Whistling sound coming from engine at > 1000 RPM ??? | FerrariChat

Whistling sound coming from engine at > 1000 RPM ???

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Dtreenjr, Nov 27, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dtreenjr

Dtreenjr Rookie

May 29, 2015
    New Orleans, LA
    Full Name:
    David C. Treen, Jr, MD
    My newly acquired 2011 Cali has developed a high pitched monotonous low volume whistling sound at RPM greater than 8k-9k. I live in New Orleans and the closest dealer is Houston or Atlanta. There is a local shop that every Ferrari owner in the region uses, and he has looked at the car and said he doesn't know what it is, but doubts that it is "serious"...???

He also said that it may be a vacuum line, but wasn't very concerned.

This is my first F car, and I would rather not ship it to Houston or Atlanta, but don't want to neglect a potentially damaging or increasingly costly repair down the line.

Anyone have experience with this kind of sound? It doesn't seem to affect the performance of the car at all.

Perplexed and concerned.

2. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Are you sure this is correct? The '11 Cali engine rev limited kicks in at 8k so you cannot rev the engine past that point. Actually, the engine would be so loud at that point, the sound you refer to has to be quite loud to be heard over the engine and exhaust.

Does the noise occur when the transmission is in PARK or NEUTRAL, or just when it is in gear?

Verbal descriptions of noises are usually not very useful because they are inherently subjective unless they come from an experienced mechanic. You should try to record the sound so people (your service shop) can hear it for themselves. You should also show the exact the location in the car from where you made the recording.

3. mike_747

mike_747 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2008
    Seattle
    I suspect he may be referring to the air pump that runs at initial start up.

4. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I suspect he means 800-900 rpm, not 8000-9000 ; )

I also hear a "whirring" sound in the cabin that occurs if you give it any gas at all during idle ... I've been told it's normal. I wouldn't really describe it as a whistle, though. It is probably there any time I am on the throttle but only audible at just above idle.

5. Dtreenjr

Dtreenjr Rookie

May 29, 2015
    New Orleans, LA
    Full Name:
    David C. Treen, Jr, MD
    Thanks to all who engaged this question.
    I mistakenly put in 8000-9000 RPM.
    I meant 800-900 (actually up to about 1100)

I will try to record the sound, I suppose I could send the recording to the dealership who performed the inspection (Algar in Philly).

The local mechanic said that he had never heard this sound from a F, and he has worked on hundreds of F over the past 30 years.

If anyone has other advice, I'm all ears...