Queen Mother vs. Queen Mary vs. Queen? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Queen Mother vs. Queen Mary vs. Queen?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by cbreed, Jun 27, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doug Nye

Doug Nye Formula Junior
    Honorary

Jan 21, 2008
    UK
    Very belated response to this thread just found - Jenks didn't write for 'Autocar' is point one, and point 2 is that to my certain knowledge he regarded the larger Ferrari products as "great gormless devices" seeking to find a lucrative upper-crust market for wonderful engines and gearboxes. On our island here the enormous 'Queen Mary' transporters were so-named because on a winding country road they seemed as big, and took as long to pass, as the great RMS 'Queen Mary', the triple-funnelled ocean liner, herself. If Jenks - or anyone else - attached that same title to the biggest Ferrari it wouldn't have been to show admiration or respect... Sorry about that.

2. torquespeak

torquespeak Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    The odd wording of R&T's road test strapline... 'the Queen Mother of Ferraris'... still stands unresolved.

I had always understood the 'Queen Mary' moniker in the UK to be a reference to the 2+2's girth (and not in a good way), as you say Doug.

-Ed

3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    What is unresolved about it? The original article is right there on page 1 of this thread.

4. torquespeak

torquespeak Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Yes, I do own an original copy, thanks. As stated in my earlier post #16 (in reply to your post #13), there is no reference made in the R&T article to the car being 'The Queen Mother' *because* it is 'refined and sporting'. None whatsoever.

I understand that's your assumption of why they used that strapline, but it's unresolved in my view because it's never been made clear why they used that wording at all.

-Ed

5. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    #30 donv, Nov 2, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
    I think it answers pretty definitively the "queen mother" vs. "queen mary" question. As to what, exactly, the author was thinking, well, your guess is as good as mine.

Who wrote the R&T article?

Since, as you point out, it was a sub-header, the line was probably written by John Bond. Or maybe Dean Batchelor?

6. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
    Grrrr,

It's the Queen Mary, Mother.

7. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa