Lewis Hamilton - Poorest F1 Loser Ever? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Lewis Hamilton - Poorest F1 Loser Ever?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Robb, Nov 27, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Is Lewis Hamilton the Poorest Loser that F1 has ever seen?

1. Yes

2. No

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Hamilton had already lost the right to the championship by bodging several starts during the season.

Nico was simply ahead in the points and didn't need to attack him to be WDC; that was the logic.

For Mercedes, their job was to finish 1-2, giving the win to Hamilton and securing Rosbreg WDC.

Hamilton tried to spoil Rosberg's chance by backing off, so that the German lost places, and championship as a consequence.

I hope I was wrong, but I suspected Hamilton to slow down to provoke Rosberg in an overtaking move, only to ram him or drive him off the track, or damage his car. I expected a desperate "Schumacher move" from Hamilton, and I understand why Rosberg did everything to avoid that confrontation. I think Hamilton is capable of anything now; I mean that.

That's dirty and unsporting behaviour, mostly against a team mate who helped him in the past (remember Monaco?) . Rosberg is a worthy champion, who left Aby Dhabi with his character unblemished. Now Hamilton is just the villain of the story.

2. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    No such "loss of right" exists in reality. He has the same opportunity as every other driver on the grid to win that race. Why isn't everyone up in arms about Max racing Nico? Surely that is outrageous!? How dare he race in a race!

Who's logic? Nico's? Merc? How is that the least bit relevant to Hamilton who was barely behind?

Why? Why is it the team's job to give the guy with more points the easier route to securing the championship? Where is this unwritten rule of racing that I have never heard of before?

Right. His only hope to win the WDC - smart man. Lauda and Toto are also smart, that's why they knew he would do it. Why? Because they would. LOL.

Eh - I doubt it quite honestly. I think he would have tried to race him with the Red Bulls and hope for the best. If he initiates contact and sends him off, or really does something egregious, then it won't stand anyway so better to just mix it up.

In retrospect, it may have made more sense to throw qualy and try to be on the second row, or intentionally botch the start, and allow the RB's to attack right away. The problem is that Nico would likely drive away.

I think what Hamilton did today was really his only option. If anything, he just didn't time it quite correctly.

Yah I just don't agree at all.

Nico is very deserving, but I don't have a problem with what Hamilton did at all.

3. United458

United458 Karting

Dec 2, 2015
    Chapel Hill, NC
    curious as to the forum's thoughts on next year - how likely is it that Mercedes will continue to dominate or will the evolution in rules promote more competition among the top 3-4 teams? thanks.

4. renman95

renman95 Karting

Jul 16, 2016
    Oahu, leeward side
    Full Name:
    D8LF
    This.

5. Banzai!

Banzai! Karting

Mar 1, 2013
    I think both drivers did what they had to do, using all means available to them. Attitudes and acceptable tactics used to be much more sporting, but the multi-millions of dollars now involved have changed all that and the sport is the lesser for it. Lewis is more cutthroat and devious than Nico and I think that turns a lot of people against him. Personally, I'm glad Nico came out on top. He helped build the team with Michael from it's creation. Lewis kind of just came along at the right time and stole the majority of the thunder by dominating Nico. Lewis has demonstrated many times that he is only a team player if it suite his own agenda. To make it worse, Lewis does seem to have two sides. One is happy and confident when things are going his way but if they aren't, he becomes immature, pouty and casts conspiracy theories which again, just provides more reason for people to dislike him.

F1 never stops and although the strength and resources of Mercedes make them a favorite for next year, no team has ever remained on top forever. I hope for the good of the sport that we have enough changes in store to see one or more additional teams step up and topple the German juggernaut and give us something different to argue over.

6. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Lewis in the post race meeting with The Flying Rat and Toto too:

Act I, Scene I

"Hey, you didn't hire me because I'm a pushover or a loser, did you?"

<Lewis drops mic>

Exit Lewis

7. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #82 PSk, Nov 28, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
    Well said, all of it.

I hope that now that Nico has a WDC, he will become a stronger driver and push Lewis even harder. That would be enjoyable to watch and good for the sport.

As for all this focus on "the team", the drivers don't drive for the team they drive for themselves and to win the WDC. The team may pay them but for a driver it is all about themselves. The only time they drive for the team is when they believe it will benefit themselves, maybe with contract negotiations or something else. F1 and just about any form of motorsport, excluding races where drivers share the same car, is not a team sport. Once the helmet goes on they are all about themselves. "The team" makes the car ... and if another team makes a better car, they will do anything to get into that team.
    Pete

8. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    +1

9. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I'm vary happy for Nico, he really deserved it..first 2 years Mercedes were backing up Elton...they destroyed nico's confidence after Spa, ans restrained him from chalanging Elton...however..Lewis was stupid enough to criticize the team that handed him 2 titles on a silver plate...he began to lose thsi title last year, i guess someone at the top of Mercedes said enough was enough and unleashed Nico..this year nio one restrained him, and the result was him trashing poor crybaby elton.

10. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    You are a smart man too!

11. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    If Mercedes thought they had a rivalry on their hands so far, wait until next year! Toto will be pulling his hair out. They should drop LH; assuming MB dominance, Nico's more than capable to drive the car to another WDC, and there are several drivers on the grid that would make a good #2. Let LH spend a season tooling around in an uncompetitive car, and then maybe he'll appreciate the championships he already has.

12. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    You don't seriously think that hug was sincere do you? - It barely lasted long enough for anyone to get the picture!

In Parc ferme, Lewis walked up behind Nico, tapped in in the back, gave him the briefest of hugs possible and then immediately walked away from him.

Once upstairs behind the podium, he didn't speak to Nico, and he didn't interact with Nico in any way whatsoever, including having a selfie with him (unlike Seb who was in like Flint for the selfie!).

On the podium ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IXkObRJABc ) , rather than saying immediately: "First off, let Me congratulate Nico on becoming World Champion!", Lewis' first statement was:

Lewis: "Honestly I feel great. First off I want to say a big thanks to everyone who came out to support us, there's so many British flags this weekend, thank you so much, I love you guys. Umm, I want to say thanks to my family for all of the support, especially to the team for doing such a great job, umm, it's been a real privilege being part of this team and achieving the success that we've had , I mean, I never would have thought when I joined this team that I would have that many wins, I think that's thirty two wins with this team, so a big thank you to everyone here and back at the factory!"

Pauses, lowers microphone and then adds:

"..........And a big congratulations to Nico of course as far as the World Championship.......good job man!"

Followed by a very formal handshake in the manner of greeting a total stranger!

Compare that with Sebastian Vettel on the podium:

David Coulthard: "Now Sebastian Vettel......It's been a while!"

Seb: "yeah!"

"You've not been here since Monza!"

"You've aged.....You've aged!"

"I have aged...I have...I haven't had My hair done!..... You look wonderful! Where have you been?, why has it taken this long?, that was an amazing strategy and you really came back and pushed these guys hard!"

"Well before I answer your question, I think, err, congratulations...."

Followed by a brotherly thumb to thumb, cupped hand, hand shake with big smiles.....

"..... Really, was tough out there, the last couple of laps I didn't want to be in his shoes....." (pointing to Nico) "....I was trying to you know, get close and err, have another go because I was thinking to, why not pass both of them if Lewis is eh, going that slow in front........"

Initially, Lewis completely ignored Nico's achievement, only congratulating him as an afterthought, whilst Seb pretty much got his congratulations in immediately as you would expect someone to do.

And then when it came time to spraying the fizzy rose water, did Lewis Hamilton spray Nico in celebration? - No, he deliberately avoided going anywhere near Nico, Seb on the other hand was feeding Nico his fizzy rose water, and at least tried to spray Nico.

13. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Worst I've seen.

14. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Oh, now it has to be "sincere"...Lewis just lost the WDC against Nico and you expect him to celebrate with him?
    It was said that Lewis ignored Nico until he was forced to and this is just wrong. And between celebrating with him / doing selfies with him and being the poorest F1 loser ever there is a lot in between. He did his duties and that´s it, neither "great "sportsmanship nore "poor". I still do not really like him but it looks like some over here overreact because it is actually the first time since 2007 they can bash on him from the top.
    I was accused being a LH hater in the past but actually I do not like both extremes, he is neither GOAT nore the evil, just another F1 driver.

15. R2112

R2112 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2006
    TX
    Personally I laughed when I watched this. More of the normal smoke and mirrors from Lewis. In front of just a few cameras btw ;-)

For those who have truly paid attention, Lewis's words and actions before this "genuine moment" and after are what make this photo so laughable and meaningless. IMHO.

16. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    The former is true, but the latter is not true anymore. :p

Lewis showed he'll sacrifice an off in the distance race win in order for a shot at the WDC, if it'd been anyone but his teammate, he'd of been doing the right thing.

The problem with Lewis, is when he wins, its all about what Lewis did, he earned it, when he loses, its all about "some one" else. This hurts a team in the long run.

17. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I really come to detest that man Hamilton now ...

18. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    As i see it, Lewis didn't "lose the WDC" in Abu Dhabi ... he lost it with his last DNF. For the last 4 races, Nico could easily coast to 2nd place finishes (and a 3rd!) and still be WDC. In my view, that means the WDC has been Nico's to lose for quite a while!

So it's no excuse for Hamilton's very poor sportsmanship in the last race, to say "he just lost the WDC" ... surely, Hamilton knew the WDC was likely lost to him, for a month or two. Plenty of time to "rise above", and give genuine credit and congratulations where it's due!

19. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

+1

20. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Ok, you have a point but I guess there are different characters dealing with a defeat differently. The relation between Hamilton and Rosberg is frosty for quit a long time and I did not see Hamilton as bad after the race. Him standing alone in the room behind the podium is nothing we have not seen in the past, even when things went well for him.
    I think Hamilton shook hands with Nico even before Coulthard said so but I can be wrong. I think nobody really expected "sincere" gladness of Lewis with his team mate.
    It is known that Hamilton has a huge self-confidence and so he thinks he has rather lost the WDC than Rosberg has won it...

21. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Yep. We didn't hear him whine about the mechanic swap at the start of the year, only when the pressure was on.

I don't have a problem with what he did during the race, except that it was stupid. He should have gone for second at the start, and stayed on Rosberg's bumper the whole race and hoping to force an error out of him. Hamilton being in front was one of two best possible outcomes for Nico, and LH handed it right to him.

22. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Yeah, let's contrast Hamilton's disappointment at losing the 2016 WDC, his demeanor and behavior, with that of his oh-so-respectful teammate last year, at Austin 2015. Yeah, Nico was the model of congratulations and civility, cheerily chatting with Hamilton on the pre-podium room, right? He was full of congratulations, handshakes, hugs, right?

Oh, wait... that's where Rosberg sat pouting in a chair, ignoring everyone else, and petulantly threw the hat at Hamilton. Yeah, he's a whole lot better at losing, isn't he??!!

LOL. As many great athletes have said, "show me a good loser, I'll show you someone without the champion mentality". I think Hamilton actually behaved better at Abu Dhabi than Rosberg did at Austin 2015, but I don't fault either of them for having trouble hiding their extreme disappointment.

23. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Even when bending it to make it your argument you still should stay within the truth:
    Not Nico has thrown the hat at Lewis, Nico has thrown BACK the hat...you see what difference the word "back" makes???

24. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    +1

25. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    #100 4rePhill, Nov 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It was a token gesture that wasn't genuine.

At no point has Lewis given Nico any genuine credit for winning the WDC, it's all been about how he should have won it.

Watch the the footage from behind the podium where Lewis doesn't even speak to Nico or go near him, watch the podium ceremony where he congratulates Nico as a complete afterthought and then avoids him like the plague, watch the post race press conference where again he feels the need to belittle Nico becoming WDC, by basically saying it should have been his!

In that press conference, Sebastian Vettel even feels a need to state that it's not right for Lewis to bemoan how better his season should have been, and infer that he should be the World Champion.

Seb points out publicly that bad luck is a part of racing that drivers have to accept, and points out that in the past Nico has had his fair share of bad luck in races.

He then goes on to say that nobody should be taking any credit away from Nico, and that he is a worthy WDC because he scored the points required!

Do I expect Lewis Hamilton to be jumping around in excitement for Nico? - No, of course not, but I would give him a damn sight more credit if he congratulated Nico on achieving his life times ambition to become World Champion, rather that act like a sulking school boy crying to the World that it's not fair and that he should be the winner!

The thing that makes Lewis Hamilton the biggest loser of the season isn't the points deficit that he has to Nico, and it's not the tactics he decided to use in the last race in order to try to decide the Championship! - No, Lewis Hamilton is the biggest loser on the planet right now because he cannot be man enough to give Nico Rosberg any credit whatsoever for what he has achieved!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login