Speccing a late F12 ! | FerrariChat

Speccing a late F12 !

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by jackal2513, Dec 12, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jackal2513

jackal2513 Karting

Oct 17, 2005
    Hi Guys, have a june/july build. I'm going to go through all this with my dealer later this week but trying to preempt a few things so would be grateful for any help.

1. Alcantara steering wheel ... any good ? Anyone have it ?

2. The leather and Alcantara interior trim option, I don't really understand what you get. What parts will automatically be Alcantara. Do I have to pay extra again for an Alcantara headliner ?

3. Carbon rear shelf moulding. Does it look any good and connect up with the visual impact of CF driving env+dash+bridge+cup holder or waste of money ?

4. Black rev counter. Does it look any good ? Don't fancy a yellow one or any of the other options.

5. light stitching. can you delete it on just the upper dash to avoid light reflections in teh windscreen ?

6. carbon front splitter and side cills .... can you actuially see these ? Do they have any visual impact ? Quite a lot of money if they are not that discernable from regular black.

thanks for any help gents

R

2. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    most of what you ask are personal things...I don't like much alcantera so I would vote against that in a GT car.
    The CF rear shelf also doesn't seem very "GT" to me...but hey, it's your car.
    I have the CF side sills and to be frank am disappointed I the impact you get per dollar spent...wouldn't do that option next time.

I am interested to hear about the stitching as well...would be nice to leave it dark on the upper dash but "blingy" elsewhere.

3. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Rich

For 2 "Do I have to pay extra again for an Alcantara headliner?" - Of course it's Ferrari :)

For 5 yes you can although there's an extra cost :)
    For 6 You can see them but the first thing you'd need to do is add PPF as they chip really easily

4. JasonSpidey

JasonSpidey Karting

Nov 8, 2010
    Sorry, not to derail the thread, but—seriously? Wow. I'm shocked to hear they'll still be building F12berlinettas three to four months after the new model debuts

With the August factory shutdown, does that mean they won't start making the "F12M" until September 2017?

5. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    #5 rockitman, Dec 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Your dealer should supply you with this interior spec info...This is US info. If you like CF...order as much as you can afford. The only disappointing CF option for the money is the rear diffusor in CF. You can hardly see it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

ScottS likes this.
  6. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Makes sense for the full production run so they can use the August shut down to switch lines. Leaving it late.....

7. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    1. I think it has a tendency to look worn and dirty after a while.

2. I the "basic" leather/Alcantara package, I believe you get the lower dash, door panel inserts, door arm rest, seat centers, and upper tunnel.
    What I recall you can order in Alcantara besides that is, Steering wheel, floor carpet, boot carpet, boot trim, door pockets, roof lining, rear parcel shelf and rear wall. Now why one would pay to get something a lot less luxurious in such a car when one can have leather, beats me. I just don't get it.

3. I think the CF inside look like plastic and way out of place in a refined sports GT like the F12.

4. Black rev counter looks good - and it's the easiest to read.

5. You can have it any way you like. It's only a matter of paying. I do believe you need to spec via the atelier to do this. Your dealer should know how.

6. Yes these options are very easy to see. The front splitter is, well, right at the front of the car. The side sills(skirts) run the length of the car between the wheels. As was said, have these wrapped in something like two layers of SunTek film. They will take a beating.

Good luck with your purchase.

8. jackal2513

jackal2513 Karting

Oct 17, 2005
    Thanks guys. All useful info.

Thanks again Mark :)

And hello Christian, we have spoken before re: Allnic (UK importer)

9. f12tm

f12tm Karting

Nov 26, 2014
    North Carolina
    I have the Alcantara steering wheel and wish I had selected leather.. the Alcantara wheel has a hard feel to it and after a while is just uncomfortable to grip... I suspect the leather would have a touch of cushion to it...
    I have the bold light color stitching and have no issues with windshield reflection..none
    I also have the CF (matte finish) front splitter and have ordered a standard one to replace it..
    way to much money for such an exposed piece.. take your standard splitter and have it
    wrapped if you want the cf look
    have fun ordering your F12 !

10. jackal2513

jackal2513 Karting

Oct 17, 2005
    Thanks very much

Alc steering wheel definitely out !

Undecided then on the CD splitter/cills. Perhaps that money would be better spent toward an Innotech or Capristo. Car will also go straight to Topax for PPF so that will cost some as well.

Decided against the Hifi. I reckon a local shop can do an awful lot for half the money.

Not certain on the lift yet. Maybe useful when touring around Europe but don't think i'll need it much in the Uk. Arguably good for resale as well.

11. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    You've been given some good advice above.

The only thing I would caution you on is the aftermarket stereo. If its at all important then I would reconsider the hi-fi. Its not truly worth it in the direct you pay this to get that sense. But, you would have to spend quite a bit more than the cost of the package to get anywhere near the results with aftermarket parts. AND, at least in the US, you would be lowering the value of your car by fitting the aftermarket stereo. We are less sensitive to an after market exhaust. I have the hi-fi in my car and it sounds good. Not amazing, but good and I'm glad I did it.

12. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Rich, I can make a very good recommendation for the film, better job than Topaz and significantly cheaper

13. jackal2513

jackal2513 Karting

Oct 17, 2005

yep would welcome it, will certainly take a look

14. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I'm also interested to know that Mark for my incoming F12 if you don't mind?

15. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Talk to Steve Baker at Chipguard, 3M VentureShield Motorbike & Motorcycle Paint Protection Film from Chipguard

He's recently completed my 599 and FF, the work is simply amazing and their price was around half of Topaz's quote. Think both of mine are Suntek film but they'll apply Xpel if you prefer

16. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    They will be making 350 70th cars including 70 F12 till factory close. Guess Summer break logical.

17. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    most of the questions have been answered but I wanted to mention I do have the carbon fiber front splitter and to me it is worth it . I looked at so many (and owned a few) that have the black plastic front splitter to me the carbon fiber makes a statement for the front of the car .. I did not get the side sills but went with black don't think I would change that ... Re the stitching Ferrari will change delete it on the dash if desired.... I made some changes like that....
    If you have some money left over I added alcantara carpet ... in black for my tan interior car looks really nice and Ferrari will make the mats out of alcantara also ...
    best of luck

18. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    #18 rockitman, Dec 13, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
    Lotus ? I still love my H5000DHT. :D
    Congrats on the F12. It is simply a spectacular ride.

19. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I have all the Carbon and agree with Larry about the CF front splitter. The side rockers in CF is worth it too.

20. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    SunTek is by far the clearest and glossiest of the two. I had XPEL on my DD but later had SunTek applied to the wife car and our RR. Now my DD got a SunTek wrap as well. It's by far the better looking film. Clear, deep and invisible as a film currently can be. I also find the SunTek easier to clean.

21. jackal2513

jackal2513 Karting

Oct 17, 2005

Thats me. H5 is a wonderful piece.

Thanks for the extra input guys. Carbon everything inside (save door card inserts) and carbon splitter and cills it is.

22. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I had a well known company recommend the same product. Was very surprised he was not on the XPEL train. He is known for his top notch paint corrections and said the Suntek product didn't hide the result. The XPEL is known for its protection and longer warrantee though. He also recommended replacement after 5 years on any product and for a 3 layer paint he would rather not use a film at all. Kind of surprised me.

23. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    I always put paint protection film on my exterior carbon and internal sills and lower door panels. To date this has worked well and the carbon still looks mint.

24. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I wonder why he would say that re: 3 layer paint. I know some detailers who just think any film is bad because it will inevitably dull some of the result. I look at like which trade off do you want.

25. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Caeruleus - I think he said that because he was examining the car at the time and said the 3 layer paint would actually change color a bit after he was done with it and the film would hide the effect. I invited him over as he was in the area doing a well known local FChater's collection. He actually was leaning towards no film at all which surprised me. I also found it interesting that it didn't matter about the longer warrantees on the films as they should be changed every 5 years anyway. I took his word for it after seeing the magic he performs as well as his clientele.