The David Piper "I'm not dead yet" Memorial thread | Page 3 | FerrariChat

The David Piper "I'm not dead yet" Memorial thread

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Sfumato, May 6, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. macca

macca Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2003
    Happy 86th Birthday, David Piper!

Paul M

2. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    Echo that. Happy birthday Mr Piper. lovely guy :)

3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Pretty funny thread. I think anybody would be honored. Sure betters the opposite idea of a memorial thread.

4. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Has anyone alerted David that he may have accidentally sold 0846...........I'd hate to screw up any days of celebration for him.

5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    No..because he didn't.

6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Brands Hatch just before the pits. Don't know when.
    Ah just saw some had answered already sorry.

MS

7. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    People have been after him for many years do do this. At one time there was talk of his wife writing this. For what ever reason he has never taken the time or had the inclination to try this. There is so much history associated with David Piper it would take a very dedicated sole to undertake an effort and do him the justice he deserves.I am sure the years of Glickenhaus and his band of ignorant hangers on tearing into him over the P series cars did nothing to encourage him to write his memoirs. There is so much there over his career of over 60 years it would take several years just to do the research. Possibly a novel loosely based on David Piper might be a way to go which if done right could bring a considerable audiance.Another idea would get a group of those who had a considerable association with him over the many years to each write a chapter in his memory.Oh well, if I was 20 years younger and had the time, what an undertaking this could be. tong's crew

8. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I know........just my stab at dry humor.

9. polds

polds Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    I liken David Piper to Keef Richards

Piper was there at the beginning switching the light on and when he eventually fades away he will be switching the light off.

There is no substitute for being there in the day.

Using these magnificent machines as pure tools to win races which is the only reason why they were built. To compete.

When they were new they were I am sure acknowledged as merely easy on the retinas. There was no yardstick. The future was unknown and we now know that his era (and a decade before) delivered the most achingly gorgeous sublime sculptures to ever grace the earth created by man.

I doff my cap to Piper. I doff my cap to The Old Man. I doff my cap to the drivers who piloted these death traps at outrageous speeds in pursuit of victory.

You can stick limp wristed Political Correctness, Health and Safety, Ecclestone et al where the sun doesn't shine.

10. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    I nominate this as best post ever!

11. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Hear hear!

12. Chaos

Chaos Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Cardiff. UK
    Full Name:
    Nick.
    ah but has anyone asked him about the car numbered 0846 (along with some paperwork) that he showed to Marcel Massini in the Sbarro premises in 1977 ???