opinion on a 308 GTS QV | FerrariChat

opinion on a 308 GTS QV

Discussion in '308/328' started by Martin D, Nov 23, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Martin D

Martin D F1 Rookie

Nov 7, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin Dietz
    Hi everyone, I’d like to have your opinion on a 308

it’s a 1985 red/black 308 GTS QV (european model) with about 40.000 km on the clock. Car is owned since at least 15 years by a guy that I know but he hardly ever drove it.

When he purchased it and drove home, the engine wouldn’t start after a fuel stop at the gas station on the autobahn. He had to wait some time and then the engine fired up again (engine needed to cool down). He brought it to a Ferrari dealer to solve the problem but I’m not sure if it was really solved. The following years it sat in a garage with some other nice cars and was driven for the last time in 2009 by his son.
    Not too far away from that garage (around 5 km away) the car lost water and he drove it back while filling up water every couple of meters. He told me he was sure that the engine didn’t get damaged as he was very carefully and that he thinks the water pump was broken.
    Funnily I spotted the car back then (when still everything was ok) but didn’t know it was that car :D

Since this last drive the car sits in a garage and I had the opportunity to have a short look at it about half a year ago. The Interior looks great and the body too besides two small damages. These damages are small scratch on the lower front bonnet (just above the ground) and on the engine bonnet (only visible when it’s open) and it looks like fiberglass or something like that – no metal is visible, but the red paint is missing.

The 308 was always a car that I liked from its looks but haven’t had the chance to drive one so far. I once drove a 328 GTS (which was nice) and a 355 Spider, 360 Spider, 430 Spider and 512 TR too. I think the 328 is the closest to the 308 or am I wrong on that?

The idea to bring this car back on the road is kind of fascinating :)
    What do you think is necessary to make it a good driver again and what could be a good price? (last question is probably the most difficult one :D)

I have so far on my list
    - New tires
    - New water pump with cambelt service
    - New fuel hoses (?)
    - New brake pipes (?)
    - New spark plugs (?)
    - New battery
    - New oil (engine and gearbox)

What am I missing and what else could possibly be damaged after such a long time of sitting just around?
    Before I ask the owner about further details and a possible purchase (even though he already told me I could buy it) I’d like to know more about possible risks.

Thanks for your input :)

Martin

2. dpospres

dpospres Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2005
    Likely the fuel system will have to be cleaned.....injectors, distributor, etc. Also, suspension bushings are past their expected life. Plus whatever problems the car had when it was parked. Hard starting when warm may just be accumulator.

3. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    Brake calipers tend to seize and expect all coolant hoses (that haven't already been replaced) to need replacing.

And fuel tanks can leak.

I imagine you'll need the equivalent of a minimum of £4-5K to re-commission it without doing anything major.

4. Fairview

Fairview Formula 3

Mar 16, 2009
    Waynesboro, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jeff Ward
    Patrick, Maybe not the tanks themselves, but the rubber connectors for the crossover pipe, right?
    Jeff

5. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    I'd focus on the reason the car was parked... that water leak. Is a head cracked or warped. What's the compression like?

The cost of getting this car back on the road will depend on damage if any when it lost coolant. I would not want to think about an offer before knowing the internal state of that engine.

6. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    Well I've had 308 gt4 tanks get pinholes in and leak. But maybe the climate or fuel in the USA makes this less likely. But yes, all the fuel lines are worth checking and replacing where required. Particularly given the possible consequences of failure.

7. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    #7 Brian Harper, Nov 24, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
    "I’d like to know more about possible risks"
    OK, you could spend money to buy it, you could spend money to try to fix it and then you could sell it to Europsares/junkyard at a loss when repairs exceed your (or your spouse's) threshold for emotional or monetary pain. So make sure the purchase price and repair costs is something you are willing to part with in a relatively permanent way. That's the worst case, but it happens sometimes.

Although I'd replace the fuel, I wouldn't be surprised if the fuel injection system is just fine. If it was last filled up in Europe in 2000 at least it should have real gasoline in it and not the alcohol junk we get in the USA now.

I'd be worried about the water pump. If it lost the impeller (or even a belt) then no amount of water added to the expansion tank did a running engine any good. A leakdown test would be a good start, but you might not really know until the engine gets hot again if there was some kind of engine damage.

8. Martin D

Martin D F1 Rookie

Nov 7, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin Dietz
    that's what I want ot avoid :) so thanks for all the info so far!!

will definitive ask about the waterpump and the leakdwon test is also a good point :)

Martin

9. Martin D

Martin D F1 Rookie

Nov 7, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin Dietz
    is it hard to get these parts or replacement parts?

Martin

10. Martin D

Martin D F1 Rookie

Nov 7, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin Dietz
    main reason for parking the car was that he has many other cars (SL, Porsches, Z8,...) and hardly ever drives them (no time). usualy his son trys to drive every car a couple of times a year...
    but nevertheless a good point to ask again :)

Martin

11. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    The good news with Ferrrai is that parts in general are available. The slightly less good news is that they can be expensive, and expensive to fit.

12. Mktwise

Mktwise Karting

Jul 25, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Water leak? I suspect it was nothing more than the car peeing out the overflow hose where you fill the coolest. This is caused by air in the coolant system. My car used to pee like a race horse, until I bleed all the air out. Change all your fuel hoses, and radiator hoses, and get new fuel Injectors. Do a full 30k service on your car and you should be good. The hot start issue is most likely the fuel accumulator.

13. 308GTSi1982

308GTSi1982 Rookie

May 15, 2016
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Kristof
    Check if the fuel pump has a "no return valve", the fuel has to stay pressurised in the fuel system for a while. Very important.

14. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I just brought back to life a car that sat for 10 years in a garage. This is what I had to do:

Timing belts, and all other belts
    Tensioner bearings
    Filters of all kinds
    Fluids of all kinds
    Replacement of master cylinder frozen
    Clean out all brake lines
    Rebuild all brake calipers
    Flush the gas tank
    Clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing

you should expect to do some serious troubleshooting with that CIS system.

Buy it, it is not going to kill you.