Ceramic Pro coating | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Ceramic Pro coating

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Renman57, May 29, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    four months later and no visible differences when clean or dirty

2. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    How do you wash it?

SV

3. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  4. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
  5. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    ttforcefed - Yes, I see that you are conducting a comparison and they both seem to be wearing equally. I do wonder what the downside is to the ceramics besides the relative cost. My concern is any long term effect on the paint like the way petroleum-based waxes bleach the paint over a decade or so of use. That's why I have not done it on my F12.

As far as the Zymol experience, it was sort of expensive and very time consuming to apply but my black 540i at the time was both a queen and a DD so it was a lot of work to keep it in new condition. With the Zymol, you had to do only a quarter of a panel or so at a time to get it just right. Sometimes even having to heat it a bit with a hair dryer to sort of 're-flow' the wax to get it to buff perfectly. If you were doing the three-step it would take all weekend especially if you included the wheels!

6. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I don't wash or detail my own cars anymore.

7. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith

So you don't take care of them at all or don't know how they are being taken care of??

The results you've seen to date are that there is no difference side to side but they have no swirls or they do have swirls but they are the same, side to side?

SV

8. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I don't take care of them at all. I have a few guys who help me take care of all the cars. they are all capable. no swirls so far.

9. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Sorry for the detailed questions (so to speak)...

Are you sure your crew isn't polishing out any swirls rather than not doing anything at all?

In 4 months you haven't seen any degradation at all which seems suspicious on its own. With wax vs ceramic it seems your care is achieving perfect performance which seems dubious even if welcome!

Would be interested to hear others experience as well...

I just had cquartz put on an Aston and it looks terrific but no time on it yet...

SV

10. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    definitely no polishing. at the 6 month mark the car will go back to AI in tuckahoe who did the detailing and i will report back.

pretty funny you call the one person on the board who has actually spent the money side by side dubious. Come take a look at at my FF - it looks like crap after 2 years. Im sure the RR will also, and the half that has the ceramic wont be materially better than the carnuba side.

11. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith

Not calling you anything. Trying to clarify with details.

Your experience certainly suggests that correcting the paint and adding a high quality clear bra may be the best bet for preserving a pristine look. Not rely on the coatings except for something minimal.

On the other hand there is considerable experience on the other side with regard to the improvements in these coatings. The disparity in those positions has to generate a level of skepticism. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, no? I'm trying to understand the level of maintenance and techniques you employ...

Happy Holidays!

SV

12. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    my carnuba details costs me as much as the ceramic so cost isn't why I dislike the ceramics. on my tdf I will wrap the whole thing and be done with it. On all existing cars I will continue to use what has worked for 20 years. also my carnuba details cost me as much as the ceramic - I'm happy to pay for skill/effort. anyhow I'm happy to be proven wrong at the 6 and 12 month marks, but I still won't ever use a ceramic on something like my f40

13. Turbotuner20v

Turbotuner20v Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2014
    I have ceramic pro on my f430 and it has made a huge difference vs my previous cars. I had it done ~7 months ago and if I slid my finger across the paint right now it feels unbelievably slick. It's been much easier to maintain with spray washes and quick details too.

Perhaps the ceramic pro is best utilized by folks who don't have a detail team take care of their cars. Or those who don't have hours to dedicate to a diy car wash/detail.

timjen88 likes this.
  14. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    I have ceramic pro on my Audi and I love it.
    It was first applied a year and a half ago. At the one year point I brought it back for its re-application and it still looked amazing.
    I'm a big fan and I feel it's a great product and with the money.
    My car almost never looks dirty and when it is I simply hit it with a high pressure hose or bucket wash it when it's really needed.
    They did the exterior, wheels, glass and interior. I get comments all of the time that my car looks new and sparkly. My wheels never look dirty. No dust.
    I just bought a new 5 series and it's getting the same treatment.

Bottom line is wax / paint treatment is like ice cream. Everyone likes a different flavor. After a year and a half with ceramic pro, I am very pleased.

15. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    I have a ceramic coating on all our cars. Love it!

16. Envious Eric

Envious Eric Karting

Sep 21, 2009
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Coatings are going to HELP prevent light scratches, marring, etc. Its the environmental protection agent.

clear bra is the impact protection.

Coatings are bar non leaps and bounds better protection for your car. The glass layer provides an inorganic protection sheet that will not fade or crack or blemish when applied properly.

There are definitely differences in the coatings on the market, some are just relabeled products from the same manufacture, and there are some stand alone companies who will not OEM for anyone else. For the most part, there are only a couple that really stand out. We have tried the majority of the ones on the market (maybe not the relabeled ones, no need) and have found some that perform, and some that do not.

Different applications call for a different coating...daily driven, weekend car, show stopper, hand washed, car wash washed, etc. Its best to discuss proper care with your installer of choice. Keep in mind, there are a few factors that go into choosing coating/installer

17. Stspirer91

Stspirer91 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    Ceramic pro works amazing. We install it at my shop, we've tried various coatings and found ceramic pro to hold up the best and provide a great wet looking finish.

18. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    leedar likes this.
  19. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    so is modesta no longer a darling child?

20. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    what are you saying... you only applied ceramic to only half of the car? :)

21. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    See post 57 in this thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    My bad... there is something to be said for reading all the material vs some of it after all.

23. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    nah if you read everything you wld wanna shoot yourself for real!
    see you at the scarsdale concours?

24. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Yes , Oct 7 I believe, if you bring one of the cars w the different detailing I am curious to see in person , i just can't seem to get the glass like look I've seen on other cars. Always thought that was ceramic coating.

25. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Easy - clay, 3m imperial hand glaze and then zymol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk