488 Spyder Front Lift option | FerrariChat

488 Spyder Front Lift option

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Shack, Oct 30, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    I am torn whether I actually need this option. I don't have it in my Speciale and its never been an issue.

Any comments from 488 owners?

2. 100badboy100

100badboy100 Formula Junior
    Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hi Jon

I have specked it on my car which is due for delivery next year.

I did to and fro on it for a while, as I did with the electric mirrors and parking cameras, as all 3 options will be rarely used and they cost a few quid!!

But in the end I came to the conclusion that none of these options can be easily retrofitted should I change my mind, and I will be cursing myself when I scrape the front bumper up on a curb or car park ramp, scrape the mirror down a narrow lane, or back into a low post that I didn't see...

So in the end I went with all 3 " save the scrape' options, but bloody expensive for what they are......

Hope rhat helps?

Regards

Michael

3. Patrick21x

Patrick21x Karting

Apr 11, 2014
    Orange County
    I spec'd it on my 488 Spider arriving in Feb. I am in Southern CA and our roads are pretty smooth. But Ill never forget the time I was in my Scud. I went into a shopping center and the exit had a very narrow and steep exit (Only way out). There was no avoiding it, I scraped the front corner. Thankfully I had thee skid plates installed, and it did absolutely no damage, but still I hate that scraping on pavement sound. While in my SUV, I have drove in and out of drives that would have most certainly been horror in a F Car. I remember going through these spots thinking, "Dang, I am so glad I am not in the Scud right now".

When I saw the 488 had the new lifter option, It was an easy choice to get. I may not ever really need it. But I will sure be glad I have it, should I find myself in a similar circumstance of the past.

4. Tonza

Tonza Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 31, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    488 isn't any more issue than 458 wrt driveways. Not necessary for most situations. But when you need it, it is nice to have. I'd skip it if you don't have issues where you typically drive.

5. BG23

BG23 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2015
    Australia
    I had the same question before ordering my coupe. I don't regret ordering it one bit, it makes otherwise stressful situations a non issue. Just yesterday I had to exit a carpark which had a much steeper exit than the entry. There is no way I would have made it without scraping without the lift.

6. lamarmotte

lamarmotte Karting

Feb 5, 2014
    France
    The front approach angle of the 488 is 8,5° against 9,5° for the 458 ( + 4 cm front overhang for the 488) .
    8,5° is too low for underground parking ramps
    I check this option on my 488 GTB

7. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Thanks All

Seems like on balance its worth keeping this option

Also thanks as did not realise the overhang was longer and that's definitely an issue

8. bob_Uk

bob_Uk Karting

Oct 13, 2016
    I chose the option. I borrowed a dealer car for the weekend before it arrived without the lift and I winced every time I went over a speed hump.

The lift makes things a lot easier and you feel more relaxed.

The key is to realise it beeps when it "deploys" but does not when it drops back down. Be very careful as you can miss it!

I think it is the best value option I purchased as my non-technical mind feels there are quite a few bits added to the car to make it work.

9. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    I had it in my 458 and never used it. Didn't get it on the 488 and have never missed it. I skipped it on My spider order as well. The 458/488 front end is not that low. Unless you have some crazy driveway save your 7k or use it for other options.

10. 997usa

997usa Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2014
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Full Name:
    Robert J.
    Had it on my 458 and used it once; didn't order on the 488

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I will echo those that ordered the lift. Ordered it on my 488 Spider and had it on my 458.
    Didn't need it on the 458 until my club installed composite speed bumps, thank goodness I had the lifter or I would have been unable to drive the car to the club.

I consider it an inexpensive insurance policy.

12. graphicdisorder

graphicdisorder Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2015
    Johnson City, TN
    Used it a few times on my 458, probably only REALLY needed it a couple times so it was nice to have but honestly most of the time not needed.

13. lamarmotte

lamarmotte Karting

Feb 5, 2014
    France
    The design of the front bumper of the 488 is different, with the front overhang +4cm the fornt approach angle is reduced

I prefer spend 7k in an useful option than a cosmetic option

14. bob_Uk

bob_Uk Karting

Oct 13, 2016
    I am guessing no one lives in the UK - as soon as I approach home the lift goes on as it really does make that difference where every other puddle is probably a pothole. Every route I take has some kind of speed bumps from short cut residential roads to the Supermarket entrance road.

The UK is the other reason I have full PPF - it's about half a mile of single track road to home with tight hedges each side and potholed passing places.

Also in the UK the lift was £2,880 inc taxes so at just over 1% of the car price was one of the best value options. Must be serious mark up elsewhere if 7k is either dollars or Euros.

15. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Thats the problem as its US$10k for me hence the question. At £2,880 i would not care

16. ferr9000

ferr9000 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2013
    Full Name:
    SFF
    In my country front lift is a must due to streets and access. I ordered it for my 70 anni 488

17. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    What do I care how anyone spends their own money. There is no wrong answer. Just the OP wanted opinions from owners. Like I said I had it in one car and not the other and it made zero difference in my ownership experience or how well the car held up, cosmetics or resale. I live in a big city and put around 4000 miles a year on these cars. Just my experience, nothing more....

18. mdslone

mdslone Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    South
    Full Name:
    FerrariM

I do not have the lift option in any car I own, and I rarely scrape. If I do it is not a big deal at all. However, everyone I have talked to about the 488 including the dealer said for resale it is recommend. So I went ahead and did it on the 488. Hope this helps

19. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Yep, same reason from my dealer. I will decide when I lock the spec as if I do keep the car longer than my normal 1-2 years I wont bother

20. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    I'm going to skip the front end lifter (and save the costs) and instead have skid plates installed.

21. fastmover

fastmover Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2009
    NA
    I have the carbon fibre front spoiler and I ordered the lift on my car. I used it the first week I had the car going down a steep decline into a parking lot I have never used. If I didn't have the lift I would have had to choose between scraping my front or trying to reverse 50ft up a hill and hoping no one would show up behind me.

22. kev360

kev360 Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2006
    Not sure how helpful this will be but thought I would offer it up. I have a 2016 F12 and cracked my $6k carbon front splitter on a parking curb at Starbucks. I have the lift and front camera so I was being stupid and non attentive. The lift, if I am smart enough to deploy it, helps me clear the parking curbs. Saves me a ton of stress. I don't own a 488 but the F12 has a long nose and it's tough to judge where the front nose is.

23. lamarmotte

lamarmotte Karting

Feb 5, 2014
    France
  24. mdslone

mdslone Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    South
    Full Name:
    FerrariM
    I have an SLS along with an F430 and neither have the lifting capabilities. Out of 5 years driving each car I have only scraped the ground twice. Once in each car. I am conflicted my self on whether to keep the lifting option on my 488 spider due to it being so pricy. In my opinion it is an option that would rarely if ever get used, but could help you somewhat on resale. ALSO your Ferrari dealer can install the factory lifter on the 488 no problem.

25. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Absolutely 100% recommend the lift. I don't care how your roads are where you live. Sometimes you're in areas where there not so great. This should be standard (fat chance) on all these low slung cars. I had it in my 458 and it saved the underside on more than one occasion. Leave out some other options but not this one.