Over-inflate to reduce flat spot | FerrariChat

Over-inflate to reduce flat spot

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Helbreath, Oct 31, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Helbreath

Helbreath Rookie

May 3, 2005
    I have been travelling recently and I drive my cars every 4-5 weeks. To reduce the effects of tire flat spot I always pump the tires close to max pressure -10%.

I have just wondering if this repeated cycle of stretching the tires will do more harm than good. I will welcome all comments.

2. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    I add about 10lbs to tires for cars I store. I don't think that does any harm considering the extremes in pressures tires go through with different speeds and temps while driving. Maybe if they are way over inflated for year or more it could be detrimental?

3. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    My car sits idle for long periods between driving holidays. I've recently started using flat stoppers - will be interested to see if they actually work!!!

4. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    IMO 4-5 weeks is no big deal and does not require any added pressure. When storing for the several cold winter months around here, I inflate to max and use the dense foam storage blocks under each wheel. Of course, have the service done and a nice detail as well as full tank with fuel stabilizer and a soft cover. Keep the charger on and the critters away and hope for an early spring.

For now, the weather is awesome and getting in some epic rides when I can. Just love my car! We are all so lucky.

5. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    I found that simply parking my cars on deep plush pile carpet works really well to stop flat spotting.

My Jag has always been bad to do that and the first 10 minutes of a ride were always interesting until the flats went smooth.

I went to a local carpet place and got a few 12" wide strips of really good, thick carpet scraps and parked the cars on them.

No more flat spotting, even after sitting for a couple of months!
    Alden

6. hvdaytona

hvdaytona Karting

Nov 8, 2015
    +1, I was told the same thing by my Aston service manager

7. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    #7 DavidJames1, Nov 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. adci

adci Karting

Oct 3, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    AD
    Who makes those?

9. adci

adci Karting

Oct 3, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    AD
  10. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Nice idea, think I'll have a go at those. Is that a 930 I spy?

11. RAKLAW

RAKLAW Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2009
    Westchester,NY & Sarasota FL
    Full Name:
    RAK
    My only concern with those rubber angled devices, is the excess clutch wear employed getting my car up on them. I stopped using them for that reason, and went with thick cardboard

12. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Correct - well spotted - they do two widths - I just get the larger ones which cover pretty much any width of tire I'm likely to have.

13. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Those are the ones I use. They are a dense foam impregnated with an asphalt-like material. Dense and supportive. My car is low so I jack each side and slide the ramps under the tires.

14. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Not with a DCT box, clutch is wet.