Hot starting issue on 360 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Hot starting issue on 360

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by mrpcar, Oct 1, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    A test at the rail would be the go. :D:D

Do you know if there is anything in the fuel system to hold pressure in the fuel rail Eddie? :):)

I recently had this exact same problem with a friends car and I diagnosed a faulty fuel pressure reg. Replaced it and it fixed it. Car cranks first time, every time when hot. :):)

But.............I have a faulty fuel pressure reg in one of my cars for over 8 yrs now. I rarely drive it, so I havent been too concerned about replacing it. I should have ordered one for it the same time I ordered one for my friends car. :cool::cool:

Im such a malaka! :eek::eek:

2. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    To me, that sounds like the first 1-2 secs of cranking is pressurizing the fuel rail. Then it starts straight up the 2nd time because the fuel system was just pressurized. :D:D

Has to be a fuel pressure issue. :):)

My old Ford (with ****ed fuel reg), on first start up I crank that mother for a few secs, then I stop. I then hit the key again and it starts right up.

If I keep cranking the first time, it will eventually start after 15-20 secs. But its no good to crank the starter motor for that amount of time every time you want to start the car.

A few little cranks to build pressure up to the fuel rail, then stop to let starter cool for a second or two............then I fire the old girl up. :D:D

3. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Guys, sorry to bust your bubbles. Here is why.

If I continue to crank when it is hot it will still not start, so that don't really explain there is a fuel pressure issue.

When engine cools down it starts normally, so again not a fuel pressure issue.

I am beginning to think maybe I have injector issues, as every time after difficult cold starting I notice a slight back fire during gear change to me sounds like the injectors maybe dripping.

Maybe I need to pull the injectors to send out for cleaning.

4. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Wade,

I was thinking that too. Ground issue? Maybe the hall effect sensor by the flywheel?

Thanks

5. kens

kens Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    You know, when electronic components begin to fail it is heat related. Isolation of the component is diagnosed with a cooling spray. Buy a can of cooling spray at your local electronic shop. I suggest cooling the crank position sensors, etc., one at a time. The solution is very evident once the bad item is cooled and you get a fast start.

6. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Good idea!

7. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Oh, glad we got that cleared up then. :D:D

Nope, dont sound like a fuel pressure problem to me now. :D:D

And I dont think its a fuel injector issue either. But if they have never been cleaned and you have some miles on your car, send them out to be cleaned anyways. ;);)

Sounds electrical. Hopefully something simple, electronics can sometimes be a HUGE pain the ass to sort out. :eek::eek:

8. sidned

sidned Rookie

Jun 16, 2010
    Northampton, UK
    Full Name:
    Darren
    My mechanic told me that a 360 will only turn over 6 times before it assumes there is a problem and will not start. It will continue to turn over but won't start.

9. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Well, my starting turnover lasts about 2 seconds before the engine catches when it starts cold (normally), about 4 seconds before I give up and turn the key off when hot, but the engine will catch on immediately subsequent try. I never kept the key turning to see how long it will take before the engine will catch when it is hot, I think most probably 5 seconds which I think is an eternity for modern day engine to catch. So I don't think I the engine ever had the opportunity to turn over six times.

Here are some bits and pieces of the clue maybe will be helpful.

Cold:

Engine starts fairly fast (max 2 seconds) and engine idles very smoothly right away, none of the typical 360 cold starting coughs erratic idles etc. I can start the car cold, drive to the gas station 10 miles away, fill her up and then she starts right up immediately like within 1 second of turning of the motor. (I guess because engine bay is still fairly cold at that point)

Warmed up:

Meaning, coolant and oil temp at operating temperature. Turn off car, immediately it will not start unless I either crank it for about 4-5 seconds, or crank - turn off and then crank. When the engine finally starts it has a very weak/slow idle, meaning about 400-500 rpm and then catches up to 1100 normal rpm. No other behavior problems except I can hear a little bit of back fire pop during gear shifts.

The above symptoms were there the day I picked the car up from the dealer. After a test drive I had the same hard starting issue, the dealer assured me it was the immobilizer playing tricks on me and was pressing the remote button trying to reset the alarm to get it to start. Of course I didn't know enough at the time to know that there was something wrong.

10. Pete_360

Pete_360 Rookie

Dec 5, 2011
    Canberra Australia
    Full Name:
    Pete Baka
    I am having a very similar issue.

I was initially having cold starting issues then I decided to take my throttle body’s and airflow meters off to clean them, that went well all clean as a whistle. I then pulled the injectors and rails off and took them to my mechanics to have them cleaned professionally. They replaced the seals and filter baskets as part of the cleaning process.

Sooo how is this similar you ask?...... Well after all this cleaning my cold start is good but not my warm start. If I start it say 5min after turning it off its okay but say 30min (approx.) she tends to catch then stall followed by constant cranking for a bit. If i press the gas she starts quicker.

I pulled everything apart again to check connections and vacuume lines just to make sure and everything is fine, so I ended up pulling the injectors out today just had a feeling this was my issue. I was rite!!

Pulled the injectors out and they were wet, this is after the car has been sitting for over 12 hours. I dried the injectors and then turned the key to the on position, after a few short moments you could see fuel pooling on most injectors.

I have not replaced the injectors yet but doing some research on leaking injectors, my warm start issue seems to be commonly linked.

Not sure if this is/was your issue but I’m just shearing.

Sorry for rambling.

11. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Pete,

I've been told it could be leaky injector too, but typically that will result with white smoke or some sort of smoke coming out of the tail pipe immediately after the motor starts.

Is your 360 a coupe or spider? I've heard of this issue on another spider, and was curious if it is spider related, since the deck is so much lower and probably traps more heat in the engine bay than a coupe. And the heat is actually causing the fuel in the fuel line to vaporize. Especially with the E85 gas we have now days.

12. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Nice bit of detective work there Pete. You may well have your problem right there!

13. Pete_360

Pete_360 Rookie

Dec 5, 2011
    Canberra Australia
    Full Name:
    Pete Baka
    Hey Mrpcar,

My car is a spider, not sure if the fuel is acrtually vapourising. I took the injectors and rails off again after i had warmed up the car (yes its hot be carfull) i done the same check and fuel was just pooling, i was expecting a hissing or something but nope.

Also i dont really notice smoke on start up just the smell of fuel for a little bit (only if i start the car and stand around the engine bay)

Thanks for the comment FerrariDublin!

14. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Some computers like to see the crank angle sensor reporting a motor that is turning before they energize the fuel pump (for fire safety reasons after a crash)...and other computers need a dedicated roll over sensor to report that the car isnt upside down in order to energize the fuel pump (again, for fire safety).

Anyway, fatbillybob has the best suggestion. When hot, spray in starter fluid to see if she turns on immediately or not. That will identfy or rule out fuel pressure as your culprit.

Tests are good!

15. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    MrP, I'd expect a brief "poof" of black smoke if your problem was a leaky injector.

16. Pete_360

Pete_360 Rookie

Dec 5, 2011
    Canberra Australia
    Full Name:
    Pete Baka
    Hey Guys,

I changed the injectors and hot start problem solved! my warm starts are abit more rough tho.

17. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    #67 PAP 348, Jul 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
    Interesting Pete, thanks for sharing.

Did you have the old ones tested/cleaned by any chance to see their spray patterns or if they were leaking?

18. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I just had my injectors ultrasonically cleaned. 2 injectors was leaky, rest were ok. Now the pattern is improved and engine feels more responsive. But hot starting problem not solved.

Here is what I noticed from the cleaned injectors, no more popping sound between shifts when I let off the gas when engine is cold. I suspect that was from the leaky injectors. I have NGC-tubis so all noise is amplified.

I did have this interesting finding.

When the car is having issues hot starting (Crank more than 2 seconds no start, turn off key start again, Vroom right away)

Car drives like ****, backfire all over whenever I let off the gas pedal.

Shut the car off, re-start again. Engine runs smooth no more backfire.

ECU, computer related now I think?

Engine bay to hot? A sensor, ECU bad ground, not happy?

19. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    It's been awhile since I posted, thought I close this thread. Yes, I still have my 2002 360 spider. The hot starting problem turned out to be a leaky fuel pump. The plastic union on top of the fuel pump will eventually crack and cause loose of pressure to the fuel pump. Eventually I had both fuel pumps replaced at my own expense, Ferrari knew of this problem and the new pump had a different plastic union material. Ferrari even did a recall in England regarding this, but I guess Americans just not worthy enough for them to do a recall.