The (one and only) '0846' Debate Thread | Page 388 | FerrariChat

The (one and only) '0846' Debate Thread

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by El Wayne, Nov 1, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I discussed this issue many years ago with Gerald Rouse. He did not believe in anonymous posts. If you didn't have the balls to put your name on it, shut up.

2. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    #9677 PAUL500, Dec 17, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
    Apparently he is no longer in Berkshire (claimed to suddenly live there after having a go at Piloti, also from that area) then recently changed that to Bratislava and Tahiti and overnight they have now moved to the states!

Funnily enough before viewing the facebook profile of the person I suspect is behind the Vincent profile, I changed my location on facebook to just that area!

Clearly they will have seen an unknown Paul had recently read up on them on facebook, taken a look at mine and now overnight "Vincent" lives in my apparent facebook neighbourhood as well....double busted.

Prove me wrong, stop hiding and show some ID in the name of Vincent, oh boy will I look foolish if you do!

3. 4za

4za Formula 3

Feb 18, 2005
    Edmonds, WA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    This is still going on? Haha

I swear I commented years ago. :p

4. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    Good point. Simply too far in it to ever give up.

For real! I come across it every couple of years or so and it's tough to catch up :D

5. Kitbash

Kitbash Karting

Dec 13, 2012
    And at the end of the day, he has one of the coolest cars around "real" or not. If it wasn't for all the MONEY a real P-car is worth, nobody would give a rat's ass. Just another reason MONEY screws up everything.

Mods should keep this thread open, and anyone adding to it should try to control themselves. It's about the cars, not the MONEY.

6. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I agree. It is a really cool car.

7. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  8. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    He certainly does. It would be a dream to own such a wonderful machine. And really at the end of they day, that is what it's all about. Always remember, things are only worth what somebody is willing to pay.

9. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    It is certainly a wonderful car and one I wish was in my garage. But it not 0846 and to continue to keep perpetrating that falsehood is a disservice to all the real cars. It is what it is, it is not what it isn't.

10. michael platzer

michael platzer F1 Veteran

Nov 12, 2003
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Michael Platzer
    #9685 michael platzer, Dec 21, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It is really a pity, that with all the 0846 bashing we lost Jim as a contributor to this forum.
    I met him twice, 2005 in sicily at the Targa Florio and 2007 at the Palm Beach Supercarweekend. He is a really nice, open minded and relaxed guy with a true passion for Ferrari.
    I had the chance to sit in 0846 - a moment i will never forget.
    Thank you Jim and if you have a look at this thread from time to time - a merry Christmas to you and your family.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. lgs

lgs Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2006
    This tread's subject is not sentimental folklore nor any bashing, but the public claim of a buyer having bought an original frame and no replica. Certainly a most beautiful creation and a most passionate buyer but that’s not the question here.

12. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I agree with you about 99% (not that you should care)

What I think is the 489 page uproar is the fact that we aren't talking about a Chevy Pick up that someone added the Z71 package at the dealer or at the factory or whatever... (perhaps a bad anology)

This is a Ferrari.

A very small percentage of the cars and brands faithful/believers/fans/obesseions have never even owned one... Yet the passion is incredibly high.

Ferrari is one of the most important makes in automotive history in racing history and arguably in History full stop.

Then we have the lovely character Enzo... and the fact that this car came from his era where he really was ruling with an iron fist and competition was at a whole new level (that he helped foster and create)

This is not just about a machine to most people. The p3/4 is not the sum of its parts... it is a legend.

Now this sounds rather dramatic... but I think it will help people understand what the hoopla is over this subject. This isn't nuts, bolts and aluminum... and a suck squish bang blow bolted to it.

Its more. This car in particular is more.

Then we have a story as wild as Enzo behind it, owned by a charismatic owner who really captured social media and has basically become a internet personality over the car... who purchased a car from a gentleman who was involved with the factory as a race car driver and who somehow was the only person in Ferrari history to be granted the rights to build "continuations" or replica of the cars and was even given factory drawing/assistance... who then sold the car in question as a replica to this charismatic owner... and suddenly claims to have an authentic car.

Its going to happen... and it won't stop until it is settled... (and probably not even then LOL)

13. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    In all 485 pages I have not seen one post bashing Jims car.

All who comment praise the vehicle he has in his possession, whatever its origins.

14. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    An aside, it takes some audacity to title any thread "The One and only Debate". Particularly over a particular serial number.

It then takes an additional dose of cowardice to run away from that same self-started thread for five months.

I would read that as a surrender of the debate.

Matt

15. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Jim did not start this thread...even though his is the first post. One of the mods (Wayne?) created it as an amalgam of several existing threads. So the title is not JG's creation.

16. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    I misunderstood the title as well as was not a member when the thread first started.

I think it is meant to identify that this is the one and only thread to debate the matter, as there had been numerous around that time, not Jim saying his is the one and only car.

17. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Correct. There were several threads and comments had spilled over into other unrelated topics. It was getting ridiculous so all threads & comments were consolidated.

18. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Anyone watched "the grand tour"? May drives an original Le Mans gt40 worth 15 million dollars, then he drives the Ferrari, never stating it's an original or a replica but claims the car is worth 20M $?

19. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Couldn't agree more. What he is presently doing is fantastic.

20. emcauto

emcauto Karting

Jul 1, 2009

How do you know it was the bashing that made him stop contributing.

21. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Thank you for the clarification.

Matt

22. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    #9697 technom3, Dec 26, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
    Everyone says his car is awesome. People haven't said one thing about the quality of the car. That its a cheap replica etc... (which is exactly as he purchased it... a replica so that wouldn't even bother him)

I imagine Jim as a very intelgent person. Anyone who makes the claim of his car which was sold and known to the public as a replica and turning it into one of the most famous race cars... is expecting some ridicule.

As far as what he is presently doing vs the past... some people run from there past...

From what I know and have experienced... he may not be one to enjoy the engagement of debate where people freely exchange ideas.

23. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I don't like Jim Glickenhaus. However, this car is a work of art. Back in the day, the Rickman Brothers called their motorcycles Metisse, which is French for mongrel or bastard. But while this car is a bastard, no expense was spared in building the car. If I was the kind of person who routinely threw away seven figures buying old cars, which I'm not, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

24. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    A very minor point: I wouldn't translate the french "Metisse" by "mongrel" or "bastard". There is nothing derogatory in the french "métisse", so I think it would be (to me...) "mixed race" or "crossbreed".
    The french equivalent word for "bastard" is really, really offensive; "metisse" is not.

Rgds

25. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

Now you have me curious (but not yellow). What is this magic word? I'll use it the next time I form a company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk