the California key fob sucks! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

the California key fob sucks!

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by rob lay, Nov 3, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Ugly. Looks like a USB drive. And, as someone said, no cavallino?!?
    T

2. Peter P

Peter P Karting

Dec 22, 2011
    Boston area
    Wow, that's disappointing, even garrish. No cavallino, and worse yet, an oversized "Ferrari" emblazoned across the back -- really? Nothing subtle or classic about that. Reminds me of the absurdly large Polo brand logos on the shirts that the ball boys/line judges wear at the US Open tennis event. Sometimes less is more.

3. fsprow

fsprow Rookie

Oct 21, 2007
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Sprow
    I guess I've been with the sports car genre too long (started with an MGA, many Corvettes, Porsches, Ferrari) but I never thought presumed enthusiasts would expound at length over a key fob.

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    OK, so I wasn't imaging things. this morning the car wasn't beeping locking or unlocking.

5. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Do the lights still flash once/twice upon closing/opening?

I wonder if the sound can be turned off in the settings? I would not mind turning it off, since the flash is enough for me. The beeping is loud as all get out.

T

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    no lights weren't working either, it did it once. we haven't messed with settings, but sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't (beeping & lights). never when pulling the handle has it been locked when thought unlocked or vice versa, so mechanism still working.

7. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Rob, if electronic components fail to work, especially when the engine is not running, turning the alternator ...it may well be your battery is not supplying sufficient voltage/amperage.

If you are the new owner of a used recent model Fcar, you should make sure the battery is working properly because it can pretty well ruin your driving experience if the battery "only sort of" works. ;)

8. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Before I've mentioned that I find my Cali's key very basic and simple to use even on the dark because it only has three buttons. When I put it inside my hand facing upwards, as soon as I touch the trunk opening bottom button which has a depression on the surface I know straight away that the top left button opens the doors and the right one closes them.
    However today I've experienced a bit of what Rob pointed as being the negative aspects of this key. I got out of the car with the key on my hand and pressed the trunk opening button and nothing happened, I pressed it again and again and it felt soft and nothing happened. I was a bit puzzled and thought may be is the battery or the button is not working properly so I opened the trunk with the button located on the driver's floor. Afterwards closed the trunk again and pressed the button on the key and it opened at the first touch. Since I've opened several times the trunk with the key and everything seems to be normal.

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Our GranSport does that, but usually other symptoms lights dim or harder to start. So far acts like the California is still 100% battery, but the beeps/lights sometimes don't work.

10. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Fcars probably incorporate more electronics than Masers.

You need to actually check the battery before and after driving. If the battery tests high when engine is running or after a long hard drive and the beeps work again, it's likely the battery. Use the battery tender.

Be aware the Fcar batteries today do not test like regular batteries. It's too complicated to explain here but only the dealer has the correct tester as they are customized for Ferrari.

11. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    This thread got me wondering about what type battery the Cali fob uses. It's a CR1220 as reported elsewhere on F-chat.
    [​IMG]
    Just ordered a 5 pack from Amazon for $5, just to have some extras lying around, if needed.
    T

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    ahh, good point, maybe it is the key and not the car!

13. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    If your complaint is about your key locking and unlocking the car without beeping (you had written: "...when you lock or unlock the car, it really doesn't make any identifying locking sounds or beeps like most cars."), then I highly doubt it's due to the key fob not working.

The car does not have a separate sensor for the locks and "the beeper". If the key can activate the locking system, it is the car that triggers the "beeper", not the key.

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    no, but if battery bad in key it won't active the car.

15. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Why do you say that? If the key locks/unlocks the car, it would be the car that activates the "beeper" loudspeaker, not the key.

16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    The battery in key had to work to activate it remotely. Geez, between this thread and the 2010 Cali thread I'm starting to think you are a troll or just partially clueless.

17. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Unless you consider a difference in opinion or an honest technical discussion a troll, NO.

You should also refrain from making disparaging personal remarks against me for pointing out your mistake. I don't call you clueless and I've only been trying to politely help you. Calling me clueless is actually a provocation and should itself be considered trolling behaviour.

I'm frankly rather baffled by your belligerence and lack of restraint.

As for the battery in the key, it only powers the radio signal that the key sends out. Once the car is able to receive the signal it's the car that will operate the locks, flash the indicators and beep. The key does not operate the beeps, it's one of the car's ECU that operates the beep. Whether the car beeps or not after the car operates the locks has nothing to do with the key.

18. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Batteries for the fob are a buck a pop on Amazon, so it's a cheap and easy experiment. I ordered a 5 pack last night.
    T

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    no **** and my intermittent symptoms are almost exactly what a weak key battery would cause. you just want to argue its not the key when it seems like it is the most likely root cause.

just like you were arguing in another thread a $90k depreciation shouldn't be consideration for a user that can't handle a $30k service bill.

you aren't a troll, but man you are frustrating to converse with, I guess thick is the nicest word.

:rolleyes:

20. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Rob, you are entitled to your own opinions and it's also your car, so you can do as you please. However, you should lay off making personal attacks.

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    when you go to lengths that start getting near trolling territory be prepared, it is my job and right. you have absolutely no good thinking or reasoning for some of your posts on both issues. if you honestly don't know better then it is something intrinsic with you and I just need to ignore, if you really are trolling I need to make sure we figure it out as mod because you will do it to other users too and not good for community.

22. JPA

JPA Karting

Feb 3, 2016
    Southern California
    Rob, let us know if the battery resolves the issue. I'm experiencing a similar issue with my second key. Best

23. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I am merely standing up for my rights to be treated fairly and with respect. As far as I know, people are encouraged to discuss their ideas in a polite manner, even if they hold a different opinion. Being polite also means ultimately agreeing to disagree to avoid bad feelings.

So as I said earlier, you are entitled to your own opinions and it's also your car, so you can do as you please. I think that's a very reasonable and polite answer to your message.

24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    whether $90k depreciation is significant for someone worried about $30k doesn't give much room for opinion. neither does if a key is intermittent, it might just be the key battery.