Removing the leather from the front seats | FerrariChat

Removing the leather from the front seats

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by stekkefun4, Oct 26, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    #1 stekkefun4, Oct 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I was just removing the leather for a customer and throught it would be handy to describe how to do this.

1. Remove the rails: unscrew 3 screws on each rail of the bottom cushion and remove 3 screws left and right which hold the back rest.
    2. Once the 2 cushions have been detached, you can start removing the leather:
    3. Bottom cushion: remove all metal hooks with pliers, use the force ! Detach all springs that are attached to the metal bars and cut the white wires that hold the leather to the cushion in the middle of the foam. Then, I had to cut the stitching left and right next to the metal pins to make sure the leather would not be torn apart when pulling it over both pins. Now carefully remove the leather from the cushion.
    4. Back rest: first remove the back plate to get access to the inside. Remove all hooks, springs and white wires holding the leather on the cushion. Carefully detach the leather from the back and move it upwards direction head rest. As you can see on the pics: you have to cut in the foam to reach both pins located in the metal bars that hold the head rest in place. Remove both pins and remove the head rest. Carefully remove the leather from underneath the black plugs at the top and you're done!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    indeed intresting to see how it is connected inside...

Guido

3. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Is the leather just sitting on the shaped foam? How do the big creases in the seats, with the stitching in the valleys stay in place and in the shape? Is it glued to the foam? I ask because I was wondering if I could remove the seat cover and add some new foam to the driv ers left side bottom cushion bolster, which has flattened out a bit over time. But I don't want to damage an otherwise great seat and leather. Any further perspective on this would be great.

4. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    The leather in the middle of the cushions are attached to the frame below with springs and fine white wires, through holes in the foam.

5. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    #5 Alden, Oct 27, 2016
    You can see the springs attached to the bottom of the leather pleats in this pic:
    Alden

6. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Excellent information!!! Thankyou for taking the time :)
    All the best Bell

7. drfink

drfink Karting

Oct 8, 2015
    Roanoke VA
    Full Name:
    Dean Fink
    Thanks for working with me on the seat leather Stefan. I cant wait to see the original seats back in the car!

8. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    No problem Dean, I like taking things apart to understand how people at the factory have made all this.

9. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I had my seat bottoms swapped. The passenger was in great shape. Where the driver seat was a bit crushed down Is now against console on passenger side. It was a nice temporary fix

10. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Interesting info. in this thread. PV, I presume the two seat cushions are in fact identical? Swapping them is a good idea, with each seat wearing uniformly, the patina with age will look fine without the drivers seat looking noticeably more tired from more frequent use. Kind of like rotating tires!

11. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #11 PV Dirk, Oct 29, 2016
    This shows after seat bottoms were swapped. You can see common damage to the one now on the passenger side. No one has ever noticed. Stands out a bit in this picture. My upholstery fellow suggested this instead of rebuilding foam as mine is a driver, not a show piece.

And thanks to Stefan. It's good to know what it looks like under there. Someday it will be on my to do list.

12. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    It is also very easy to just swap the entire seat out, 4 bolts on each side and you are done.

The release for back seat access will be next to the console, but it is still reachable and how often do you really access the back seats that way?
    Alden

13. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Remember our trip? :) it's used a lot and I am at a point I need to call Stefan for a replacement part! lol. We do "did" a lot of trips :cool::cool: