PPI | FerrariChat

PPI

Discussion in 'Louisiana' started by Anthony James, Oct 28, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Anthony James

Anthony James Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2012
    Essex
    Any recommendations for a garage to perform a pre purchase inspection in the Vicksburg LA area?

2. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Lindsay Automotive in Kenner, LA. Literally on the side of the runway @ New Orleans' airport. I have had my car taken care of there, & they are first rate. I've seen F40, F50, McLaren F-1, Aventador, Muira, and normal stuff like my Mondial, 328s, etc... there, fixed, & gone.
    Nice folks, as well.

3. Anthony James

Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2012
    Essex
    Thank you David, I will contact them.

4. henrygondorf

henrygondorf Rookie

Jan 7, 2015
    NOLA
    going to be harder to find people to do these inspection, to many people getting burned on payment.
    Everyone has an opinion you know, so they may say the sits are great, the new owner says they or crap, credit card gets stopped. One PPI Blown, seen it to many times

5. Anthony James

Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2012
    Essex
    Well I have no intention on burning anyone. I just give them my credit card and they can do an inspection to give me an idea of the current condition of the vehicle. I live some 1200 miles away, and going out to see the car will not tell me anything that I probably don't already know. But having it checked by an experienced facility that can see if potential work will be immediately necessary or previous work was done incorrectly would be prudent. An engine fault code could be a simple oxygen sensor or a massively expensive air mass sensor.

And, what are "sits" ?

6. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    The folks I recommended are no BS car guys who happen to have vast expertise in Ferraris & some other exotics.

7. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    I recommend you set a criteria. Are you most concerned about mechanical condition or cosmetic appearance, or both? PPI technician can only offer his opinion based on past experience. It is somewhat subjective.
    A large part of any business relationship is managing expectations.

8. henrygondorf

henrygondorf Rookie

Jan 7, 2015
    NOLA
    seen it happen where a guy gets the PPI done buys the car, gets the shop to install a tubi. So, now the shop is in it for a few thousand dollars, the guys get the car, he said the pictures and opinion of the shop on the seats were bad or he did not like them, pictures or opinion.

The guy contests the credit card charge, the shop out $5,000. Boom

The guy got the car, and a free tubi, it just how shops are getting burned on a PPI by a $250 charge.
    Since this happen no more PPI's

9. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Jim, are you ready to wade into this discussion?

10. Anthony James

Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2012
    Essex
    +1 Bertocchi

I actually am compiling a reasonable list that should keep a tech's time to 3-4 hours. (or there about) That will deal with more mechanical then cosmetic. Send it to them, and see what transpires.