Pearl Harbor 75th | FerrariChat

Pearl Harbor 75th

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by sowest, Dec 1, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Yesterday's paper (Wednesday, November 30) had a great set of supplements devoted to the Pear Harbor attack. They had interesting articles and great pictures.

Among the events open to the public are some movies at the outdoor screen at Waikiki Beach. The Friday movie is "Twelve O'Clock High", 5:30 to 10:00 PM. This is a very good movie, but a European Theater one seems an odd choice.

On Sunday, the movie will be "Run Silent, Run Deep", 5:30 to 10:00 PM.

On Monday, there will be a Gary Sinise concert at 5:30 PM, followed by "From Here to Eternity" at 7:30 PM.

I hope this windy and rainy weather goes away.

2. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011

I guess "Tora Tora Tora" wasn't PC enough for Waikiki ?

This is a good film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJLE2pnN9WY

Christian.Fr likes this.
  3. renman95

renman95 Karting

Jul 16, 2016
    Oahu, leeward side
    Full Name:
    D8LF
  4. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
  5. renman95

renman95 Karting

Jul 16, 2016
    Oahu, leeward side
    Full Name:
    D8LF
    Yeah, I thought HK was later in the month...around Christmas. I find it interesting that in 'history class' we learn about PH but not the extent of what Imperial Japan did on that day. Pretty impressive from a war fighting perspective.

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Well history class hardly mentioned the war on the Eastern front either and that made the Western front look like a skirmish. It all depends on whose ox was being gored.

7. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    I'm sure that if you had taken "History Class" in Japan, you would have learned a lot less about it.

8. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    I'm pretty sure it's all America's fault by now...somehow.

9. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    I just saw notice of two more events that will part of the Pearl Harbor remembrance.

On Sunday, there will be a parade through Waikiki, starting at Fort DeRussy. The time is listed as 4:30 to 7:30 PM. I think I have this right. There are five surviving USS Arizona crew members. They are all in their 90's. Three of them will be in the parade.

On Thursday there will be a program starting at 5:30 at the Waikiki outdoor theater. The movie will start at 7:30: "Sands of Iwo Jima".

I wonder what the rights and licensing issues are surrounding showing the movies. I thought a natural choice would be "In Harm's Way". Admittedly, it isn't that good of a movie, but the first part was about and filmed in Hawaii. I found the scene shot at the fantastic house and estate on top of the promontory overlooking Moanaloa Road, across from Tripler very interesting. John Wayne and Patricia Neal sat on the wall behind the house and Salt Lake was still there and in the background!!

When viewing the climactic naval battle at the end of the movie ( I think it was supposed to represent Leyte Gulf) all one can think of is "toy boat, toy boat, toy boat"....;>)

10. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Hong Kong officially fell on Christmas day. FDR and Churchill found out about it while having Christmas dinner together in Washington.

11. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    There was an interesting show on The History Channel last night, about a British double agent who reported that the Japanese were asking technical questions about Pearl Harbor. Of course Hoover never thought to forward this info to Kimmel.
    it also showed some of Kimmel's congressional testimony, claiming if he would have had Washington's intel... Doubt if that would have made any difference.

IMO, the blame lies squarely with Short. He should have asked the Brits to show him how to setup his air defenses, because he clearly had no clue.

12. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    While watching the same History Chanel program they said that at least 2 nazi planes flew with the Japanese to bomb Pearl Harbor. I had never heard that, though it makes sense. At any rate, supreme Muslim leader Hussein Obama will be in attendance at Pearl Harbor. I'm sure he will apologize to the Japanese.

13. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    The nightly news reports on ABC and NBC about the 75th anniversary of PH were very moving tonight. This will probably be the last major gathering of survivors who are now approaching 100+ years. I can still remember my Grandmother telling me the story of my Father, who was playing baseball that afternoon, running home after hearing the news. It must have been a dark time for Americans, especially after enduring the Great Depression. My hat off to the greatest generation and keeping the dream open to us.

14. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Very touching....Kind of wish I was there. I should be heading that way pretty soon and staying NS for a bit.

Aloha

15. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Anybody else hear the Raptors this morning ? That was loud !

16. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
  17. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    True.

18. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    Not only that, I assume that in the near future the U.S. will have to give Hawaii to Japan as "reparations"..... You never know.

19. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    No, but giving it back to the Hawaiians might be nice...

20. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid

Shouldn't we give it to Germany?

Sid

Calm down. I do know my history. It wasn't Germany that bombed Pearl Harbor. It was Canada.

21. piratepress

piratepress Formula Junior

May 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Chip A.
    My Father enlisted in the Marine Corps immediately following the Pearl Harbor attack and subsequently served on the USS Astoria during WWII. Following that he married "Mrs. Fixit" and lived in Honolulu for roughly 14 years before she died. One day I'm going to make it out there and visit her grave at Punchbowl.

Miss Fixit: Advice During WWII for the Lovelorn | Hawaii Reporter

22. jd359

jd359 Formula Junior

Jul 28, 2004
    S.F. East Bay
    Full Name:
    J.D.
    Amazing story. My father has been at Punchbowl for the last 6 months. I'll bring flowers for your mom too when I visit.