Cirrus SF-50 | FerrariChat

Cirrus SF-50

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by jcurry, Nov 1, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
  2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I think it will be a success and I'm not a fan of the Cirrus piston aircraft. Would I get one? No, I would get a Mustang.

3. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #3 Juan-Manuel Fantango, Nov 1, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #4 rob lay, Nov 1, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. VWH3RD

VWH3RD Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2003
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Neat airplane but i wouldn't buy it either. If the first customer is any indication it will be scary with hundreds of low time pilots flying around in the flight levels.
    "First customer for the SF50 is Joe Whisenhunt, a Conway, Arkansas, real estate developer who has owned nine piston-powered Cirrus aircraft since he began flying eight years ago. He has accumulated about 500 hours since then. "

How do own 9 planes in 8 years and fly that little?

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    more cents than sense.

7. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    But a Mustang doesn't have a chute!!!!!!!!

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    neither do real pilots. :D ;)

9. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Many piston turbo aircraft are flying around in the flight levels, and have been for decades. Anyone getting in a turbine will require type training, something the vast majority of piston guys do not have.

10. VWH3RD

VWH3RD Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2003
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    I disagree . I rarely come across guys above 18k.in flying pistons. I think all you need for the Vision Jet is a high altitude sign off but I could be wrong.

11. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I've been in the flight levels in a NA piston. Not that I wanted to be there, but those damn mt waves on the east slope of the Sierra's can be quite the ride.

Cirrus is going to be providing factory direct type training (plus annual recurrent training) in a full motion simulator.

Sec. 61.31

Type rating requirements, additional training, and authorization requirements.

(a) Type ratings required. A person who acts as a pilot in command of any of the following aircraft must hold a type rating for that aircraft:

(1) Large aircraft (except lighter-than-air).
    (2) Turbojet-powered airplanes.
    (3) Other aircraft specified by the Administrator through aircraft type certificate procedures.

12. VWH3RD

VWH3RD Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2003
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    "I've been in the flight levels in a NA piston. Not that I wanted to be there, but those damn mt waves on the east slope of the Sierra's can be quite the ride."

Yeah thats the difference between the east and west. You certainly have good reasons to fly that high on the east coast not so much

Cirrus direct training for the Type is interesting for sure.

13. sigar

sigar F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2005
    NorCal
    I for one think it will be a success. It seems like a very good value.

14. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    Want me to go ask him? I live here. There. You get it.

GT

15. VWH3RD

VWH3RD Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2003
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    No I don't really care and No I don't "get it". It is just odd to go thru that many planes that quickly with so few hours. However I don't follow the Cirrus market and maybe the flip market is strong few those planes.

16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    you don't get it!?! EXACT same thing as guys on the hook with dealers playing the 6-12 month flip to get the latest new model and first in line. those cars aren't driven much either. :)

17. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    Accelerated depreciation? I'm surprised Cirrus wants such a low time pilot in the a/c.

18. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Is the Cirrus market that hot?

19. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Consider the guy buying a SR-20 for his primary training. After getting his PPL he buys a SR-22. Then every year, when Cirrus makes incremental changes to its line-up, he buys a new one. Over 8 yrs it would be easy to have 9 different (Cirrus) aircraft. Some people always want the latest and greatest.

20. CavalloRosso

CavalloRosso Formula 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA/Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    SVO
    The Cirrus Vision jet (SF50) will be a huge success. First, Cirrus is a marketing genius. There's a reason there are over 6500 Cirri (sp?) flying around and Cirrus has emerged in a short period of time as the largest (by numbers) manufacturer of GA aircraft.
    There is no doubt that the CAPS (parachute) will be a strong selling point to non-pilots (read spouses) just as it has been in the pistons.

Where it will suffer is turbofan performance limited to FL280. However you look at it jets are just plain inefficient at those low altitudes and indeed the per NM costs are higher than the Eclipse, for example, which has two turbofans. After the honeymoon period jet operating costs will be shocking to some.

Training is also potentially going to be an issue as it will indeed need a type rating. Cirrus will likely minimize this as it will probably bring all initial training in-house at the Knoxville facility.

It will be a very cool plane. The interior is absolutely amazing. I, for one, hope it does very very well. We need more infusion of pilots into GA and this cool, new plane may just be the answer.

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I think you nailed every point 100%!

22. CavalloRosso

CavalloRosso Formula 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA/Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    SVO
    Thanks Rob.

23. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I agree. How does the interior compare to the Eclipse?

I always that that if I ever got an Eclipse, I would just run it in a 4 seat configuration, sort of like the SF-50.

Also, is the FL280 limitation just because they don't have RVSM yet, or is that a permanent limit? And if so, why?

24. CavalloRosso

CavalloRosso Formula 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA/Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    SVO
    The interior is really quite lovely. They did a fantastic job with it. I actually prefer it to the Eclipse. The Eclipse in a four person configuration is amazing and very roomy. I typically run mine in a five person configuration and typically take out the sixth seat and only put it in when I need it. That is one of the nice things about the Eclipse that allows you to take seats in and out.

The vision jet will never be certified above FL280 for a variety of reasons. One is that there is no back up plan for pressurization with only one engine. Also, look at those giant windows. It will be impossible to increase the psi differential to accommodate flights above FL280.

25. Jacob Potts

Jacob Potts Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2008
    Pueblo, CO
    Full Name:
    Jacob Potts
    Unless you use transparent aluminum! :)

https://youtu.be/LkqiDu1BQXY