Maserati Khamsin | Page 268 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Bal, Jack,

Website is on but the details you are referring to were on the old website not this one, yet.

They will be eventually but it is part of renewing, I moved the webmaster service from Florida to the UK this past winter and need more time to reimplant these pages you mention as well as add new ones and there are only 24 hours in a day:)

Best regards,

Marc

2. silvsurf

silvsurf Karting

Dec 18, 2010
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Herbert Putz
  3. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    When I had my Khamsin I was quite frustrated as to how inaccurate the speedo was as it over read all across the range and it turned out to be the drive in the gearbox.
    I found this today for others who may also find useful.
    It takes a GPS signal and coverts it via a stepper motor to drive the speedo. and it fully programmable so the scale doesn't matter. The only thing needed is the drive cable to the Speedo and they make those, but it could probably be reverse engineered, Ie send them a cable so they can put their fitting on it.
    SPEEDBOX? GPS/VSS to Mechanical Drive Speed Converter

4. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    How does that GPS/speedo work inside a tunnel without GPS signals....

5. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    What I always found amazing is that the speedo on my Ghibli was very accurate within 2-3 miles per hour vs a GPS.

6. silvsurf

silvsurf Karting

Dec 18, 2010
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Herbert Putz
  7. OFFtrack

OFFtrack Karting

Jan 4, 2013
    Berlin
    Full Name:
    Dirk R.
    that a lot of red inside.

Does anybody know if the exterior color is original and what the name is?
    My Khamsin currently has a similar color but it is not original.
    Think the grey suits the K very well though.

thanks
    Dirk

8. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #6683 Nembo1777, Dec 14, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Herbert, Dirk,

That is indeed 0148 which was owned by Pierre Castinel a major designer in recent years, lives in Shanghai only visits France once or twice a year so not practical to use the car which he kept near Paris near where it is for sale.
    He had the car totally color changed, here are photos of its original colors in and out. I saw it in person at Le Mans Classic a few years ago, quite spectacular.

It used to be owned by Mr Gauchenot who was a President of the French Maser club in the 80's or 90's.

The current colors are not original but another French K has a very similar shade and one or two others elsewhere as well. There is one in the Zurich area in Grigio Flemington though it was not born that way.

So yes gunmetal grey works nicely, giving the car the appearance of being a block of steel or granite. 016 in France was painted like that for a while and won ladies choice at K40 but is being put back to its original Rame metallizzato.

Best regards,

Marc
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    Take a look at the Oil Pressure gauge picture.

11 kg/cm2 (approx. 10.7 bar); let's hope it is a faulty instrument.
    Otherwise this Khamsin engine has a few hours of life left, at best!

Regards.

10. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    I noticed the oil pressure gauge reading as well, and would
    be concerned as well !!!

As this is a smooth nose K, when did they change the front seats?
    My K, 1120, has completely different seats... I sort of like these
    seats better.. Do you have any info Marc?

Mike

11. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi both,

Re the gauge it is really cold here or was so perhaps they took the pic early one morning having just started the engine, who knows...

The seats are early seats and US cars did not get those at all that is true.

I had looked once and if I recall correctly it is only after car 230 -speaking here of Euro spec cars- that the seats changed from those in 148 to the next version. Then there are some seats used only in very very early cars.

Best regards,

Marc

12. SMarc

SMarc Rookie

Mar 21, 2016
    Yes but this car sold new in France (1975) with totally white seats.

13. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    True, good point, the Thepenier file I have does confirm all white seats so clearly they got dyed or reupholstered later to partially green. The only two tone seats I can think of now is 352 new to Switzerland.

Best regards,

MS

14. OFFtrack

OFFtrack Karting

Jan 4, 2013
    Berlin
    Full Name:
    Dirk R.
    Regarding the seats: Are you talking about the headrests?
    My Euro spec japanese K is #208 and has the smaller, less spacious headrests with the wooden (?!) connector piece. Its from 1977 (although apparently built in 1976) with a vented nose.

Grigio Flemington was not an official Khamsin color, right?
    Were there official "shades of grey"?
    My Kyalami is grigio flemington and I think it is a very fine color

best
    Dirk

15. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #6690 Nembo1777, Dec 16, 2016
    Hello Dirk!

Entschuldigung for the delayed reply crazy week! The good news is another Khamsin will soon join the Berlin K population, contract signed this morning:) I will introduce you to the buyer a very nice guy and if he decides to maybe he will join the forum as well.

So to answer your questions yes the difference is mainly in the headrests, mine AM120US1242 also had the headrests you describe. There are however some early cars with the button to flip the seat back forward in the middle of the seat back at the bottom, strange seats, I will post a photo if I can find it, I now have 7000 in the MKR file:)!

Grigio Flemington was formally used for other Maser models but not the Khamsin.
    Attached is a color list by the factory for the K but this being Italy and not Japan the list is not complete.

A good weekend to all,

Marc

16. OFFtrack

OFFtrack Karting

Jan 4, 2013
    Berlin
    Full Name:
    Dirk R.
    Perfect. Thanks marc.
    In the distant future I will consider Blue Ischia then.
    Argento just looks a bit boring imho

Please forward my details to the new K owner here in Berlin. Almost worth to start a club

Dirk

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

17. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    #6692 Mexico074, Dec 19, 2016
  18. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Dirk,

I just sent him your email address.

His car won't arrive in Berlin for several weeks though but he is there and happy:)

Best regards,

Marc

19. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Marc,

Since 2016 is drawing to a close, do you have a view on how many K's changed ownership or were offered for sale in the past 12 months?

Best,

Jack.

20. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Jack,

Interesting question, I am traveling this afternoon to Geneva and onto London tomorrow but will answer later, sharing what I know, of course that is not the complete picture.

I have some exciting news about two K's that have emerged from the woodwork after 20 plus years of slumber, one in Calabria, one near Paris: will share later today or this week.

Best regards,

Marc

21. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #6696 Nembo1777, Dec 25, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
    Hello all,

-Merry Christmas to you, your families and wedged macchina in the garage and, I hope, on the road:).

-I received a very special present today from a European multiple Khamsin owner, friend, client, wonderful guy, true enthusiast who takes his wife and small daughters for rides in some of his K's to lunch and is none other than the one who saved "Nessie's pet" the just a little rusty gold Khamsin from Scotland last February, just for the beauty of saving it.

A few weeks ago he had emailed me asking what my perfect K spec would be...I was surprised but answered it would be a little lighter shade of gold than my oro kelso former 1242, with tan/senape interior as it was born, with no mirrors which is how the factory delivered them -plus our necks swiwel for a reason and in a car with such excellent visibility who needs those eye sores only useful when not driving fast enough anyway...-.
    I thought he was having a scale model repainted for me but when I came back from London last night I found a large flat gift...and when, with suitable flute of Christmas bubbly in hand , I unwrapped it with the other presents I found this: a bespoke painting:)
    The shape already existed as commissioned by him but the colors and written in details are unique and that makes it a very special present: a very touching one.

Many thanks Mister X:)

-In the last few weeks I went to Holland, Toulouse and the UK saw six K's so I will tell the tales here during the holidays. There is good lots of good news, Khamsins are being saved and restored, one will be out back in a very exciting seventies color not seen on a K in several decades (put on your sunglasses before looking at the photos of it next year:)!) plus we have our International reunion in Burgundy June 22-25 2017, the successor event to KHAMSIN QUARANTA IN 2012: CLASSIC MASERATIS IN HIDDEN BURGUNDY.

This will be open to all K's, Boras and other classic Maseratis with the aim to relive the spirit of K40 in a new very special event with great traffic free hill roads, very special castles, wineries, gastronomy, classical music concert in the most amazing private stables in France, VIP guest designer, concours with Maserati Classiche judging, awards evening and dancing. The most special element in K40 though were the people, truly wonderful enthusiasts, educated, knowledgeable about all sorts of things -not just nuts and bolts- but totally unpretentious and as friendly as can be.
    Those who come will have priority for subsequent events in later years which will be in the south of France and Italy.

Sorting out the final touches to the event was actually the purpose of my UK trip, to spend an intense day with my publisher Doug Blair for this. It went very well!

We don't make any money from such an event, it is exciting to create the perfect 3 day cocoon to meet other classic Maser enthusiasts as during K40 in 2012:)

For Christmas I also received the new Maserati the family silver book and will post a review in its dedicated thread in a few days.

All the best,

Marc

22. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #6697 Nembo1777, Dec 25, 2016
  23. silvsurf

silvsurf Karting

Dec 18, 2010
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Herbert Putz
    Dear Marc,

Merry Christmas to you and all other readers as well!!

As a participant of Khamsin Quaranta in 2012 I can confirm everything said - it was a great event and I am looking forward joining the event in June 2017!

Oh, and I almost forgot to say that I share your passion for "oro kelso but a little bit lighter" :). I really have to let my K be repainted to this colour as it was also the original colour :):).

best regards

Herbert

24. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Merry Christmas to all !!

Oro Longchamp is a nice shade of gold.

Ivan

25. richjar

richjar Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2009
    Hi All,
    The 5 drive belts; 2x air con, 2x power steering and alternator. Do*you know the part numbers of these belts?
    Mine have been on the car for sometime and although are in good condition, could do with being replaced soon.
    Thanks,
    Richard