EZcarlift | FerrariChat

EZcarlift

Discussion in '308/328' started by Van de Merghel, Dec 16, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Van de Merghel

Aug 18, 2006
    Anaheim, CA
    Is anyone using an EZcarlift unit to work on their 308?
    Is it working out for your specific needs?
    Any feedback? You can PM me if you want.
    Thank you for your inputs.

2. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
  3. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Check out a Maxjax before you buy, I have one and am very pleased with it. Goes up 44" and can be moved out of the way.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

4. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Did you have to reinforce the footing area? From what I've found, most residential garage concrete floors aren't thick enough.

Which is my problem and why I'm considering the EZcarlift as well.

5. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Same issue here... by the time I get the concrete footings redone and arrange delivery/unloading to my difficult to get to by truck garage... Max Jax is an expensive proposition for me. Plus its bulky and I can't use its entire height any way. I emailed to see if EZ car lift might be interested in some sort of group buy.

6. Van de Merghel

Aug 18, 2006
    Anaheim, CA
    I see that we sure have headaches with our garages!

It is true I would prefer something larger but in order to accomodate any other solution, I would have to do MAJOR modifications to my garage, i.e. put in a new thicker slab, redirect the natural gas line, re-inforce all 4 corners of the garage and remove the central support rafters and I still have overhead clearance issues, etc.. Pushing the walls out and the roof up is not an option, to boot, the city will not issue a permit for the modifications.

That's the reason why I'm considering the EZcarlift. Yes, the hydraulic ones seem to be good also but they're very car type specific (L.M.S.). Not interested in hydraulic units. If the unit works out, I'm also considering getting the different cross members to accomodate the width of my 330. My knees aren't what they used to be, I'm no longer a contortionist and genuflections are not my thing. But, I still enjoy working on my cars and above all driving them!

Wondering where are the lifting points for the 308? I hope no one is using the rocker panels to lift the 308.

7. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
    #7 Sigmacars, Dec 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have mine for 3 years no problem at all just make sure all the fittings are tight no leaks with my lift,mine is the 120V type
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    I lift directly on the oval chassis members under the car.

9. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Does not look like the same lift

10. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
    #10 Sigmacars, Dec 16, 2016
  11. tinterow

tinterow Formula 3

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chaya Tinterow
    #11 tinterow, Dec 16, 2016
  12. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
    I looked into this. I believe it costs over $2K, which is very expensive. The quickjack system seems to be much more portable and effective and form a major company, bendpak. Other scissor jack lifts go up higher as seen in the snap on post above and cost about the same. I still have not bought yet but I wouldn't get this one.

13. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
  14. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    #14 Alden, Dec 16, 2016
    No, you only need 4" of concrete, most residential garages have that.

Also, at 44" you can roll around under it on a mechanic's stool with wheels, no more crawling on the concrete.

I have had mine for a few months now and couldn't be happier.

For 2K or less, I think it is a great value.

My Jag in the air:
    Alden
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I also use the MaxJax but I did have to buy a jackshaft type garage door opener to get rid of the overhead unit which hung down a foot and a half from the ceiling. The Jackshaft style mounts on the wall next to the door and turns the torque shaft directly which gives you a clear overhead. For a 308 you could actually get by with an 8 foot ceiling (44" + 52" of lift) Also a 308 is about half the rating for the lift so you really don't need to go completely overboard sweating the concrete thickness. I also put in multiple mounting points so I can use it outside in the summer.

All I can say about a lift, any kind of lift, is that you'll wonder why you didn't get one 20 years ago. This EZ lift looks interesting in that it can be used as a workbench or other function when not being used as a lift, it doesn't need hydraulics or electrical power and stores/transports easily. May seem a bit pricey but you'll get over that.

16. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Web search on them.
    A garage journal forum has a couple of threads on the EZcarlift.
    There was a report of reliability and caster issues with the EZcarlift, and complaints about the short length of the QuickJack (although they now have an XL version of the QuickJack).
    That forum seems to like the MaxJax, but you need the garage floor for it, and you can't use it in the driveway. ;)

(While the EZ is mechanical, people use drills to raise and lower it, but most portable drills don't have the battery to handle that. So you're still linked to a power source, unless you need the upper arm exercise. ;))

The trade-off seems to be that the cross-bar of the EZ means it's not as useful for multiple cars (unless you get multiple cross bar sets).
    The parallelogram nature of the QuickJack results in a trade-off between lift point distance and clearance between the tires.

As for the lift height difference, the EZ is taller when "down" so it has a head start, but it might be harder to get under a low clearance car.

I have a conventional low-rise "portable" (sic) lift, but as that's now in the lower garage with the Alfa, I was considering a genuinely portable lift for doing tire and oil work on the other cars in the other garage.
    Personally, I'd be a bit leery of getting under a screwjack lift without a safety block.

17. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    If you have the space, a 4 post lift is great for service and parking.

18. italianjoe

italianjoe Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2010
    dearborn heights mi
    Full Name:
    joe
    The best bang for the buck by far is the max jax.....the problem with ez lift is not enough height. .....with the 4 post problem is you can't do brakes or suspension work but great for storing more the one vehicle if you have the garage height. The sissior lifts work good but get in the way when working under the car........with the max jax you can get 48 inch of lift in a standard 8 foot garage. I bought mine a few years ago and have never regret it.[​IMG][​IMG]

19. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    +1
    And you don't have to bolt it down, in fact most have castors so they can be moved if you have enough space. So many things on these cars involve stooping - and real men don't stoop.

20. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    To do wheel work with a four post, you need the optional bridge jacks, to lift the frame from the runners.
    If you're using it for a parking lift, the drip pans aren't a bad idea either.

A low rise lift is fine for people who mostly do tires and the odd oil change with a creeper.
    I had my low-rise for doing coil-overs on the Celica, and summer/winter wheel swaps on the EVO 8.

"The right tool for the job" applies to lifts, too.

Look at what you'll use it for *the most*, then look for the options that will let you do the "occasional" jobs as well.

21. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I have done a ton of suspension and brakes work on my 4 post.

1. Lift car up
    2. Place 2 jack stands and a piece of 4X4 under the car at the solid supporting points
    3. Lower the car using the lift until the car is on the jack stands
    4. Remove the wheels
    5. Support the car on pieces of 4X4 under the little square jack points provided by Ferrari
    6. Lift the car up again, to an appropriate working height, then do the rest.

It is like using your lift as a 8000 lb jack. It works. And it takes the same time as a jack.

22. italianjoe

italianjoe Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2010
    dearborn heights mi
    Full Name:
    joe
    Yes you guys are correct you can do all of the above but the additional air Jacks, drip trays, all at an additional price $$$$$$.... not to mention that you will need a 220v line on most 4 post and an air supply adds more to cost......additionally they are cable operated wich requires more maintenance . Not saying it's a bad hoist just saying that for the money and a standard size garage it has good valve, low maintenance, and does not require additional air line and/or 220v outlet.

gcumbey likes this.
  23. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    Anyone actually have a mid-rise lift like the Danmar Cadet? There are a bunch like that that lift about 48", usually a pair of parallelogram or scissors, a lot like the low-rise, but with more rise. I am really serious about one and I'm pouring a new garage floor here in a few weeks. I'd like to get some recommendations so that I can pour a 4-6" pit in the floor to keep the top of the lift at or below floor height. No ramps to deal with then. Maybe I'd even put a plate over it when not in use for a flat floor other wise. Any stories or recommendations on brands?

I have a narrow-ish 2-car wide garage space and I'm hesitant to commit to the Max jacks or other post systems that need a permanent home.

gcumbey likes this.
  24. Van de Merghel

Aug 18, 2006
    Anaheim, CA
    It is interesting to note from all the contributors above that in a great many instances, open garage space was not the primary reason for the car lift selection. In my case, when all's said and done I have a 15x15 space for 2 cars. That's why I'm looking for something compact, something with which I can lift the car and do the famous "TIMING BELTS' and basic service and then store out of the way the unit when done.

I thought that quite possibly someone owned one of these units and could give me some feedback. Apparently, no such luck.

However, your inputs did provide me with some insights on how you made the choices you did.

25. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    +1
    I hesitated for a long time but finally purchased one though I don't have enough ceiling height to lift my cars enough to stand upright below them.
    Now I work sitting on a discarded office chair with rollers.
    Never worked so convenient before. Actually it's even more convenient slightly leaning back into the chair than standing upright bending the neck permanently.
    For further safety against banging my head against sharp edged things, I wear a hard cap.
    And suspension work with the integrated jack is a treat.

Best Regards
    Martin