GT350(R) vs. ZL1 vs. Hellcat | FerrariChat

GT350(R) vs. ZL1 vs. Hellcat

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by Playboy V12, Aug 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Playboy V12

Playboy V12 Karting

Aug 23, 2004
    The Gardens
    Is it possible to make a decision on which car would be most enjoyable without driving any of them?

You analyze that the GT350(R) is the most hardcore driver's car of the three. Videos, and your gut should tell you that. Lightest, flat plane crank V8, best handling/braking, etc.

Old ZL1 is a no brainer....decent but relegated a few years ago, but new one has 640/640 hp/lb-ft. That's ridiculous. Narrows gap with Hellcat power wise while being better handling.

And then the Hellcat itself. Normally I'd see this as a one trick pony car but Lee loving the hell out of this car with the type of collection he has - damn!

I've learned driving/experiencing answers all 99% of the time. It's the main reason why older F cars and other exotics remain in the game despite being made obsolete performance wise.

Curious if anyone has driven all three?

2. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Haven't driven the new ZL1 yet. The others are fantastic, each in their own way. The GT350R will outrun the Hellcat around the roadcourse, has an awesome, rev-happy screamer of an engine. The Hellcat has an equally incredible engine(with probably the most rigorous stress testing of any engine that I'm aware of) and will stomp the Mustang in a straight line.
    Don't discount the abilities of the ZL1-I doubt that the Mustang brakes or chassis are any better as GM is currently building some of the best in the business. I wouldn't be surprised if the Camaro is just as fast around a roadcourse.
    All three are amazing,unique and fun to drive(haven't driven the ZL1, but the SS is very good). The GT350R is still getting large dealer mark-ups. The Hellcat can easily be purchased at sticker. I would expect the same with the ZL1. Collectability, the R currently has the lead, the Hellcat resale is very good and the Camaro will be good but probably trail the other two.
    As an open road GT, the Hellcat is tough to beat-especially if you have more than one friend. The others are more agile. It's a tough decision that will come down to what you prefer in this type of car-size,appearance, intended use and probably the type of roads near you. Not a loser in the bunch.

3. stuntman

stuntman Karting

May 23, 2005
    West Palm, FL
    Yup. Depends on what you're looking for.

4. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    I really want to drive a ZL1 Camaro sometime, but I can attest the 2009-13 ZL1's are a beast ! It can run right with our Ford GT, and can now be bought with low miles for the high 50's low 60's range. A lot of bang for the buck.

Hoping the next ZL1 Vette is a mid-engine. Saw spy pics today that think it may be off the current platform.

I want to drive a Hellcat as well, and have liked Dodge products ever since my '06 SRT8 Charger.

5. Playboy V12

Playboy V12 Karting

Aug 23, 2004
    The Gardens
    Great summary, thanks!

6. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    I seriously doubt it.

All three are faster than most anything else on the road in their price segment, so it comes down to what hits your hot buttons. For that, bench racing and magazine articles are not sufficient. Gotta get out there and drive 'em, though that's basically impossible for the R and ZL1 at this time.

7. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Aside from tracking the car, if you are looking for a daily driver/GT go ahead and take into account entry price, resale potential, and looks.

8. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    I have had 2 Hellcats. The challenger and the Charger. Currently still have the Charger. Terrific cars and a lot of bang for the buck. Charger has 4 doors and a few more items like seat memory that the Challenger does not have. Can't go wrong with either. Beautiful sounding engine! ( think NASCAR )

9. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Hard to say until you sit in a camaro. The 5th Gen had a narrow view from driving position per the windshield versus GT350. That's what bothered me the most about the 5th Gen z/28

10. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I just love the engine sound. I would buy the Hellcat just to hear the engine.

Someone posted the Hellcat was a "one trick pony" I agree but what a trick! It does not handle like a sports car but who cares, I don't

The vest news it is big enough to be your family car. In my case I can put everyone I know in the car. :)

Best

Lee

11. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    If you are going to track the car or play in the twisties then the Hellcat just isn't in the same league. It's an amazing car, sounds awesome. But it has the smallest tires of the three and the most weight.
    If you are looking to cruise and have fun, then any of the three would work, with a nod to the Dodge. It's comfortable and easy to drive. The old ZL1 was a beast, but I personally just don't like the driving position and visibility.

12. Dragster

Dragster Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    I agree, and unfortunately it hasn't changed with the 6th gen.

13. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    zL1 gets my vote. GM usually has the best performing all around track cars

14. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    New gen z28 will be interesting competitor to 350r

15. N.Okrusko

N.Okrusko Rookie

Jan 17, 2016
    How about adding in the new Z06? Personally one of my favorite cars to drive. Especially the convertible. Torque is fantastic, and power is immediate.

16. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I'm very interested in the challenger hellcat. Next spring I think I'll pick one up. How big are the back seats? I'd be using it as a sedan.

17. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    coming out with a wide body hellcat for next year which should be great
    but if you need sedan, why not get a 4 door hellcat charger?

18. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
  19. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I much prefer the looks of the challenger.

20. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I'm interested in a GT350. I sat in a regular Mustang and it felt claustrophobic to me. I guess most newer cars are like this.

21. Intheflesh

Intheflesh Formula 3

Jun 2, 2006
    Salem NH
    Full Name:
    John T
    I've had a gt350 (teck pack car) that I've been daily driven since May. Bought it as a weekend toy, but quickly became my DD. Its probably a bit stiff for most for daily driving. The thing I like the most - its dead quiet inside. Well, with the exception of the exhaust. Road noise is non existent. With the exhaust in "quiet" mode, it is no louder than a stock 5.0 GT as a comparison.

I took it on a 5 hour drive from Boston to Lake Placid over the summer, and it proved to be a great grand touring car too.

Its a great all around car, but there are a few issues that came up:

1) people are reporting overheating/limp mode on track days in the tech pack cars. The track pack cars have additional heat exchangers for the trans, oil and diff. I do not track cars so this doesn't really affect me.

2) Open recall for an oil hose...not crimped properly and may loosen itself. I haven't received my letter yet, but a VIN search shows that I am affected. A dealer on a Shelby forum leaked the information. Ford has not made an announcemnt yet, and repair fix ETA is first quarter 2017.

3) There's a leak my AC compressor. Common problem and the parts to fix it are on a national back order. I was given a 30 day estimate.

22. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    There is a white one that I see in my parking garage on occasion and it is a beauty!

23. YenkoYS100

YenkoYS100 Karting

Sep 9, 2004
    Payson, AZ USA
    Full Name:
    Gloria McClurkan
    All 2017's come with the track pack standard, so the coolers are now included on all.

You make me jealous. I would love to have a GT350 for a daily driver. We were going to get a 2013 Boss 302 until practicality got in the way (we get snow). We ended up with a Ford Explorer Sport, with the TT3.5L. It is fun and practical, but not the same.

24. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    How cool are those carbon fiber wheels....are you concerned having them disappear when you just leave on the street...

I'm with you on the idea of using your gt350r as a daily....

That drop in unstrung weight has a sweet effect on handling and ride...

Very cool ride...congrats