KUDOS TO SAN FRANCISCO MOTORSPORTS | FerrariChat

KUDOS TO SAN FRANCISCO MOTORSPORTS

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by Vraiment, Nov 28, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Vraiment

Vraiment F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2009
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Vraiment
    #1 Vraiment, Nov 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    A Big Thank You to Doug and John Heim at San Francisco Motorsports for years of top-notch service and boundless integrity.

I recently bought a 599 from out of state. I wanted to lower it right away. It’s such a gorgeous car, but from my perspective, the factory ride height really is too high. When one lowers it and closes the wheel well gaps it really further accentuates the lines of the car.

When I called San Francisco Motorsports about the job they were literally on it the same day. Ferrari master mechanic John Heim dropped it an inch (which takes hours) and the car was detailed and ready to go the next morning. After a short drive, I noticed an annoying metallic squeak under the driver’s seat. A little thing by comparison but it’s one of those things that can really put a damper on the enjoyment of the car. I tried everything to address the squeak but could not resolve the issue. Back to San Francisco Motorsports and John Heim sleuthed it out and had it resolved in a short time. No charge!

I had a similar issue with a Scud where an annoying squeak in the right front fender drove me nuts. After repeated warranty-based visits to another service center proved unsuccessful in determining the source of the noise I asked John to have a look. He had the problem resolved in no time. Turned out to be the front sway bar bushing that needed heavy grease.

Until just two weeks ago (car sold) San Francisco Motorsports provided 5 years of exclusive concierge service, track preparation, trackside support, and transport for a 2011 458 Challenge car we ran at Sonoma and Thunder Hill. They kept the car in top running condition with brake bleeds, brake pads and rotors, injector cleans, all fluids, tire mounts, nut & bolt surveys -- and we never encountered any mechanicals due to excellent preventive maintenance. In addition to the service, San Francisco Motorsports has facilitated multiple streamlined acquisitions and sales for me, as well.

In the spirit of the season, this is a long overdue expression of gratitude to a business that has provided superb, rapid, professional service (that has been beyond any reasonable expectation one could have for a service provider) to me for two 599s, a 458, a 430, a 430 Scud, and a 458 Challenge.

Thank you Doug, John and Tracy for years of passionate service!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. gavin

gavin Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2004
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Gavin
    San Francisco Motorsports is the best, Bought my car from them and has been cared for by John for the last 5 years. Gavin

3. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Also a GREAT supporter of the FOG Group and FOG rally events! Cheers to the whole team at SF Motorsports!!

4. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    #4 Sledge4.2, Dec 8, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I will pile on here, SF motorsports did a major on my 308 and prepped it for sale overseas.

John has also looked after my Granturismo F1. What I have always appreciated about John
    is that, as a guy that likes to work on his own cars, he always takes the time to patiently explain what he is doing and answer all my questions.

A few weeks ago I was struggling with balancing the banks and mixture on my Diablo, and literally after spending countless hours, I gave up and asked if he could help. I took my car, my workshop manual, my V12 console and outlined what I had tried. In a few hours he had the problem solved. Doug even trailered the car back to my house on a rainy Sunday night.

5. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Timely testamony for me; my 308 QV failed SMOG and I booked a New Year's appointment at SF Motorsport just a couple of days ago. Great to read the kudos. Yeah, Doug already spent time with me on the phone talking about what he is going to do.

6. action-ant

action-ant Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Thanks for sharing your experiences and recommendation. It's always great to learn of local shops that can provide expert care and services for these cars!

7. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Curious if your QV has an air-pump, or one of the later non-air-pump cars, and what gets fixed to cure smog woes? The reason is CA so tight on permissible compared to Europe and other states in the US which take measurements that everything literally must be perfect. A cat loses a little efficiency, 9th injector leaks just a little, and weakness in ignition etc. Very impressed by a tech who can go straight to the prob.

8. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I bring my car in to SF Motorsport tomorrow, so we'll see how it goes.

My 1983 QV has an air pump. It has always been a California car (I am the second owner).

I failed the SMOG test on CO and CO2, which I believe suggests a too-rich mixture. I do all the repairs on my car myself, but I'd rather not guess at what is wrong and get a bunch of fails on SMOG tests. It's nice to put the car in the hands of experts in this case.

I also have a rattle at 3,000 rpm, which sounds like one of my two cats might be coughing up a hairball. Interestingly, I phoned the CARB Referee Program to ask about what / if cats are available for my car. They said that any "PC1" (Passenger Car Category 1) cat is acceptable. This is noted in their document "ET Blast # 34105" regarding pre-OBDII vehicles. I was surprised that their explanation was simple and straightforward.

9. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Thank you!
    Some info regarding cats. They are not all created equal. The coatings are precious metal, and like every product, if it can be made cheaper, and still work yada-yada . OBD II cats have more (or are supposed to) catalizing material. But again, these are not all created equal. Supposedly OEM are the best. So the challenge becomes; what PC-1 cats are available / that fit / are good quality?? I was looking at HJS as they do have the 3-way chemistry HC/CO/NOx, and can (depending on cat model) satisfy EURO 5 requirements which is roughly equivalent (I believe) to OBD II. This should clean up the exhaust sufficiently. At least HJS lists their cats according to their performance. I've experimented with $69 cats and it was a bad learning experience. The HJS are made in Germany, and are expensive. About 6-900 for the HD EURO 5. I don't know if these are considered "PC-1". Fun fun fun

Did you fail by a little, or way off? Best of luck!

10. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    #10 Brian A, Jan 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    I failed by "a little bit".

I am leaving cat selection to them (I believe John has ordered DEC brand cats). They could not just adjust mixture to make it pass.

Are you in Europe or the USA?