308 GT4 Suspension Rebuild | FerrariChat

308 GT4 Suspension Rebuild

Discussion in '308/328' started by PDB, Oct 20, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PDB

PDB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    Leicestershire, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hi,

I'm planning to rebuild the suspension on my '74 GT4 over the winter and replace all of the bushes etc. I'm also intending to replace all of the nuts, bolts, collars etc. and also get the various parts repainted or replated as necessary.

The problem is that I have no idea what parts I need. I've had a look on the Suoerformance website, but it is rather confusing.

Does anyone have a list of all the parts I'm going to need please? I want to use standard rubber bushes and subject to what I find, I may also replace the bearings.

Paul

2. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    #2 dflett, Oct 20, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. GavC

GavC Formula Junior

May 9, 2004
    Lincolnshire, Englan
    Full Name:
    Gavin Culshaw
    Paul
    If you need any advice give me a shout I am not far from you and have rebuilt these suspensions many times. You will need new wishbone bushes as a starter along with anti roll ones, Superformance do a kit. Remember wishbone ones are welded in so will need grinding weld off then press out and re weld. This can be tricky, shocks are straight forward. Powder coating all parts should cost around £100-200 depending where you go.

4. PDB

PDB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    Leicestershire, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thank you both, that is really helpful information.

The standard setup for the front suspension is with 30' of positive camber, but I recall reading or hearing somewhere that they benefit from having some negative camber, does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Paul

5. GavC

GavC Formula Junior

May 9, 2004
    Lincolnshire, Englan
    Full Name:
    Gavin Culshaw
    Negative camber both front and back with a little extra castor on the front. Goes around corners on rails, though rear tyres do wear more on inner edges as I was running large amount of negative previously. I set the car up as per the guides allowed in the FOC race series. Now dropped back a little on rear. Can't remember what setting have currently would need to measure again.

6. davidgt4

davidgt4 Karting

May 28, 2003
    Surrey
    Full Name:
    David W.
    Hi Paul

Would certainly second Gav's advice on the camber and castor - gives a really good handling set-up. You have good local help!

David

7. PDB

PDB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    Leicestershire, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I finally got started on dismantling the rear suspension at the weekend and apart from the bushes and everything being covered in a thick layer of accumulated oil and dirt, it all appears to be in good order.

I want to get the suspension arms repainted, but I know the bushes need spot welding in place. What is the accepted best practice? I'm assuming that I should remove the old bushes, strip and clean the arms and then reinstall the new bushes before repainting.

Is there somewhere that can refurbish the Koni shock absorbers and get them looking like new again?

With regard to the camber and caster, do you have any numbers?

Thanks,
    Paul

8. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Yes, I would replace the bushes, weld them then mask the new bushes and paint, as you describe.

If you are in the US, Koni US will refurbish them for $140 per shock plus parts.

9. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Jun 2, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy M
    I ended up sticking my Koni's in the loft and fitting new adjustable shocks - which worked out cheaper than refurbishing the Koni's. (They are also lighter and funnily enough, adjustable)

Before I made this decision, I spoke to Shaun Pickering and IIRC it was over £100 a shock to refurbish them - but then you need to add in new bushes etc. which pushed the price up a bit. Shaun was good to talk to and would have got mine had I gone down that path.

Damper Workshops and Serivice Centres

Check Maserati Source on Ebay for the bushes etc. Although they ship from the states, I still found them cheaper than anyone in the UK.

10. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Does more caster help with the steering wheel unwinding exiting corners ? That's what the car needs. Thx

11. PDB

PDB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    Leicestershire, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
    More caster certainly increases self-C entering of the steering, but increases the steering effort required.

Many thanks again for all of the responses. I've done a few small jobs on the car since I've had it and I've generally enjoyed working on it and it helps that it is in pretty good shape, but it is really great having the combined experiences and skills of the forum's members to call upon when needed.

Very much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Paul

12. GavC

GavC Formula Junior

May 9, 2004
    Lincolnshire, Englan
    Full Name:
    Gavin Culshaw
    Glad your enjoying working and learning about these great little cars. Camber and castor setting for the race cars are set out in the FOC race guîdlines, as mine is in it's carcoon for the winter I don't have current setting and would need to measure them. Suggest setting up somwhere in the middle of the guidelines and go from there. They are easy to adjust with the large washer/spacers on the wishbone mounts

13. jimgolf1

jimgolf1 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2013
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Jim Small
    #13 jimgolf1, Feb 8, 2017
    I completely rebuilt the suspension on my 75 GT4. I personally went with the Energy bushings instead of welding back in the original ones. They have been great. I powder coated all the a-arms, sway bars, re-plated all the bolts, rebuild and repainted the Konis and replaced every bushing. Rides better than new. Alignment is set at stock settings. The one mistake I made was in not sending my shocks directly to Koni. I used an authorized rebuilder and they wouldn't give them back to me unless I paid them double the quoted price. Cost me over $2k to get my original shocks back. I would avoid Performance Shock Inc in Sonoma, CA.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. PDB

PDB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    Leicestershire, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #14 PDB, Feb 8, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    That looks a lovely spread of shiny parts. Do you have any pictures of the rebuilt suspension?
    Sorry to hear about the Koni rebuild problem. That is outrageous behaviour.
    Do you have any details on the Energy bushes?

Thank you,
    Paul

15. PDB

PDB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    Leicestershire, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #15 PDB, Apr 14, 2017
  16. PDB

PDB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    Leicestershire, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #16 PDB, Apr 14, 2017
  17. johnhunt

johnhunt Formula Junior

Aug 9, 2013
    Washington
    Full Name:
    John Hunt
    Dave Feinberg (Ferrari of Bedford) will be an invaluable resource for this project. He has all the hardware and advice you will need. Be sure you have budget for the pin bushings.. that and the shocks are send out items (Feinberg for the pin bushings, koni for shocks).
    Look for a guy called "Maserati Source" on ebay. He has some great sales from time to time on some of these bits (front ball joints, steering joints).
    My sway bar bushings from Superformance were too small and fell out under use. Had to order correct from Bedford. (I like Superformance and buy all sorts of stuff from them).

I painted mine with POR15 and a top coat of chassis black paint.

Suspension is awesome now.

18. PDB

PDB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    Leicestershire, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hi John,

Thank you for the suggestions, however, did you read my last post "All finished"? :)

I finished the rebuild today. I got most of the parts from Superformance, apart from the CV joints, which came from a guy in Germany and we're much cheaper than I could find anywhere else. The seem nice quality and came a ps a complete kit, including boots, collars and grease.

I'm pretty please with how it tuned out, so I'll do the front suspension next winter.

Paul

19. johnhunt

johnhunt Formula Junior

Aug 9, 2013
    Washington
    Full Name:
    John Hunt
    Looks great. Sorry I thought that was someone else showing there completed work.

20. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Jun 2, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy M
  21. PDB

PDB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    Leicestershire, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thank you. It was my first Ferrari overhaul and for the most part, I've enjoyed it and I didn't uncover any horrors while I was in there, which is always a concern with a recent acquisition.

I changed my mind every day for about a month over the bushes and whether to go original or Energy. In the end I went with original style bushes from Superformance.
    I had all of the bolts re-plated, but all of the nuts and washers are new. The CV joint bolts are new as are the outrageously expensive nuts. The nuts alone were over £120.
    Apart from a couple of minor errors, which were quickly rectified, Superformance have been excellent with ordered parts generally turning up the next day. Highly recommended.
    I stripped and rebuilt the hubs and had to split one of the special hub nuts because it was seized, which also ruined the thick washer underneath it. Superformance had the nuts in stock, but not the washers, so they sourced them elsewhere and had them shipped direct to me at no extra cost.

I've also drained the gearbox and refilled it with Redline oil, which seems to be the product of choice by those in the know.

I'll let you know how it feels when I drive it later today.

Paul

22. PDB

PDB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    Leicestershire, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I have a problem. :(

Fitted the wheels, dropped it to the floor and refilled with oil. Spun the motor over to get the old around and then fired it up.

What a racket! The exhaust was badly blowing from somewhere.

Jacked it up again and had a good look around and discovered that one of the heat shield mounting mounting bosses on the front manifold had completely broken away, leaving a gaping hole. It now looks like I'm going to have to remove the manifold to get it fixed, which by all accounts is a mare of a job to do.

Feeling a bit pissed off at the moment. :(

23. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Jun 2, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy M
    Paul, the manifolds aren't a terrible job, it's just all the other jobs that need to be done whilst you are in there!
    You should be able to lash something up to postpone the work until next winter.
    Tin cans, jubilee clips and a few Holts products will get you there.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

24. PDB

PDB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    Leicestershire, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
    That's what I was thinking Andy. I've already taken the RH fuel tank out and most of the hardware for the A/C compressor, so I think I can now get in there to lash something up to tide me over.
    We're booked on a Euro Classics tour next weekend, so I need to do something before then.

Paul

25. PDB

PDB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    Leicestershire, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It's all back together and I've been out for a short test drive and it feels terrific. The exhaust repair seems to be working, at least for the time being and the rear suspension feels taught and rattle free, so I'm really please with the outcome.
    I'll do the front suspension next winter and if it turns out anything like the rear has done, I'll be delighted.
    It already drove beautifully, but it's now on another level. :)
    I've got a brand new Jaguar F-Type, which is lauded for its handling prowess, but honestly, I think the Dino is genuinely better. Despite the huge rubber on the Jag compared to the Dino, the Dino turns in better and holds a more consistent line through the corners. It also feels better balanced. Modern cars are so reliant on electronics to maintain grip and control, the designers seem to have forgotten how to design genuinely good suspension.

Paul