Viva Mexico - bringing #854 back to life | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Viva Mexico - bringing #854 back to life

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by lbird, Aug 3, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    I can't tell you what's correct, but with all that silver and chrome there already, gold would make for a nice accent and contrast. Besides, Maserati was infamous for using whatever part happened to be on the shelf at the time when assembling cars ;-)

Lovely restoration job you're doing, I'm enjoying following your progress. Kind of wish I had bought one myself before the prices skyrocketed!

2. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Yes, gold seems to be the right colour to have a nice contrast up front. Gold it will be then :)

3. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Thank you for posting these. I will adopt the golden colour for my trident, my washer jets look a little bit different, but according to my series 2 reference pictures they are in fact different. Thank you for your help!

4. bj69

bj69 Karting

Mar 4, 2009
    You can buy these new. They were used on other italian cars (fiat/alfa, can't remember). I would need to dig into my email archives to find the shop where i saw them. Let me know if you can't find these.

5. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Found them already, thank you!

6. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    #182 lbird, Dec 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    We are still in the process of puzzling the doors and side windows back together. It is very time consuming to get everything right, especially if you have no pictures of the "before disassembly" stage.
    One important question remains: One of the outer chrome strips covering the upper part of the door where the windows begin is missing (see red marked part on the silver Series II Mexico used for reference purposes). They are (of course) completely different from the series I parts. I aquired the part for the passenger door from a friend in Vienna (thank you Bernhard), but i still need the same part for the left hand side door.
    Does somebody have this part available or knows where it can be obtained? Otherwise i would have to have the part remanufactured, which i try to avoid...
    Like always: Any help is appreciated. Last christmas Santa brought me a matching fuel tank, looking forward to this year :)
    Happy holiday time to everybody!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. bj69

bj69 Karting

Mar 4, 2009
    Hi,
    I should have the Series 1 parts. Never knew they were different from Series 2. No use then looking at making these fit?
    good luck
    bart

8. bj69

bj69 Karting

Mar 4, 2009
    Could someone please make a photo of the cover plate that conducts airflow into the radiator on a Mexico? Both myself and a friend are looking to remanufacture a correct version.

Including the measurements would be highly appreciated!
    thanks
    Bart (also on behalf of Rainer T.)

9. The Surveyor

The Surveyor Karting

Nov 11, 2015
    Newcastle, England
    Full Name:
    Paul Spensley
    I made my own just to fit my car, relatively straight forward but there is one for sale on eBay if you need one:-

Maserati Mexico radiator filler plate | eBay

10. bj69

bj69 Karting

Mar 4, 2009
    Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply. I need to up my game on ebay considerably, because this morning Dirk beat me to it and bought the one on ebay after reading your post. Luckily he's offering to ship it out once he receives it. So problem solved.

Bart

11. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    I think we can manufacture a couple. I will need it too.... :)

12. The Surveyor

The Surveyor Karting

Nov 11, 2015
    Newcastle, England
    Full Name:
    Paul Spensley
    #188 The Surveyor, Dec 13, 2016
    This is mine. Home made from alluminium sheet, folded over a work-bench edge, pop-rivets, satin-black paint and an old chrome trident badge. Fits a treat.

13. The Surveyor

The Surveyor Karting

Nov 11, 2015
    Newcastle, England
    Full Name:
    Paul Spensley
    #189 The Surveyor, Dec 17, 2016
    Just taken delivery of my front end chrome work which wasn't looking too great before. Sorted out those painted non-standard headlight surrounds and the rest of the trim now looks amazing. With a new bonnet badge it will look perfect again.

14. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Looks the part - i have to do my chrome now too. I am just waiting for my numberplate frame, which is still somewhere between Italy and Germany in a delivery van.
    But i still need to find a company in Germany which does a good job and has not a waiting line a mile long....

15. The Surveyor

The Surveyor Karting

Nov 11, 2015
    Newcastle, England
    Full Name:
    Paul Spensley
    This lot was done by Douglas Metal Finishing Limited, of Lewisham near London. £600 including uk VAT. Best Chrome Plating London | Chrome Platers & Chrome Restoration with a 6 week turnaround. Pleased with the results and will do overseas postage if you get stuck.

16. Lemacc

Lemacc Formula 3
    BANNED

Mar 16, 2008
    Germany
  17. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Thank you for the hints guys, will check them out. I am still looking around in my area and i may have found somebody who knows his job - it is always better if you can talk with the people face to face to discuss the finer details......

18. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    #194 lbird, Dec 19, 2016
  19. Lemacc

Lemacc Formula 3
    BANNED

Mar 16, 2008
    Germany
    Good result!! How do you cleaned the engine block? Soda blasting?

20. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    It was a combination of an ultrasonic bath, soda blasting and (don't laugh) some nutshell blasting. Its christmas time, so nothing without (going) nuts..... :)

21. contadino

contadino Karting

Oct 18, 2016
    ITALY
    Hello,
    great engine, I have the engine AM 107*2222*

Best
    regards

22. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    #198 lbird, Jan 24, 2017
    Hello again from the Mexico restoration front, after a rather quiet christmas time we start to gain some speed again. The first weeks of 2017 were filled with organizing lots of little things like getting new carburettor flange gaskets, getting the clutch for the engine right etc.
    Finally the numberplate frame arrived which i bought from Campana through a friend. Some head scratching started when we held that frame against my trunk lid: I did not expect a perfect match, but this looks way off. Is there a big difference between the shape of series I or II trunks or do i simply have the wrong frame? Hows does that normally fit? Can you help me with pictures of your frames or any advice? I think i must have missed something important here.....

23. The Surveyor

The Surveyor Karting

Nov 11, 2015
    Newcastle, England
    Full Name:
    Paul Spensley
    Your surround looks just the same as mine.

I think ey are a standard surround as I've seen the same on early Lancia and Alfa Romeos, and your right that the fit is awful. On mine I used some plastic spacers to hold the surround on its lower edge but it still doesn't 'feel' right.

I'll try and get a picture.

Paul

24. The Surveyor

The Surveyor Karting

Nov 11, 2015
    Newcastle, England
    Full Name:
    Paul Spensley
    #200 The Surveyor, Jan 25, 2017
    Here is the surround in-situ and you'll see that it is stepped off the paintwork by spacers on the fixings. I used a threaded bar screwed into the back of the plate then domes stainless bolts on the inside of the boot (trunk).

And yes, somebody in the past has closed the lid a little too hard and cracked the plate surround....