc - some exceptions such as certain exhausts exist, but headers could restrict audience as they aren't legal in some areas. Also, note that assuming your miles over the 2-3 years is the same regardless of vehicle you pick, then you will put a much larger percentage increase in miles on the 2009. That will translate to an increased depreciation as, right or wrong, miles is a huge factor when selling a Ferrari. So, if you plan to drive it, perhaps it does not make sense to pay a premium for a low mile car, while if you don't plan to put many miles on it then perhaps it makes sense. For that reason some actually prefer to buy a higher miles car...

13. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I would try to find an 08 that you like, I believe there are meaningful updates from 07 including standard carbon ceramic brakes.

14. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I based my decision on three things

1) Color combination

2) Options I really needed followed by options I really wanted

3) Avoiding the options I really didn't want (like carbon ceramic brakes, h-fi stereo, parking sensors, TPMS, spare wheel).

All of those years are good. You won't go wrong.

15. F430Rod

F430Rod Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2007
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Rod
    I don't see the cost of ownership being cheaper for the 2009. If you get the 2009...it will certainly lose more value vs the 2007 and 2008 models. The one you would actually lose the least money is the 2005 as it is pretty much at the bottom pricing and has not changed since like 2012 and in fact has even perhaps gone up slightly.

I have a 2005 F430. It's a coupe F1. I love it. If somebody offered me a 2015 Porsche GT3 I would pass. Did you check which brakes for each of the F430 you are looking at. The newer models may have the carbon ceramic brakes. I only have the stainless steel ones. The car still brakes very well but collects more brake dust. The CC brakes are virtually dustless.

Also...if you're concerned about the F1 shifting...you need to turn the CST off at times especially in a straight line. This will give you the fastest shifts. Sport mode is okay to drive while warming up the car and casual driving. After the car is warmed up and if I'm doing any spirited driving I usually put it in Race Mode. On rare occasions if I want to do a straight line run on a dry smooth pavement then I turn the CST off.

Just a warning...there are some issues with the F430 convertibles. I doubt you'll drive it in the rain but I have heard of leaks and at times the top won't go up and down properly.

Hope this helps

16. ph12

ph12 Karting

Jun 28, 2015
    Los Angeles
    I just realize I have never driven with CST off?!!
    I always imagine cst = commit suicide training
    Cool something new i gotta try