Viva Mexico - bringing #854 back to life | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Viva Mexico - bringing #854 back to life

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by lbird, Aug 3, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. eogorman

eogorman Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Buhl, ID
    Full Name:
    Eugene O'Gorman
    Before you install the pistons I would carefully mike the bores with the head bolted on and with out. My experience shows the cylinders will be egg shaped if you do no bolt a false head onto the block before honing. the block will distort when the head is bolted on. If the type of hone you used was a ball hone it should not be a problem but from your pictures it appears to be a fixed head hone.

2. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Heck!
    Pete

3. Dino V

Dino V Formula 3

Sep 21, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Excellent progress on your restoration! Enjoy following it every step of the way, thanks for sharing!

4. chriskindl

chriskindl Rookie

Apr 2, 2010
    I am not posting very often but can foresee some trouble.

Agree, it is really recommended to hone the cylinders withe a false head only. Regardless on the honing head is used, because the cylinders will distort (egg shaped, cloverleaf shaped, etc.).

The way the cylinders are temporarily bolted to the block in your foto will cause some distortion to the cylinders, because the washer gets the load asymmetrically. To deliver proof: Please mike the cylinders with bolts and without the temp bolting and you will recognize.

In general: mike at least 3 - 4 directions and 3 heights (or better use a fitting sleeve which is 1/100 under).

5. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    We will check that, thank you for the hint!

6. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    I just confirmed the liners were bored and honed with a dummy cylinder head mounted to prevent distortion (like one would normally do), the picture was a bit misleading....

7. wilde

wilde Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2009
    France
    Hi Lbird,
    where did you order your engine parts ? MIE ?

Regards

8. Dalin

Dalin Rookie

Jun 3, 2013
    Great job you are doing, and thanks for all the stories! I am finding some things useful for my other car restoration as well!
    Good luck!

9. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    #159 lbird, Oct 12, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
    Regarding the engine parts: Some of the smaller parts (bearings, chain tensioner, gaskets etc.) are from MIE, but the really important parts are tailor made. Liners are from a company in Italy, the pistons are made to order from Wahl in Germany, head bolts are made to order too, the timing chains are from a company in Germany...

10. wilde

wilde Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2009
    France
    Why didn't you choose MIE ? More easy for you, bad quality, less expensive ? I'm starting to dismantle my car for a complete resto. I have already bought many engine parts but for the moment I don't know the condition of my engine. Important parts are coming soon...

11. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Most of the parts were from suppliers my engine shop has very good experiences with (they did a couple of Maserati engines in the past). And since i put new liners in the engine anyway i wanted to use standard sized pistons. But the JE pistons from the US are only available oversized. Therefore i opted for tailor made pistons from Germany (Wahl or Mahle deliver similar superb quality) - more expensive, but that is not a factor when choosing crucial engine components in my opinion...

12. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    #162 lbird, Oct 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    One little question: I noticed the position and type of air filter on the Bradan Mexico restoration thread. That one is a series 1 Mexico with the snake like filter in the right wing. Is that type and position of the air filter the same on the series 2 cars?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. The Surveyor

The Surveyor Karting

Nov 11, 2015
    Newcastle, England
    Full Name:
    Paul Spensley
  14. redfred84

redfred84 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    SF Bay Area, USA
    My '61 3500 GT (AM101-1512) utilizes this same snake filter. Strange that they would skip around with its use like this.
    RF.

15. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    #166 lbird, Oct 28, 2016
  16. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    #167 lbird, Nov 3, 2016
  17. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    This is awesome! I hope to see you finish and show it!

Good luck.

18. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Next question: Washer jets. Does somebody have a close up picture how the washer jet on a series II Mexico (or any Mexico for a start) should look like? I have no jets at all, so i will have to install new ones. For reference purposes i would appreciate a close up picture big time!

19. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    #170 lbird, Nov 10, 2016
    It is funny that one thread deals with dismantling a Mexico while this is all about getting it back together again :)

We are making some progress, one fuel tank is installed, the trunk opening mechanism works, side vents are in place, the air filter sits where it belongs and lots of little things.
    While putting the left door together we realized that some parts are missing for the right hand side. I have a complete spare left door and the right hand side mechanics, but all from a series I Mexico. If somebody has the mechanics (window opening mechanism, motor etc.) for a series II Mexico right hand side door please give me a hint.

The color looks absolutely spot on in my opinion - i like it.

BTW: Washer jet problem has been solved, we found the correct ones.

20. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    #171 lbird, Nov 16, 2016
    I need some help from you, guys! I need some detail pictures of an original Mexico Series II door with the Indy doorhandles (see picture of my drivers side door - door handle and lock already works). I am especially interested in the trim parts around the windows (inside and outside) and on the narrow side of the door facing the B pillar (with the red light facing backwards etc.). I would appreciate any detail pictures of any car with these features. Thank you in advance for your help, it is appreciated big time!

21. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    #172 lbird, Nov 16, 2016
    Well, the car has got some kind of face now. Looks much better with the lights attached..
    Something not that nice: I do not only need the mechanism for the right door, the powered window itself is missing too....
    But doorhandles and locks work on both sides now.
    Another question: What is the right colour for the tridente? I have seen golden and silver ones mixed. What is correct?

22. wilde

wilde Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2009
    France
    Hi Lbird, I definitely must upgrade my account to post pictures... My trident, who looks very original, is gold with red sides.

23. wilde

wilde Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2009
    France
    My car, as you know is a series 1, I will try to take pictures this weekend.

24. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Thank you, a picture of your trident would be nice to get an idea of the right colour. I think gold would be correct. There is no need to take any pictures of your doors, since series 1 is so much different. I need to find somebody with a series II for that.....