Need advice on where to stay in LA | FerrariChat

Need advice on where to stay in LA

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by OUMick, Nov 25, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. OUMick

OUMick Formula 3

Apr 26, 2014
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Looking to bring the family out over Christmas. Have a 18 yo girl and 9 yo boy. Will probably hit Disney area. It's been years since I've been to LA. Just want to do the normal touristy things. Probably looking to stay in a Embassy Suites level hotel. Any recommendations of area would be appreciated.

2. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    DLand is 40 miles from west LA. You wanna trek down there or stay down there?

3. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    The OC/LA basin is too large to do everything in a single shot, so you take it in bite-sized pieces. If Disney is your focus, then staying in the OC makes sense. You don't have to stay in Anaheim, but maybe in Huntington Beach, which is a short drive to mouse central. There's a couple of nice hotels across from the beach so you can get that experience too. Short drives to Newport Beach or up to Long Beach for all sorts of activities.

4. OUMick

OUMick Formula 3

Apr 26, 2014
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Disney isn't the main thing. My daughter likes to think she's a Kardashian w/o the ho gene. I would imagine we would spend some time in Hollywood and Beverly Hills. I really don't know what we will be doing. It's probably been 30 years since I've been to LA. I can't even begin to imagine how much it's changed and grown.

5. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    montage in laguna

6. Testarossa Lover

Testarossa Lover F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
    +1 for Montage Beverly Hills if you want to be in LA and close to Beverly Hills.

7. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Ummm, no.
    Montage $ > Embassy Suites $ (by a long shot.)

Give us an area, and you'll get some more help.
    You may want to check out the Ace or Standard downtown or Standard Hollywood, but without knowing what you're looking for that's just a guess.

8. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Montage is great..... unless you have some yahoo doing calisthenics in the room above you or want to make a cup of cofffee... :D

9. tvu

tvu Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Trieu
    #9 tvu, Nov 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Maybe break it up into two different hotels/locations - one in LA, and one in OC and schedule your activities in the surrounding areas. It is a bit of hassle - but you really don't want to be driving from LA to OC or vice versa. Oh - and don't even think traffic will be a lot better on the weekends. It will be a gridlock for no apparent reason.

Below is a map of the Embassy Suites near Anaheim. I would avoid Santa Ana - even though it is on the edge of the city.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. OUMick

OUMick Formula 3

Apr 26, 2014
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Sounds like I should stay west and and in OC. I think we want to do things in both areas. I really don't know where to stay.

11. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    What's the big deal about driving down to Anaheim for the Disney visit? Especially if it's a 1 time thing.

Have you considered airbnb? I would definitely recommend staying in Beverly Hills or west of that. Downtown is nice to visit for a day but disgusting to stay there too long.

12. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris

If you want the best food in the city, the best bars, the best art scene, sports, Disney hall, and good access to oc as well as the la basin, downtown is the place. It's urban though and not for everyone.

In Orange County you may want to check out the Fairmont Newport. Good location, nice rooms and a decent price point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. flat_plane_eddie

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Sorry Chris but I disagree with that. Best bars and food for me are definitely not in downtown. Best art scene, maybe. You have better access to the OC but only by like 20 minutes.

14. Formula1r

Formula1r Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Don't care much for staying in DTLA, but there is no denying the restaurant scene. But you wouldn't know it if you only hang out on the west side.
    Downtown L.A. Is Home to the City?s Most Delicious Restaurants | | Observer

15. flat_plane_eddie

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I'm not denying there are good restaurants there, just denying the best are there. I'm sure there are a few top notch places but overall more in Beverly Hills and the West side.

Plus even if they had the best restaurants it's still not worth staying there for all the dirtiness and hearing/seeing crazy homeless people.

16. F456 V12

F456 V12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Coto de Caza
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I live in the OC and agree 100%, DTLA is not the place for eating, people watching, families, bar hopping, what ever makes you happy. Beverly Hills, areas of Santa Monica, Melrose, Sunset, etc far better, in my experience and opinion.

To the OP, as for hotels, if you're a Hilton Honors member of just prefer Hilton's in general, the Hilton Hotel in Anaheim, slightly off Disney property, but in the heart of Disney and surrounding activities, they run specials all the time and if your kids don't mind staying in the same room, you might be able to pick up a room for less the the price of the nearby Embassy's...with far greater amenities.

As for LA hotels, every time the Mrs and me visit the LA area for an overnight, we stay at the Beverly Hilton Hotel, reasonably priced, very "old" Hollywood nostalgic. Two minutes to Beverly Hills, 10 to 15 minutes to Melrose, Sunset, Santa Monica, Bel Air, Brentwood.

MB

17. robertpel9

robertpel9 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I you want to get a little away from anaheim, be close to the beaches and have a pricepoint in the middle, The Fairmonth near Newport beach is decent. If money is no object I reccomend the Ritz Carlton Laguna Niguel, The Montage Lauguna or Surf and Sand in Laguna.

18. shawdut

shawdut Formula Junior

May 30, 2014
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Shawn D

Agreed! I live on the West side and work near downtown and while downtown has come a long way within the last decade (for the better) and has some good restaurants, the West side is still offers the best

19. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    You could always consult Jonathan Gold's guide. 3 of his top 10 are downtown.
    FWIW, I'm not saying the OP SHOULD stay downtown, I'm just saying it's an option given the criteria.

An argument about food could go on for a while though...

20. Jumprun

Jumprun Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    T. Martinez
    Be prepared and allow plenty of time for traffic delays in LA/OC. It's gotten really bad in the last few years. There are no rush hours, it seems it is all hours now.

21. flat_plane_eddie

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    +1...until a few years ago I could get on the freeway during the weekends and somewhat move. Now it's a rush hour all day unless you get on at 7-8 AM.

22. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Don't listen to them....There are rush hours and trust me you don't want to be driving in them...Drive off hours and LAs highways and roads are great...

Sunset Drive in the Fcar at midnight is fantastic...as is PCH up through Malibu.

But seriously, regular driving is much better off rush hour times.

Have fun