Paint protection film | FerrariChat

Paint protection film

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Omegaelite, Oct 18, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Omegaelite

Omegaelite Karting

Sep 11, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jesse Harfield
    I'm after the best company in the south of the uk for fitting paint protection film. Ive heard a lot of horror stories about bad installers and the film peeling off....

Anyone got any suggestions? to cover the whole of my 458 spider

2. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    Topaz worth getting it to them in london. People from all over the world ship their cars to them - I have sent 4 cars in 5 months to have paint correction work and PPF

3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Depending on your definition of south Paintshield up in Peterborough are one of the most experienced installers

4. bob_Uk

bob_Uk Karting

Oct 13, 2016
    I used

3M VentureShield Motorbike & Motorcycle Paint Protection Film from Chipguard

Speak to Steve and mention Robert's Black 488.

They are in Waterlooville near Portsmouth.

I have no experience of other companies, but they were happy to discuss the options, their web site had many supercars on it and I spoke to someone who had a 488 (same as mine) already done by them.

My picture is on there from a month or so ago.

In the end I went for a full protection and then had EXO I think it was added on afterwards. Having had the car for a while I would now never go for less than full protection - even going down the lanes is less traumatic than I feared.

I was very happy with the result and the cost was reasonable compared to others I spoke to.

5. bluev12

bluev12 Rookie

Nov 3, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Definitely recommend Topaz - they did correction and full PPF on my 599 Aperta and correction and PPF on front and arches on my G63, with spectacular results.

6. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013

I did exactly that on my wife's new G500. 3 months ago, now regret only doing those bits, now having to fly them out to finish off the entire car except roof----who would have that that she would have a Smacked the one corner that wasn't PPF'd 🙈
    [​IMG]

7. XPEL

XPEL Karting
    BANNED

Mar 26, 2013
    Worldwide
  8. AMG Merc

AMG Merc Rookie

Aug 6, 2005
    London
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I was at the Aston Martin factory recently. A chap from an outside supplier was clear wrapping a 177 (there were three present!) with Expel Ultimate wrap. He said is was self healing and could reform over scratches on its surface- sounds amazing. Looked great and hard to tell it was on there.

See: Home - Auto FX Paint Protection

9. Omegaelite

Omegaelite Karting

Sep 11, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jesse Harfield
    Thanks guys just what i needed

10. odf911

odf911 Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    London UK (Chelsea)
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    They do indeed but probably around 10k though ...

11. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    And worth every single penny

12. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    I'd echo the recommendation for Chipguard, Steve did my 599 and it's the best film installation I've ever seen, a view backed up by somebody who works with Topaz.

I've used Topaz (458), Paintshield (599, 355 and California) and one of the Ventureshield installers (California) and I'll be going back to Chipguard for my incoming FF

I'd add Chipguard have proved to be considerably lower cost than the others as well

13. Omegaelite

Omegaelite Karting

Sep 11, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jesse Harfield
    Would you go for 3m, Expel or sunguard?

14. bob_Uk

bob_Uk Karting

Oct 13, 2016
    This is what ChipGuard told me when I queried which product to use. They also had the ability to put on 3M but that was not even an option.

"We use SunTek as its the clearest film out there and in my opinion the best.
    Xpel is a good film but does have some issues with a slight orange peel appearance. "

Again I would strongly recommend just asking the boss Steve - he seemed very approachable.

15. yellowtr

yellowtr Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Peter
  16. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
  17. yellowtr

yellowtr Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Peter
    What a shame. Sorry Mark :(

18. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    My LM is probbaly going to Topaz who has done three cars for me before. They must be doing something right given they have just moved into a new 18,000sq ft premises filled with the most amazing and special cars.

19. odf911

odf911 Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    London UK (Chelsea)
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Yep, I stopped by the other day, the place looks like a surgery room and I think I have seen there (amongst other dream machines) one of the last LF ever produced if not the last ... blue carbon all over.

20. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    It's a shame Tim, they did my 458 but I asked them to quote on my 599 paintwork and film and they failed to come back even after I chased them, seems they're doing so well they can afford to ignore custom :(

My FF goes to Chipguard tomorrow, as said previously half the price of Topaz and definitely a better job

21. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Seems unlike Mazin, but.....

My car goes there a week on Monday and so I will post the process on my restoration thread for anyone interested.

22. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    :thumbup:

23. F458Spider

F458Spider Karting

Apr 12, 2015
    #23 F458Spider, Jul 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is a pic of my 2015 F458 Spider wrapped in Expel Ultimate. Not one person in two years has noticed it's wrapped until I tell them.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. V8coupe

V8coupe Rookie

Apr 9, 2017
    London
    Go Kid Go !

25. V8coupe

V8coupe Rookie

Apr 9, 2017
    London

I’m also looking to do a full PPF cover. As one does, I have called numerous places to get quotes and have a general discussion. Topaz was my first stop but comments from other fitters (which I obviously take with a pinch of salt) and a few highly respected independents have somewhat dented my confidence in them. More specifically, the negatives I have come across is that there are two many people with varying degrees of expertise and that it is a luck of the draw in terms of who is actually doing the fitting. Furthermore, I have heard that it is not uncommon to have 4 people (sometimes more) fitting PPF on panels. From what I have been told , when more than 2 are doing it , fit lines from panel to panel can suffer.

Topaz stil appeals to me but there is something about smaller operations that is attractive to me as well - namely that there is one person who does the painting correction and detailing whilst no more than 2 apply the PPF. I have a sense that this would lead to more predictable and consistent results with a similar level of quality control.

Is anyone familiar with Auto Protek or Cambridge Autogleam? They both seemed highly genuine and knowledgeable when I spoke to them. I also got the sense that their operations didn’t resemble an assembly line.

Please feel free to tell me if I am thinking about this the wrong way. I would appreciate any of your insights.