Has anyone replaced 488 exhaust with a Capristo? | FerrariChat

Has anyone replaced 488 exhaust with a Capristo?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by mw575, May 17, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mw575

mw575 F1 Rookie

May 30, 2001
    Lake Oswego,Or
    Full Name:
    Martin J Weiner,M.D.
    I love my 488 however the exhaust note is disappointing having had an Italia and a 458 spider.It is sonorous rather than sibilant and I miss that 458 scream.I realize it is a negative to the biturbo system. What about a capristo system?

2. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    #2 Bundy, May 17, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    NO new exhaustsystem can cure that .... ever ... sorry !

4. BMan14

BMan14 Karting

Dec 31, 2013
  5. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    Very hard to tell from that video. I'm looking forward to seeing other alternatives and hearing some in person. When I was making the descion to replace the exhaust in my 911 TTS, the videos all sounded like crap. After hearing the GMG system, I loved it and installed a system on my car. For the TTS, it made a very big difference. Interestingly, with all the criticism of the Porsche TTS sound, I actually love the way my car sounds and get compliments from all my Ferrari buddies on our spirited drives all the time.

6. Capristo Exhaust USA

Capristo Exhaust USA Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 29, 2009
    Riviera Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Capristo Exhaust
    Hello,

Here is a great video of our exhaust system also a link to our website for more info.
    There are 2 different Capristo 488 systems.
    1) 488 Valved exhaust w/Sport Cats (200cell) (Including Remote & heat shields)
    the sport cat version will NOT cause a CEL

2) 488 Valved exhaust w/Test Pipes (Including Remote & heat shields)
    the test pipe version WILL cause a CEL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpryXCLS9DI

here is the link to our site for all of our 488 exhaust and carbon products.

Ferrari 488 GTB

Contact Erik Krammer with any questions
    [email protected]

7. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman

Thank for sharing the info Eric. I'm assuming the video is with Catless exhaust?

What would be really nice is to hear the cattless, catted and stock exhaust all in a video, all set with the camera and mic in the exact same spot on the car. That would be the true test of how the exhaust sound differs.

8. Alex@TAG

Alex@TAG Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Feb 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex@TAGMotorsports
    So we have yet to do the Capristo System - however we just recieved our IN-HOUSE 488 GTB and have the Akrapovic System arriving next week to install/photograph/video. We will also be doing all 3 variants of the Novitec Exhaust on there as well!

9. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    Congratulations Alex!!! How do you like her? Looking forward to your testing of exhaust systems.

10. Alex@TAG

Alex@TAG Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Feb 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex@TAGMotorsports
    Thanks Arnie. Call me I will give you some impressions. She's under the knife already as we speak!

11. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    I know everyone has their "favorites" when it comes to exhaust systems, I gathered that much when doing my own research. I recently added Capristo to my 458 Spider and LOVE the improvement in sound, the remote valve control also works flawlessly, and that was a must have. Most important to me was that Eric and crew were willing to install the components I purchased and the work was exceptional, both in detail, and care taken with my car. Very highly recommended.

Jim

12. RobertM

RobertM Formula 3

Apr 17, 2005
    Weston, Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert M
    Interested to find out more

13. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I'm sorry, but that was awful.

Here's what a Ferrari should sound like. A 458 Speciale with straight pipes and Frequency Intelligence exhaust. Go to about 20 second mark and turn up the volume :) Yes, it's crazy loud because of the straight pipes. But you don't have to go this extreme with a NA engine to get glorious results...IMHO of course :)

https://youtu.be/3skeFbZV8RU?list=FLa9ppGpHZezb2lx8GgrMftA

14. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Very nice, Erik. Your 488 exhaust sounds great in the video, and videos typically don't do convey the full sound of any exhaust. BTW, my son's middle name is Erik - spelled just like yours, after my late German mother, Erika.

15. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
  16. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Call me spoiled by good sounds from 458's but these are not impressive. Better than stock yes. But not sure I can move on. Maybe it's just me.

I have no dog in the fight...sold the Italia and Speciale and have slot for a 488 Spider.

Just not convinced the car is an upgrade for my preferences.

17. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    #17 PhilNotHill, May 22, 2016
    Last edited: May 22, 2016
    I had Tubis on my F355 GTS and 360 Spider. Pulled the vacuum lines on the 458 Spider so the baffles are open all the time. Audi RS5 and Porsche Boxster S were ordered with the sports exhaust option. Still own and drive them.

I guess the sound is important to me. So l would get the best sounding system available (which one?)...or keep the 458 if the sound wasn't to my liking.

18. veilstylez

veilstylez Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2005
    SoCal
    heard Bens 488 with capristo at full throttle leaving a C&C....... that screaming ferrari sound is completely gone on the 488. The start up and idle sounds good tho... But Capristo on everything else sounds good.

19. IWR

IWR Rookie

Aug 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ivan Romeo
    I am a Tubi technical partner, so I want to try to convert some Capristo's fan to Tubi brand!
    So please, listen to this clip with no brand preclusions

https://www.facebook.com/tubistyle/videos/10154608184361477/

It has been recorded with a downpipes + mufflers solution.
    This video make also a preview about the new incoming TUBI valvetronic system

https://www.facebook.com/tubistyle/videos/10154624510316477/

A complete solution that I think guarantee something more in terms of sound when compared to the other competitors.
    Capristo is a good brand: they started with Ferrari and Maserati spare parts, than they developed their first exhaust products inspired by Tubi products, now they are one of the best supercar tuning brand available in the market. But when you buy TUBI you know that you are buying a product that is racing (and winning) on every GT3 / NGT Ferrari car around the world.

I think that it can make the difference when you think about the development process of a product (not only sound and 2 seconds performance, but also reliability).

20. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    Save your money and just get an exhaust valve controller and leave all else stock.

21. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    +1

22. GiveMeSomethingICanUse

Jan 26, 2016
    #22 GiveMeSomethingICanUse, Nov 17, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
    Ok seriously, how is this not a 10 page thread of endless compliments and awe? You are absolutely right, THIS is what a Ferrari should sound like. If I had that setup and sold it to buy the 488 I would enter a deep and lasting time of depression. I don't know how many threads there are about 488 exhaust upgrades. My guess is some people ordered the car before the sound issue became known and now as the initial rush of more power is starting to fade they are starting to miss the sound of the 458. And I really can't blame them. I wish it wasn't so. The 488 is such an incredible looking car.

Edit: just took a listen to that YouTube video with the 488 w/capristo and it's like it's just about to get started on the scream rev range when the limiter kicks in and forces a gear change. It does sound better than stock.

23. 997usa

997usa Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2014
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Full Name:
    Robert J.
    I bought the novitec exhaust. Installing it in three weeks. I won't event listen to the stock exhaust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. Robert P

Robert P Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2014
    London
    I'm thinking Novitec as well. Look forward to hearing how you get on.

Are you adding sports cats?

25. 997usa

997usa Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2014
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Full Name:
    Robert J.
    No, just the valves exhaust with the novitec switchtronic valve controller. Don't want to mess with ecu and warranty claims down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk