IMSA Continental Tire Challenge Series GT4 class | FerrariChat

IMSA Continental Tire Challenge Series GT4 class

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by Ky1e, Nov 6, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    I've enjoyed PCA racing my Cayman so much I've decided to step up my racing pursuits. I will be doing the IMSA Continental Tire Challenge Series in their new GT4 class in a McLaren 570 GT4 for the full schedule in 2017.

I ordered two that are being built right now. They will be the first two 570 GT4 built from their first 570 GT4 production run. (They built 2 cars that they have been testing for a year -- 1 for internal testing and one that ran in the european series, but these will be their first production cars.).

GT4 is a new category of manufacturer built race cars meant to increase participation in GT racing my making a uniform spec of race car among all manufacturers and eliminating the higher cost route of one-off custom race cars. The cars will be more equal in balance of performance out of the box and the cars will come ready to race with no mods from the factory. So far I am aware of the Porsche Cayman GT4, Mustang GT4, Aston GT4, McLaren 570 GT4.

I cant wait to for our first race at the 24 Hours Of Daytona in Jan!

The car: http://cars.mclaren.com/featured-articles/mclaren-570s-gt4

The series: Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge |

2. indaville

indaville Formula 3

Oct 6, 2005
    Louisville, KY
    Congratulations! I too made the move from club racing to CTSC two years ago. Raced the last two seasons in a Cayman in the ST class. Very competitive racing!! Budget extra money for cosmetic damage. Think we replaced 4 bumpers this passed season.

Matt

3. schao

schao Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    S Chao
    Good luck to both of you. Amazing to see how far Ky1e has come in such a short time from simple HPDE to a full out effort in GT4!

4. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Ky1e has certainly invested the time do do it right! Good luck!

5. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    #5 Ky1e, Nov 6, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
    Cool! MD I've enjoyed watching you race your cayman in the Continental Tire challenge Series (I've watched all the 2016 races on youtube to study). I look forward to meeting you this year.

It's gone by fast but I already feel like I'm all in. It's what I spend most of my time doing, planning, thinking about, I love it.

No doubt, it has become my passion. I can count 43 days on track (of the ones off the top of my head) and most of them racing and most in the last 4 months. All days (including test days) I have had a full time race coach and I can attest that it has been instrumental in learning correctly and quickly. A great race team to get the car right is also key. I run into Peter quite a bit, he's at most of the events I goto, and I purchased my AIM system and smarty cams from him as well. FChat has been a great resource for me. 4 race cars later and a seven figure budget for next year it is my childhood dream come true.

6. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I'll be pulling for you!

7. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    What is your team name?

Have you considered PWC?

8. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Very cool. I am hoping to make it down to Daytona again next year to watch the race.

9. CSM0TION

CSM0TION Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    That is awesome! Best of luck, hopefully I'll see you at the east coast races.

10. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Indeed!!

Well done, Kyle.

I'll look for both you and Matt at the Rolex weekend in January. (Just bought my passes today.)

11. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    Nice! The McLaren looks bad ass.

Are you sponsoring the whole thing yourself or offering pay drivers seats?

12. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    +1, that looks amazing!

Best of luck in the coming year!!

13. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Awesome, LMK if you need a 2nd driver :)

14. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    Thanks for the comments. I havent responded because I didnt want to say to much until I had solidified which support team I was using and done a press release. Can say more next week.

I'm self sponsoring and using a team that is already supporting another car in the series.

William, right now I'm at Sebring at HSR -- I assume you are as well (I got passed by the Hubbell Daytona Prototype today during test day). I'm in the VOLT Cayman (red and chrome). I signed up for the Sprint races, Enduro, Global GT and 12 Hour Classic races-- I think I have something like 5 races on Fri, 6 on Sat-- crazy amount of track race time. Doesnt include all day Tues (I did the Artensinger open track day) and the Wed test day, Thurs qualifying, races on Fri and sun.

15. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Good luck man!!! That sounds right up your alley.

I'm also stepping up next year, but I'm not going to jynx it yet as I'm still finalizing details.

16. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Kinda naïve to all this, but is this the same series the Angel's Baseball player CJ Wilson is involved in. He is my neighbor and talked to me about this new GT4 class racing he is involved in.

17. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    Yes same series. The Continental Series has 2 classes GS and ST. Starting in 2017 (this year) they are adding GT4 cars to run with the GS class and then in 2018 GS will be phased out and it will be GT4 and ST.

18. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    #18 Ky1e, Dec 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Picture of my Cayman is from Daytona last month, video is from Sebring last night. Two more races today-- one a 4-5pm and one at 10-11pm.

(whoops it wont let me upload a video). I guess I have to do a link-- I'll have to set up a youtube account one of these days for racing videos...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    CJ's team is a front running team! They won the ST class (Street Touring) last year and moved up to the big car class this year with a pair of GT4 Club Sports. Not sure if they're running "legacy" (2016-spec) or new for 2017 (Worldwide SRO GT4 spec) next year.

20. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    as I understand it, the 2016 spec cars can be fully upgraded to SRO spec; so I'm assuming they're running the same car with the upgrade kit.

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    good job guys! that's SERIOUS racing.

22. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    David Russell is a good choice. We wish you best of luck. I want to see the McLaren in person.

23. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    Thanks Greg!

24. Mike Hedlund

Mike Hedlund Karting

May 30, 2012
    Woodside, CA
    Full Name:
    Mike Hedlund
    Congrats and good luck!!! :D