What did you do to your Mondial today? | FerrariChat

What did you do to your Mondial today?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by ddenboer, Dec 26, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ddenboer

ddenboer Karting

Sep 11, 2015
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    David denBoer
    The 308 forum has a topic like this, and though I tried, could not find one here.

So today, I finally replaced my non-starting battery with a new red-top battery. I went through the front wheel well, and while in there also removed the final remnants if the previous owners immobilizer/alarm.

After everything started beautifully, she needed to go for a spirited drive. So off to the Santa Cruz mountains we went. Sunny day today with temps in the mid 50's. This car really loves cooler temps.

Tomorrow I have other fun things planned. What did you do or are you going to do?

And because a picture is worth 1000 words:
    [​IMG]

2. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Replaced the faulty bi-metal temperature switch for the air conditioning condenser fan. Made a new switch out of a simple bi-metal switch I bought off Ebay. Wired it up, built up the sides with a bit of high temp silicone and secured it with a nice clamp. It works great, and I saved paying the Ferrari tax on the part by fabricating my own.

These are the switches, they worked great and I have a few extra if anyone needs one, shoot me a PM with your address:
    5pcs KSD301 Thermostat Normally Closed NC Temperature Thermal Control Switch | eBay

I also installed a new oxygen sensor while I had her on the Maxjax lift.

I consider O2 sensors to be maintenance items that should be changed periodically.

Also bought the exact OEM replacement Bosch O2 sensor on Ebay, about $57, shipped:
    Bosch Premium Oxygen Sensor 13957 | eBay
    Alden

3. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    Not today,

But I got my state inspection done yesterday.

State of Texas, required yearly safety inspection for only $7

If I was to get Antique plates, there would be no required annual inspection at all.
    However, I have custom plates, so I can't get the antique.

Still the annual inspection is only safety items (brakes, horn, lights, etc.), and is quick, cheap and easy.

Sid

paulchua likes this.
  4. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Took off the parking brake lever to clean and inspect, it was slipping on a tooth. Some slight wear on various pivots, but with even slight wear the internal lever was not grabbing the ratchet teeth fully, things had twisted a bit so with a hammer and vise grip banged it and clamped it into alignment. Wish I had lubed this earlier and prevented the wear in the first instance. Question, should I put grease on the ratchet teeth, or is it best dry so that it grips? Kind of makes me think of syncros where too much slip on something meant to grip is not always best? I think greasing this makes sense, but thought I would see what views there are.

5. ddenboer

ddenboer Karting

Sep 11, 2015
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    David denBoer
    @moysiuan I worked on the same thing today, only mine wasn't engaging at all. It's a bit of a pain to get to, and put back together again (someone previously forgot some screws for interior bits). I got it working again, but it failed after the first time (same as when my mechanic fixed it earlier this year).
    Tomorrow it will get a good cleaning and another fun run before getting put away for the rainy weekend.

6. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I looked at my car for the first time in several months. Pulled back the cover. Removed the carpet kit that was on roof and put it on top of another car and hooked up a battery charger. I hope to fire it up and finish putting it back together soon.

7. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    It will be 80 degrees here in the North Texas area today.

Another chance to take her out for a little exercise.

Sid

8. ATLdoghouse

ATLdoghouse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2016
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Cody L
    Drove her to and from work, the long way round each way. Oh, and been doing that for the past month, makes work not seem like a four letter word.

9. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    Drove mine also. That's what I bought it for.

10. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    Drove mine for the 3rd time (including the first time driving it home from FoD).

Yesterday, I "made" a 360/430 key for my car, turned out ok, but I learned a few things for next time.

Tomorrow I'm buying a few parts for long term repair.

James in Denver

11. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    #11 Alden, Dec 29, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Like this? I made one too.
    Alden
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    Did you try to use the folding key by chance?

13. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    I have the two original folding keys that came with my car. I have them put away so they don't get damaged or broken, I don't use them.
    Alden

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

14. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    Yep, mine is exactly like that :)

Dang key that came installed is held in with a plastic "pin" (basically, plastic thru a hole in the metal key part) so when I dremelled out the old key, I messed up the plastic because I didn't know about the pin.

I did the same thing with an "enzo" key for my 308 6 years ago, but looking at ebay auctions, maybe I shouldn't have... LOL

I only got 1 folding key and 1 door key with my car, but I did get an ORIGINAL key fob from Ferrari, it has the badge on one side and says "Mondial 3.2" on the other!!! :)

Makes up for the fact that I have to source a few other original things for the car... :(

James in Denver

15. Lino

Lino Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    #15 Lino, Dec 29, 2016
  16. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    No dremel needed. Remove the pin, then the heat the metal part of the key blank until it slides free, then heat the new cut Mondial key, after cutting it to the correct dimensions and slide it in place. Drill out the hole for the pin and install it.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

17. MaseratiMike

MaseratiMike Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I did nothing, just looked at my Mondial in the garage next to my other cars....

18. ddenboer

ddenboer Karting

Sep 11, 2015
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    David denBoer
    Cleaned inside and out today. Was a great day but my 94 Alfa Spider needed some love (and a new battery) today.

19. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I also got the folding keys. Two sets. All I have used for 7 years and 25k
    Miles. I'm
    Sure I'll
    Cry here one day when one breaks. I don't provide them any special care. They just go in my pocket like any other keys. Just as a data point. Yesterday I installed rear belly pan rear grill
    Cat under cover. Wheel arches. Retightened one coolant line. Changed oil and took for a drive. It doesn't feel to be running 100% and I suspect a spark plug lead. That will be for another day

20. ATLdoghouse

ATLdoghouse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2016
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Cody L
    New set of tires, balance and alignment today. She likes her new shoes :)

21. Roward7

Roward7 Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #21 Roward7, Jan 7, 2017
    MvT likes this.
  22. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Wow, looks like a very well prepped car, as they say with paint it is all about the prep, so you are nailing it! What colour will you make it?

23. Roward7

Roward7 Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #23 Roward7, Jan 7, 2017
    Hi Andy, yes she is getting the royal treatment she deserves, if a job to be done do it the best you can I say, they deserve to be looked after, truly a great car.. :)

My girl was originally Rossa Corsa but i purchased her with a dark blue overcoat (as per below pic) Also attached another pic of how she is at the moment...
    I am taking her to her new colour of:- Blue Sera as I really like them in blue :)

24. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Indeed, my Mondial is an original rosso corsa, but I actually think these cars look best in a blue. Good luck on the project.

25. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Rob, how difficult it whas to remove the 8 screws (Fer nr.60127206) that holds 1 door ? I see they left the mobile door hinge in place.

Guido