Stolen: 308 engine lid gas struts | FerrariChat

Stolen: 308 engine lid gas struts

Discussion in '308/328' started by tworley, Oct 22, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tworley

tworley Rookie

Jan 2, 2004
    Sunnyvale
    Full Name:
    Tim Worley
    Someone got into my daily driver and pinch a set of OEM gas struts I had boxed up ready the ship out for rebuild.

I live in San Jose.

Just wanted to let the community know.

2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #2 miketuason, Oct 22, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
    Sorry to hear that. I think what you can do now is keep your eyes on your local Craigslist and Ebay for someone selling the hood strut.

3. tworley

tworley Rookie

Jan 2, 2004
    Sunnyvale
    Full Name:
    Tim Worley
    Thanks,

I was thinking the same thing. I checked today. No sign of them yet.

4. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    The thief probably doesn't know what they have unless you had documentation in the shipping box.

5. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Just the struts stolen or it's among a bunch of things got stolen?

6. Palladin

Palladin Rookie

Sep 25, 2015
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Jack
    You might also try looking in the local pawn shops as well..

7. onboost

onboost Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2004
    DC Metro area
    Sorry about your loss.. and out of curiosity, where were you sending these struts to be rebuilt? Cost to do so?

Thx

8. tworley

tworley Rookie

Jan 2, 2004
    Sunnyvale
    Full Name:
    Tim Worley
    Other things as well. I'm sure they don't know what they have.

9. tworley

tworley Rookie

Jan 2, 2004
    Sunnyvale
    Full Name:
    Tim Worley
    It was a place in Canada, under $200.00 for the pair, I think. I found the name in a thread on Fchat. I was going to look it up again. I sent them an email but some time has passed. I'll see if I can track it down.

I was going to do all that at work, but they never made it to my office. I should have just left them in the garage. That will teach me to be ambitious!

10. tworley

tworley Rookie

Jan 2, 2004
    Sunnyvale
    Full Name:
    Tim Worley
    This looks right JF308

"You can have your existing struts refreshed at about half the price of ordering the parts (if you can find them).

I just used LIFT SUPPORT TECHNOLOGIES out of Canada. Approximately $45 each for the gas filled struts. Very quick, efficient, and apart from a small warranty sticker placed on the struts (which I will remove)...they are your ORIGINAL parts.

Call Stephen Fenner
    [email protected]

Lift Support Technologies,
    215 -22nd Street West,
    Saskatoon, Saskatchewan,
    Canada. S7M-0R1.
    Phone. 306-683-5000

Regards, John "

11. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Were you going to send it to Frank Irvine of STRUTWISE in Canada? If you do, he does an excellent job as I sent my original to him and got it back within a week.

12. tworley

tworley Rookie

Jan 2, 2004
    Sunnyvale
    Full Name:
    Tim Worley
    STRUTWISE sounds like the place I'll use. LST never got back to me. I found the email I sent them.

I still have my OEM front strut, and it is in need of a rebuild.

13. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I lost four intake trumpets that UPS left at my door.

You might as well call TRutlands and get some coming....

14. mustardfj40

mustardfj40 Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northen California
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Wow! sorry for your loss...On the other hand I almost threw away my original struts (ones with Ferrari printed on) away when I replaced them.

15. 1stFerrari@71

1stFerrari@71 Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2013
    Commerce, Texas
    Full Name:
    Joel Jacobs
    IIRC BMW gas struts fit.... don't remember the model... bought two new struts for my 328 from Amazon for less than $60 for the pair.... actually, I think it was less than $50 by a few cents - two day delivery.... old struts had no pony and I don't show the car, so....

16. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Insurance? Comprehensive coverage should pay for it with minimal deductible, and as we all know, these are not cheap to replace with real stuff.

D

17. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    +1 in fact I just got them through Amazon - one click, no tax, free shipping. Granted I'm new to 308 ownership so maybe I'm not understanding why you would want to pay double to have old struts rebuilt? The LST's fit perfect, the stickers peel off. So unless there's something I'm missing it's possible that having yours stolen actually could save you a hundred bucks.

18. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    IIRC, I think I paid STRUTWISE something like $50 for Both of my original to be repaired.

19. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #19 Martin308GTB, Nov 19, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I didn't check yet, but according to discussions on a german forum, the gas struts of the old Fiat Panda (code: 141A) fit after a 10 seconds modification job. Pressing out a bolt on one end's eye. Those struts are $8 - 10.00/each over here.
    I doubt, that this car is widely known in the U.S. Therefore a picture of that sheetmetal box.

Best Regards
    Martin
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Understand using Fiat Panda parts robs you of 15HP.

;)

21. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Means, that you suspect the car could easily have 300hp, if they would have passed on those many Fiat 124/128 parts from factory? :)

Best
    Martin

22. Dino246gt

Dino246gt Formula 3

Mar 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba,
    Full Name:
    Dennis Ezmerlian
    Although we all know that there are parts that work perfectly out there, but there is something to be said for keeping the original parts or replacing with OEM or New Old Stock, totally as close to factory as possible. Depends what each person wants from their toy.

23. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I can understand that sentiment but hood struts? Ferrari didn't make them to begin with nor did they hire someone else to make them. What they did was place the mounts on the 308 to accommodate an off the shelf strut that already existed and most likely fits a hundred other cars. There comes a point where the originality aspect is taken past a reasonable line and really, any 33 year old 308 could certainly benefit if that extra Franklin were invested in something else - think new filters or gear oil change for instance.

24. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    The originals have the Ferrari script logo silk screened on them indicating they are original. Keeping that original logo is the only reason to have them rebuilt.

I have Autozone replacements on my car, but I do have the original parts stowed away in case the concours bug happens to bite and I need them.

25. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    I replaced mine in 2009 the last time. They came from Ferrari UK and that batch didn't even have the horsey nor the Ferrari script. Just the manufacturer 'Stabilus' and their designation 'Lift-o-Mat'
    Therefore the Fiat part, coming from the same OEM supplier would be good enough for me.
    I think there are other parts on these cars where it's more important to aim for originality.

Best
    Martin