Avro RJ-85 Crash with soccer team | FerrariChat

Avro RJ-85 Crash with soccer team

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Tcar, Nov 29, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

RJ-85 was re-registered 3 times with this airline, and apparently sat in storage from CitiJet for several years before they acquired it.
    (BA-146)

There was no fire (fuel exhausted?)

They have the 'black boxes'.

These seem to have a decent safety record... the fatals all seem to be pilot error, not equipment issues.

I've heard there were some issues with the 4 high bypass engines.

I flew on this type years ago with United DEN/SBA several times... seemed like a long flight for an RJ.

2. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    When they were still called BAe 146's, I flew one on United Express from Islip to Dulles to Daytona Beach. Nice little airplane, though we had to abort our first takeoff run at Dulles due to what turned out to be a faulty warning light. (Darn British electrics!)

3. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    That's because cruise speed is M.70

Not at home to reference the flight manuals and brochures, but the BAe equivalent (a -200) had a max range and payload of only 1550 miles including 45 minute holding at 5k feet and 150 mile diversion. The RJ range IIRC was extended marginally, but not the 1800nm + that this flight encountered. And Cityjet had no need for range extending tanks (that would, at best get it closer to 2000nm).

4. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
  5. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
  6. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
  7. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
  8. Aedo

Aedo F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2006
    Perth
    Full Name:
    Steve
    The latest article suggests the pilot dumped fuel before impact to avoid a fire/explosion.

Brazilian football players killed in Colombia: Why did plane crash?

I regularly fly on RJ-85s so am keen to understand the cause of this accident.

9. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    Does the 146 (RJ85) have a fuel jettison system? I don't know the plane at all, but it seems pretty small for one.

10. VPX

VPX Karting

Jun 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Victor
    Very very tragic. All soccer fans here in Brazil, regardless of their team, are saddened because of this tragedy. My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families.

Some "interesting" information I found in other aviation forum:

11. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    I dont think that it does either but I am no expert. Also several reports state that Avro RJ85 does not have one.

https://blogs.crikey.com.au/planetalking/2016/11/30/61470/

12. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Pilot reportedly asked for priority and didn't declare an emergency, but had a aircraft ahead of him that had declared an emergency..

Later he declared a fuel emergency, and was given priority but ran out of fuel 4 min short of the runway...

That is what I am hearing, from an knowledgeable source...

13. Mckinney

Mckinney Karting

Mar 29, 2013
    I remember the Avianca crash well as I was on a DFW-JFK flight that same evening, scheduled to arrive about 8 pm. After holding for an hour or so near the airport, the pilot advised that JFK was 'closed' and we diverted to Dulles where we sat on the tarmac for 3+ hrs. A number of passengers disembarked and traveled to NYC via Amtrak. We finally departed Dulles and arrived JFK about 3 am. I didn't learn about the Avianca crash until mid-morning.

14. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Funny you mention that I saw this today at AV Herald, Incident: VivaColombia A320 near Medellin on Nov 28th 2016, suspected fuel leak .

They also added a very similar statement to this incident at AV Herald to the Avro file.

15. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    It does not.

16. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Yes, actually 4 of them... they emptied the tanks.

17. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    I heard the ATC recording. There's a mention of electrical problems near the end of it. That's the point they lost the engines. In the 747 classic, loss of all generators and loss of all engines looks almost identical, especially if you're descending at idle power.

18. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

On that plane the 2 generators are on #1 and #4.

Once they're offline...

I think I read somewhere you can't do an air re-start on those engines either.

Don't know if it has a RAT.

19. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    You certainly can't do an air start without fuel!

20. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
  21. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Young copilot's first flight with the airline, overall lack of situational awareness between the two pilots. Flight was already close to max range when they got there and were put in the holding pattern. Pilot should have declared emergency fuel when he reached the placard number. Flame-out took out the generators and probably no fuel to run the APU either, if she had one. Very sad.

22. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    There were three pilots onboard. The young copilot was on the jumpseat.

23. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    Brazilian TV showed radar data , voice recordings, documents, etc, where the aircraft was in a holding pattern (elliptical), when pilot lost fuel and generator went out, thus lost instruments, and electrical systems, then pilot brought plane down to lower altitudes but flying blind at 9:00 PM approximately till plane clipped a mountain top, left wing stayed there and rest of plane crashed a few hundred feet below in a valley, with no fire. Clearly, pilot (and owner of this one aircraft airline co) at fault for saying while still in Bolivia "we will be fine....we have enough fuel to fly this...don't worry) to a Bolivian airport worker whom questioned him about flight time being equal to range,,,,,, also Bolivian authorities at fault for allowing the flight plan to be authorized. sad story.

24. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Exactly right. They ran the plane out of gas, because they didn't tell the controler to shove it and do the approach.

Art

25. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Don- Had not seen that they had 3 pilots, thanks.