Maserati Levante | FerrariChat

Maserati Levante

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by wings, Oct 23, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Anyone have an opinion on the Levante? Drove it for the first time ( Not the S model ) and felt it was ok but $84K??

2. Foncool

Foncool Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2011
    They are being sold at MSRP and above.

3. boxndoc1

boxndoc1 Karting

Jan 25, 2007
    North America/Italy
    i have driven both models and its very unimpressive ..
    i waited years to buy this car and after owning other maserati
    (grand turismo-s , QP ) this one is not worth it ...
    i went out and got another suv,, what a shame ,, i hope they step up the
    game

4. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    it's a Jeep!

who could not see this coming? Maserati should steer clear of Chrysler! It's the opposite of the Chrysler Maserati. In this case is a Jeep with possibly a fancy leather interior and Maserati motor...

I was critical at Amelia two years ago and the guy just went off saying a Cayenne is a Volkswagen and the Maserati is going to be vastly superior to a Cayenne!

5. gf1red

gf1red Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2006
    Staten Island N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Mike G.
    Was at a car show recently and a rep was there with an "S" I to was not impressed, the running boards were plastic. I told him it looks like an Infinity on a Jeep platform. He told me quietly that I wasn't the first person to tell him that. Teasing him I said that this thing is a 45k car at best and the lease should be $2999 down and $399 a month.

6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I was in one at a Ferrari dealer last week and talked to the mechanics about it. It's not on a Jeep platform. It's on the Ghibli platform.

the interior is nice and it has all the bells and whistles you would want on a modern luxury SUV

Would you buy it over a Range Rover or BMW or Cadillac or Mercedes or Porsche or Lexus or Infinity? I'm not sure. It's a tough market for the performance daily driver SUV market. They are 5 years to late at a minimum.

7. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    I've saw a couple at the dealer last week. I think they look great inside and out. And they are cheaper than comparable Cayenne with same features and power. Cayenne's are cool, but they are everywhere where I live. Having the Maser would be cooler imho due to rarity.

(thinking about it, that's literally exactly why I have my Gransport. I had a 996 when I first moved to Scottsdale, but after a couple of days of seeing literally a hundred 911's while driving around, I took the Porsche to the Ferrari dealer looking for something a bit more rare. I'd never seen the Gransport and they had one there on the lot...I love Porsche's, but sometimes you want something a bit different than the crowd)

8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

Yah but would you want to take to the Maserati dealer and have it sit there for two weeks when you can get it back the same day at your local BMW dealer?

That to me is the question. Porsche has the same problem but it's "a Porsche". I'm not sure Maserati people will accept that with their daily driver SUV

9. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    I think you are correct! I recall there being so much negative feedback because of the previous Maserati-Chrysler that it became a non-starter, and thus why it took so long for it to actually materialize.

10. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    It is indeed an improved Ghibli platform.

I have not driven it yet so I can't comment but from up-close, it's more convincing than in pictures. It also looks much better in person than the Jaguar F-Pace, which I thought would be gorgeous in person. Sadly the F-Pace looks partircularly cheap in person.

Maserati global sales are up 53% and the Levante has roughly 18,000 orders so far. The Levante will definitely help Maserati and that only means more exciting propositions in the future.

http://www.lastampa.it/2016/10/25/economia/fca-trimestre-record-utile-netto-a-milioni-f9KtzKbQePpuO4LJeknB1K/pagina.html

11. Maserati Blue

Maserati Blue Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2010
    Europe
    I drove the "S". Removed the stability control, set it to "Sport 2" mode and it drove like a proper Maserati. Hard to make it drift with 4 wheel drive. The exhaust sound was spectacular and scared lots of drivers. So no complaints here.

BUT... once back in comfort mode, it drove like a normal car, rather unimpressive, but thats what you'd expect from an SUV that targets a wider audience (mom's going to school, shopping, etc).

The exterior is much better than I expected and waaay better than any other SUV that I've seen. But, the front trident is.. erm... not sure how to say this but it looks horrible. Its fake and not a real trident, maybe due to safety laws?

The interior is as you'd expect, similar to the current Quattroporte and Ghibli models.

Would I buy it? No, not really. Because I'd like my Maserati to be a sports car with two doors. That is my personal preference, of course.

PS:
    A happy surprise was the suspension. I didn't expect it to be so good with the lifting system.

12. Foncool

Foncool Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2011
    That is due to the adaptive cruise control. Drop that feature and get a proper trident.

13. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    #13 isuk, Oct 25, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is the Trident on a non adaptive cruise optioned car. You can see it has a cut away effect around the three prongs of the trident. The second photo shows the Trident on a car with adaptive cruise which has a solid plastic badge which the radar camera sits behind.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^ Man, the things I learn on this forum! :)

Am glad to hear the feedback on driving and handling. There is one at the local Ferrari-Maserati dealer and the wife and I thought it was handsome looking for an SUV, better looking than the Jag as someone mentioned above. However, am trying to steer the wife towards an FF. Fingers crossed! ;)

T

15. lamborarri

lamborarri Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    Just went to local dealer for a test drive event. They even let me and wife to bring it out for lunch, like 2 hours.

I don't really have anything good to say besides it's a good looking SUV. The interior build quality is the same as Ghibli and QP, all cheap chromed plastics, wood trims fell like fake plastic from Walmart, not even up to BMW wood trim level, more like a car in $40k range. I'm an old school guy. I love luxury. I love wood, metal, and leather. Everything looks like wood, metal, and leather in this thing, isn't actually one. Lol at least they don't feel like good quality one. Very disappointed TBH.

The exhaust sounds nice at certain low rpm range, once revving it up, it sounds like farting. It's nothing like the Grand Tourismo or last gen QP.

Was looking for a SUV for my wife, but my wife has the same impression like me even tho she has no interested in cars. In the end, she said it nicely "you can have one if u like it. I don't want it."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Foncool

Foncool Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2011
    The problem is the cars being offered for test drives. All the dealers were shipped 3 pre-spec cars to use as demos. The people that ordered these cars are exChrysler now working at Maserati North America. They were ordered as base units with as many technology options as possible, but keep the price around 80k. Add a few grand more and the quality of the materials (leather, wood etc.) is night and day. The driving dynamics of the car itself is probably best in class.

17. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    Maserati suv... yack!
    Next mc laren pickup truck?

18. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    When I looked at the pre production versions last spring it all looked top notch. In fact I was concerned that the leather on the door panels was too nice and would easily be damaged during the typical duty a car like this will see. A more rugged high quality vinyl with carpet on the bottoms of the doors seems like a much better idea to me.

Italian interiors while typically gorgeous have always tended to be more delicate than those on other cars.

19. lamborarri

Nov 15, 2015

Everything looked good till I landed my hands on it. All the bottoms and mechanisms in the car give me a light and cheap feeling. Leather is very nice but the form on the seats feel cheap when sitting on them.

I think I should have said it more clear, looking alone is fine, driving it is pretty good too, I like its driving dynamic even better than Cayenne. Visually, the interior is the same if not better than Range Rover Bio level (I had a 14). However, touching, feeling, and everything sensible feel like a slightly dressed up 20k cars.

Some ppl don't care the actually use of the materials, my comments would make no sense to them. Just like ppl who buys Ghost, Wraith, and Dawn, those aren't the ppl care about what it's made of, instead, they care about the visual presence. Same as ppl who buys Levante. Well, I'm not one of them. Anytime I'm buying any true luxury car, I could careless about tech, nav, etc, but I'm extremely care about leather, metal and wood. That's why the Levante isn't for me.

20. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Dressed up $20K car? Really? You sat in a very different car than I did. And If you're expecting Rolls Royce Wraith levels of materials at $80K I think that ends your input on this thread right there.

21. lamborarri

Nov 15, 2015

Lol you don't understand.

22. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I apologize . Perhaps english is not your first language?

23. Foncool

Foncool Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2011
    Please refer to my previous post. It all depends on who is ordering the cars. The cars that the dealers received for demos are pre-speced by exChrysler employees. As such the cars have base leather, base trim etc, But showcase the technology. In a few months when production can catch up with the sold orders, then you will see stock orders come in with the upgraded leathers woods etc.

24. lamborarri

Nov 15, 2015

Yes

25. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    Thanks for that info...

Would that explain the delay in seeing Levantes on the road?