Clutch Bleeding? | FerrariChat

Clutch Bleeding?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Canuck550, Oct 24, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    #1 Canuck550, Oct 24, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2016
    I have just completed a clutch / brake fluid bleed / drain, through and independent exotic car service center

The clutch seams to be engaging / disengaging real low in its throw, just above the floor board, in addition, there is a 2 inches of free travel at the top, and it is difficult to select gears. The pedal feels spongy...
    Is this a symptom of the system not being bled properly?

Background..
    I have about 10K Miles on the clutch, and it was working fine with full travel engagement / disengagement prior to the fluid change. And it would engage / disengage in the middle of its throw.

Are there multiple bleeder valves on the clutch?

Thank You

2. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    I've not performed this on a 456/550/575, but from what you're describing, it sure seems like a bleed issue. Perhaps others can confirm where the bleed valves are on our cars.

Also, you don't mention it, but it's worth clarifying: have you checked for fluid leaks? Is the reservoir still properly filled?

Cheers!

Ruben

3. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Might be helpful to post what model car you have

4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    On the 550 there is only 1 clutch bleeder. The clutch line is right over the cat and it can boil the fluid in the line especially if the cat has been tweeked. It is also possible the bleed was not done right. It is also possible a clutch bleed was done and they sucked air because the clutch line in the reservoir is well above the min line which is ment for the brakes fluid level. You can only bleed a small amount of clutch fluid before you expose this reservoir opening and suck air. While this seems dumb on the surface it is a genius safety feature. When fluid drops you loose the clutch and hence your drive long before you can loose your brakes and stop the car. Genius!

5. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    Gentlemen
    Thanks or the responses
    FBB, I do believe the bled let in air as the tech said he bled the brakes once again after the clutch as the brakes felt soft
    Based on what you describe above it may be best to bleed the clutch last slowly as not to let in air
    Will report back later today

6. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    HA! Obviously spoken by someone who has first hand experience with this engineering marvel. Seems that the mere thought of bleeding the clutch was an oversight from the beginning, considering the ridiculously high (clutch) fluid pick-up point in the reservoir. Never though about the built-in safety feature. Learned something new today...Thank you.

7. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I have a small pump through which I bleed the fluid backwards from slave to master after draining the reservoir. Then I prerssure bleed the brake system normal way.

8. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    Just got my baby back, she is tip top, needed a good bleed
    Thanks for all the advice gentlemen
    Ron

9. Andrew D.

Andrew D. F1 Rookie

Jul 6, 2008
    Goodwood Ontario
    Full Name:
    Andrew D.
    After clutch replacement, I tried bleeding from the top no go. The only way was pressure bleeding from under the car till air came into the reservoir. No air in system no clutch problems since.