997.1 v 997.2 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

997.1 v 997.2

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Texas Forever, Nov 8, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GG

GG Formula 3

Feb 21, 2008
    I paid mid-50s for my '11 C2S. It was one of the lightest optioned, yet most expensive 997s on the market. I could have paid a bit more for a 991, but they are completely different cars and this particular 997 was my perfect spec. Not to mention it looked like it just rolled off the assembly line, whereas the majority of other 997s I looked at were not in the best condition (excessive interior wear, things of that nature).

With these cars, you need to understand how vast the options list is, so the best thing you can do is identify what options matter most to you (ie. non-negotiables) and prepare to look long and hard for the right car. Mine took about 3 months to find.

2. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    GG - It sounds you got the car you wanted and if so the exact price not the main issue. It seems that the S model goes for $8 - $10k more than the base car. I doubt than you can find a 991 C2S for anywhere near mid $50s even lightly optioned. I really don't think the price point is very close for the 997.2 and the 991. The options serve to obscure the price differential.

You are correct about Porsche and the available options. When I ordered my car the dealer had a book with 200 pages of options it took a couple of hours to go through. So when buying used the search for the "perfect" car can be daunting. When my son was looking it was his first Porsche so he was not so particular and didn't get many things I would have wanted.

3. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

997.2 Turbo S is the car to get

LARRYH likes this.
  4. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Yep I just upgraded to 997.2 Turbo S. Traded in my son's 2010 C2 and gave him my previous 997.1 Turbo. Big step up for him and myself. The new to me Turbo S is not as highly optioned as the 997.1 Turbo I spec'd but driving wise big step up in performance. The center lock wheels look cool but the hassle with flats may not be worth it? I will know after my first flat.

LARRYH and Oengus like this.
  5. Island Time

Island Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    IMS wasn’t an issue except on the earliest 05’s.

Now if you wanna .2 over a .1 because of the redesigned oil passages for the extra cooling that prevents cyl wall cracking, that may be a valid reason.

Loved my .1 “S”. Best, most fun car I ever owned.

6. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    IMS wasn't an issue on any Turbos as it was a completely different engine than the Carrera engine. But the .2 cars got PDK which I wanted over Tip (I have a knee issue), direct injection, a little better entertainment system and Turbo S edition got CCB and more ponies than the .1 Turbo. All of which I wanted. I didn't even know about redesigned cooling system and I don't track my car so not such a major item for my consideration. Also I didn't really want a bigger car hence I didn't go for a 991 Turbo S. I also prefer the appearance of the 997 over the 991 or 992.

7. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    Funny seeing this thread resurrected! I’m currently drooling over a macadamia 997.2 turbo cab and a 997.2 GTS that a local dealer has. Both really cool specs to have in at once!

8. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Tough call, I am more of a coupe guy not into cabs so much. If it were a 997.2 Turbo S there would be no question in my mind, even though macadamia is not the top of my color picks. Neither of your residences NY or Denver are good 12 month cab venues.
    I believe the 997.2 GTS was still normally aspirated (?) which may have some appeal, especially in a coupe. What color is the GTS?

9. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    Yeah, neither are top choices for me. I love macadamia, but do not care for a cab. Love the GTS trim, but power loss of NA at the altitude in Denver/the mountains is a major problem. The GTS is white which is the absolute bottom of my color choices but it’s the cleanest I’ve seen and nicely specced

10. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I also am not a white Porsche guy although I have seen a couple I liked alright but would never buy. You are certainly right about driving at altitude with a NA engine. I did it in Colorado many years ago and not much fun.

Doesn't sound like either car is really checking enough or the right boxes to get your checkbook out. Maybe keep on looking is the right answer - you sure don't want to be regretful about your choice.

11. steveintoronto

steveintoronto Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2007
    Minor issue, but the 9A1 engine is quieter from the factory than the M97. Depends on who you are, but for me, a 997.2 needs a mild exhaust upgrade, while the .1 is perfect.

12. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I don’ know for either the 997.1 TT or the 997.2 TTS are both anemic sounding like aggressive vacuum cleaners. IMO I have a V12 Fcar with HTG2, now that is a sound!