New Vetro! wrong bumper! | FerrariChat

New Vetro! wrong bumper!

Discussion in '308/328' started by msgsobe, Dec 8, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. msgsobe

msgsobe Formula 3

Aug 10, 2006
    Miami Beach/Aspen
    Full Name:
    Mark Gold
    Well, Brexit been very very good to me! In addition to my new F40, I'm bringing home a Euro 76 Vetroresina! Only issue, seems back in the day they wanted to "update" the cars, so someone replaced the rear bumper (with reverse lights) and tailights with the later ones with reverse lights in the tailights. Anyone know where I can find an original bumper with reverse lights? And what years were they used that way?

thanks all!

2. SJP 5

SJP 5 Karting

Jun 7, 2015
    I would have checked for accident history as it looks it may have been rear ended and the original lights and bumper were no longer available and replaced with the later more available parts as its unlikely anyone would want to update this area.

3. Furanku

Furanku Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2009
    Those bumpers/tail lights were used ONLY on Vetroresina, with the exception of US vetroresinas that where equiped like steal bodied cars from the start. It means that they equiped roughly 700 cars, and that's it. In other words, I don't know where you can find one, and I think it will take some time to find. But you have an F40, so I can't say I'm sorry for you because I'm too jealous. ;-)

4. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    probably you need to machine a standard bumper... ;)

ciao

5. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Congrats on the acquisitions. Very cool!

We here on the 3x8 forum are of the (horribly biased) opinion that the 3x8 is one of the most beautiful Ferraris ever built. I am sure many of us would like to read about your impressions of the 308 from the perspective of an F40 owner. Why did you buy a 308?

Best wishes on the search for the correct bumper. My prediction is that it will probably be easiest to have one fabricated. Finding one is probably as difficult as finding parts for the 1960s Ferraris, but you never can tell.

6. msgsobe

msgsobe Formula 3

Aug 10, 2006
    Miami Beach/Aspen
    Full Name:
    Mark Gold
    Thanks all! Ends up the seller removed the reverse lights and FILLED IN the original bumper! its still on the car! So easy fix, and no rear end hit!

This is my second 308. I have one that I bought new in '85, red/tan quattrovalvole, still have it! 40k plus miles, was my daily driver for 2 years as a young lawyer going to court! Silly me, I was renting a studio apartment in Miami beach, but driving a new Ferrari! Boy were the golddiggers disappointed when I took them to my place! hahaha.

The vetro was purely an investment. right time, right place..where else can you double your money in 5 years AND drive it at the same time? looking forward to comparing the purest form of 308 against the later quattro...I think I'll post a drag race!

7. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Congrats for the purchase and for your quite important Ferrari collection: Please post some pictures of your cars!

Ciao

8. msgsobe

msgsobe Formula 3

Aug 10, 2006
    Miami Beach/Aspen
    Full Name:
    Mark Gold
    Pics coming soon when the cars cross the pond!

9. SJP 5

SJP 5 Karting

Jun 7, 2015
    Glad to hear your vetro has not been rear ended,if you still require the reverse lights I believe Superfomance UK stock them,

10. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Congrats. You can find the solid amber tails on eBay as well.

11. msgsobe

msgsobe Formula 3

Aug 10, 2006
    Miami Beach/Aspen
    Full Name:
    Mark Gold
    thx all..cars will be here next week..pics to follow!

12. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    #12 i-velocita, Dec 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Congrats on your purchase!

I think different market vetroresinas had different rear bumper treatments. Here is a car with the reverse lights in the signal lights, not the bumper. Can anyone confirm which markets/years received which treatment?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    #13 i-velocita, Dec 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    That is a January 1976 registered Italian car. It hasn't anymore the OEM rear bumper and rear lights: It can't achieve the Classiche

Ciao

15. Furanku

Furanku Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2009
    To my knowledge, all vetroresinas had the rear back lights in the bumper except the 100 North American market cars.

16. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    To say it can't achieve Classiche is not quite correct!

In it's current configuration it would not be granted a Classiche certificate, but if the owner is determined to have the car Classiche certified and is prepared to pay the costs then I'm pretty sure Ferrari would sort out the an OEM spec bumper and rear lights (even if it means having them re-made).

17. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Yes, of course. But I was talking about actual conditions: That's not how it leaved the factory

Ciao

18. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    So the black car pictured in posting #12 is another example of an "updated" vetroresina?

19. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Yes, OF COURSE.

Ciao