Battery Cut Off Switch F430 | FerrariChat

Battery Cut Off Switch F430

Discussion in '360/430' started by Scotsguards, May 27, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scotsguards

Scotsguards Karting

Jun 12, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Full Name:
    RPB
    Hello fellow FChatters! Have a small problem and hoping you guys with more experience can help? I killed my battery!, yes I know dumba**! Anyway, my plan, remove battery and re charge it. Sounds simple? One small problem, I don't have a master battery cutoff switch. Where it is supposed to be is a black rubber plug. I removed it and behind it is rubber coated steel firewall. No switch in sight! I have a 2007 coupe, are there different locations for the switch? Thanks for the help Mates!

2. Scotsguards

Scotsguards Karting

Jun 12, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Full Name:
    RPB
    Well found out some info on the battery switch. My car didn't come with one! FYI, I put in an Optima battery (34r), took a while to get the brackets to fit. I used a piece of wood to wedge it in. Yes, very redneck! But I do live in Tennessee! Also, my battery was replaced at a Ferrari dealership about 2 years ago. Apparently they used an Interstate, no problem, however they didn't connect the vent hose! Makes you wonder about what kind of quality work you are paying for!

3. Apexsniper

Apexsniper Karting

Aug 13, 2015
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Anyone know if your car doesn't have a main battery switch is it safe to go ahead and continue to access the battery through the footwall and disconnect?

4. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo

Not sure what u r asking. How else would you do it?

5. Apexsniper

Apexsniper Karting

Aug 13, 2015
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I am asking because apparently not all the 430s were made with the main battery switch.
    This was news to me today and all of the reading I have been doing states to be sure to turn it off. Just making sure I am not missing anything, a switch in a different place etc...?

6. yangstein

yangstein Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    There is a master swith in the front trunk left upper corner that you could turn off/on.
    I would not recommend to use it as onece car is started, you need to input radio code plus alarm will go off as you drive. I am not sure this is what you are looking for.

Can't you recharge the battery when it is still intact using a portable charger? When I do not drive for few days, I just automatically connect the battery tender to avoid any conplicated issue.

7. docster

docster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 14, 2004
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    David
    On my '08 F430, behind the round black rubber cap on the passenger (US) side of the firewall in the boot, there is a socket-head bolt; can't remember offhand if it's Allen or Torx, but I think it's Allen. Rotating this counter-clockwise w/ appropriate tool disconnects battery. Clockwise re-connects it. So the switch is still there--at least on my F430--just not with an accessible key like in the past.

I used it when needing to do an ECU "reset" (for reasons I can't recall at the moment), and it worked fine. Did need to input the radio code afterwards, of course.

HTH...

8. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    It's an Allen. I keep one in the tool kit just in case.

9. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    #9 ShineKen, Jun 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    On my 08 Scud, it's a Torx head, which I dont have. Dammit. If anyone happens to know the exact size, would be greatly appreciated. Would like to buy just 1 , not a whole set, to keep in the car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Mine is an 08 too and I'll bet its a torx too. But I slid an allen wrench in and worked perfect. Try an allen, i don't know the size.

11. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    The battery switch in the front compartment is a T40 torx size- i am told this is in the black negative line rather than the red positive. They stopped fitting them on later cars. If you need to charge the battery it is safer and easier to remove the panal behind the passenger seat and fit a temperary bolt in 1 of the fixing holes and connect the negative- you can then connect the positive to the main power terminal behind the seat. Having to access the battery is a hard job and then to get the connection onto the battery with out shorting out onto the holding brackets.

12. bkthomps

bkthomps Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2012
    USA
    i have a 2009 and it is one of the last produced VIN's, it has the battery cut off with T40 torx

13. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    It is a T40 tork head

14. scuderia09

scuderia09 Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 6, 2007
    The front shutoff switch will only cut of 3/4 of the voltage, best way to charge battery remove rear panel behind driver seat and there a Tall ground bolt tower and positive connector , some 09 models have a plug in connector on right side under dash that makes life easier

15. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    How does a switch turn off 3/4 of the voltage . The switch is actually in the negative line for some reason

16. HIO Silver

HIO Silver Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2016
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Alonso C.
    Dunno about the "3/4 voltage" cited... unless there is a capacitor hiding somewhere because disconnecting the negative side would disable all circuits using a chassis ground.

When disconnecting a battery, the negative cable is always removed first and reconnected last. This is to avoid a dead short... a circuit without a load.

17. scuderia09

scuderia09 Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 6, 2007
    #17 scuderia09, Nov 5, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
    Shutoff cut out SOME of the negative system on the car not all of it, there's 2 negative cable coming off the battery termial ,shutoff cut out the main cable but there still another ground cable that run's the alarm and ECU system which still have voltage, if you look at the battery and Circuit system behind the rear panels you,ll see about 4 positive and Negative cables branching to different circuits and they get there Negative from the chassis ground post behind the panel and the Neg. battery termial.

Nicholasspeece likes this.
  18. HIO Silver

HIO Silver Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2016
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Alonso C.
    Thanks for clarifying as to WHY the statement of "3/4 voltage" is de-energized.

19. Atlantic

Atlantic Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2015
    Porto, Portugal/New York, USA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    So does my 09 Euro F430 ...T40