Which way through Europe in typical Maranello speed?? | FerrariChat

Which way through Europe in typical Maranello speed??

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by F456M, Oct 28, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Hi guys.

I just drove from the top of Danemark down to Venezia in Italy with my little speed boat behind my newly-accuired 2002 M3 convertible. The shortest route is A7 through Germany and into Austria/Innsbruck and over the Brenner mountain pass down to Desenzano where we stayed the first days. A7 is (sorry to say) now in terrible condition, and fast driving is almost impossible due to big trucks, mostly only two lanes and very rough road surface. I have left the car and boat there, and flew home. Now, I considder to take the 550 down too, but now of course without any trailer... :) That means I want to make her fly...!!! What about first one night in Berlin, and then southbound in the east of Germany??

Great advices are greatly apprechiated!

2. NoSpeedLimit

NoSpeedLimit Karting

Sep 6, 2013
    Many of the big trucks that damaged the A7 came from Denmark.
    I often drive on Sonday evenings from Northern Germany to the southwest part.
    Trucks (except trucks with food) are not allowed on German Autobahns on Sundays til 10PM. I very much enjoy driving through the Kassel Montains with more than 100m/h. However, I never dared to go much more then 200km/h on the other parts. Too risky when it becomes dark. Also during daylight you only can go very short stretches with speeds above 250km/h. I only do it, when the middle and the left lane are free.
    Normally the German autobahns are to full.
    Here is a site with some stretches where people drove very fast:
    Autobahn-Speedhunter

3. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Thank you. I drive from Norway and Sweden. It is probably our salmon export trucks that destroyed your Autobahns... Thanks for the advices.

4. pkl03

pkl03 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Jeez, you guys are lucky, I envy you.

In most states in Australia our max speed limit is 110km/h with plenty of speed cameras and police waiting to take your license and money.

5. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    But we also have six months of winter.

6. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik

True, and that is why the car is going southbound... Norwegian and Ryan Air flies to south of France (my fav area) and Italy every day for 40-70 dollars!! That is what I use in a bar in half an houre..... Better to stay sober and drive the Maranello. Better for my physical and mental health too :) We are going down on Saturday! But because of massive snow fall tomorrow, I am picking up the car from the paint shop (again) to move it away from the snow. Hope it is ready to rock. Not everyday I get the opportunity to drive accross Europe in a blue/cream V12 Ferrari 😃😃😃😃😃

7. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    ..while being chased by a Scandinavian snowstorm. Amazing drive, have fun.

I don't have the details but regarding routes, but a few years back a German manufacturer launched one of their cars in Bayreuth and the driving route through the Bohemian Forest around the border with Czech was phenomenal. A bit off your route though.

8. NoSpeedLimit

NoSpeedLimit Karting

Sep 6, 2013
    Avoid hilly areas in winter. You never know if it will snow. The Germans use salt. Who wants to drive a Ferrari in this conditions. This year we had snow in April in the Kassel Montains in April. A lot of people got stuck. No fun to sit in a cold car for hours.
    Saturday seems to be a good day to drive. The temperatures will be not too low. Next week it will be below freezing during the nights.
    A good day (the only good day) to drive through Germany is the 24th of December. Germanies Christmas day. People who want to drive to their families drive earlier. If the roads are dry it's fairly relaxed driving.
    I don't care about the temperatures in Germany the next weeks. We will fly to the Seychelles for three weeks and go sailing. When I look at the wheather report it will be more motor boating. No wind.

9. Jürgen Geisler

Jürgen Geisler Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2015
    Good old Europe
    Full Name:
    Jürgen
    #9 Jürgen Geisler, Nov 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Erik, honestly spoken, I would postpone your trip to the forthcoming year....

Having spent the previous week at the area of the Lago di Garda as well as in close to Brixen (Bressanone) i really enjoyed my time there really much. Six day's of pure sunshine and temperatures around 20 degrees. Enjoyed four of my favorite passes in Italy (Falzarego, Grödner Joch, Pordoi Joch and Sella Joch - unfortunately not in the Maranello...). But…, I might have also had to face the first snow.

On most of the austrian and italian roads from the 15th of november on, winter tyres are obligatory and within the next days I even expect the first salt on the highway's. Better to keep your Maranello save at home :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

F456M likes this.
  10. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Beautiful pictures. No, the 550 is going south.... I hate to have it in a garage with no action. We have salt (and lots of small stones) all the way to mid May! No way that car is going to stay half a year like that. I might keep it in France. Might put winter tires on the M3 instead. I am actually going to work for a few weeks in Desenzano so I bring my dog too to avoid aircraft travelling as he is only seven months now. Looking forward for some autumn Maranello driving 👍😃

11. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    whatever you do, dont go through switzerland.

12. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Juergen -
    beautiful pix!
    Where is the view in the first pic? Somewhere on Garda?
    TIA,
    James

13. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Why not???? :)

14. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    speed cameras everywhere.
    tickets indexed to your income and net worth.
    and if you are caught at more than 30mph over the limit, you go to jail - no exceptions.

15. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    is that for anyone? (U.S. residents also?)

16. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Why do you expect the law to be applied differently to you ?

17. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Um, I don't expect it to; just asking if its different for non-residents....how would they calculate a non-residents income/net worth? interesting topic...
    kevin

18. MogulBoy

MogulBoy Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2004
    Devon
    It's not quite as bad as Ross portrays but it if you were caught above 100km/h (62mph) in town where the limit is 50km/h (31mph) a Swiss resident you could face jail and an income related fine.

On the autoroute, you would need to be caught above 200 km/k 124mph (where the limit is 120km/h (75mph)).

Cars can also be confiscated.

This also applies to tourists as some unlucky Brits found out this summer but I do not know how it ended for them. See below link in French.

20 minutes - Les bolides de chauffards britanniques séquestrés - Romandie

P.S. There was one case in Geneva recently when someone avoided jail when they argued that a temporary speed restriction on a piece of autoroute meant that the victimless crime(!) had much more serious consequences (for the driver) than it might otherwise have done been, but you simply don't want the hassle of having to fight this sort of thing in court. See below link...

20 minutes - Délit de chauffard annulé pour la première fois - Suisse

19. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    You can do it the french way: the judge is allowed to impound the car, confiscate it (deprive you of it for ever) and have it sold at an auction...

Rgds

20. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    As long as the troopers ain't got no 48-valve 5,5 liter V12, they haven't got a chance....... 😈😈

21. MogulBoy

MogulBoy Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2004
    Devon
    I'm sure that the Swiss would allow your trimmer to visit you and might even allow him to decorate your cell in the finest quilted Poltrona Frau leather, in cream with contrasting stitching naturally! ;)

22. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    One of our writers was speeding in Switzerland, with a 48-valve, 6.0 litre V12 (Aston DBS). He got caught (roadblock), spent the night in jail, big fine.

This is my favourite Swiss speeding story. His fine alone would buy a 456, a 550, a 575, a 612, a 599 and a 360.

Swedish driver gets world's largest speeding fine after 180mph chase | Daily Mail Online

23. Jürgen Geisler

Jan 16, 2015
    Good old Europe
    Full Name:
    Jürgen
    #23 Jürgen Geisler, Nov 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    James, thank you. The picture has been taken at the Lago di Garda. When you exit the autostrada arriving from the Brenner Pass this is the first glance at the beautiful lake laying below. Afterwards you'll arrive at Torbole....

....and yes, better to avoid speeding in Switzerland ☺️….

24. Jürgen Geisler

Jan 16, 2015
    Good old Europe
    Full Name:
    Jürgen
    Erik, Desenzano is a very nice small village at the lake. I have been one week ago, sure, you'll enjoy it. At this region usually no snow at all, you can see and drive the Ferraris all over the year....

By the way, there are a lot of exceptional RIVA Mahagony boats stored around the Lake. Visited this time one place where there were between 25-30 stored - and there are some of them...

25. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    @Jürgen: That is very interesting. I love Riva boats. Right now we are in Berlin and the V12 is in the hotel garage! I managed to escape in the last minutes just before the snow were starting to freeze on the E6 highway in Sweden. I got delayed one day because I had to show a customer a boat before it was put in storage for the winter. That exact day, we had terrible weather in Southern Norway. Was out on the water for half an houre in almost dark and gravt wind and snow playing around with 2x800 hp gas V8s! Believe it or not, the guy bought the boat! We are heading down to the Mercedes museum today and continue to Italy.