Official 328 GTB/GTS Market Thread | Page 61 | FerrariChat

Official 328 GTB/GTS Market Thread

Discussion in '308/328' started by buckminster, Jul 1, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Okay, relisted. No reserve previously... but there is now.

1988 Ferrari 328 GTS | eBay

2. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    #1502 furmano, Dec 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    That Canadian car has run across the block many times unsold. Nobody in Canada is going to buy it in the middle of winter. And nobody in the USA is going to pay the BIN price for a Canadian car with all of the associated border hassles. My prediction is that if it sells, it will sell for under $50K. And my guess is that it's due for a major.

4. Cauf61

Cauf61 Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2016
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Sadly to young to buy and import to Europe.
    Must be 30 years old or you pay a lot of taxes.

5. drbruno

drbruno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2014
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Dr. Bruno L. Venditt
    Given that the car is over 25 years old, is it not a simple task to bring over into the US?

6. pj911

pj911 Karting

Jun 10, 2005
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    PJ
    Yes, 25 years meets EPA and DOT exemptions. Besides...being a previous US vehicle means it already has EPA and DOT certifications, so it would not even need to meet the age exemption. Also, being a previous US vehicle means there is no import duty. Bringing this car over would be simple.

7. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    In theory you are right. Be prepared to deal with overzealous USCBP though. Been there done that. "Where's the manufacturer's letter"? "Where's the proof of original export". "Has the engine or emissions system been modified?" "I am sorry sir you will have to leave the car with us while you find the necessary documents"

8. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    One's worst nightmare!

9. Falcon

Falcon Formula 3

Aug 19, 2008
    New England Region
    Full Name:
    Falcon
    Was the scenario you describe for a vehicle over 25 years old?

10. pj911

pj911 Karting

Jun 10, 2005
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    PJ
    I imported a 78 308gts from Toronto, so yes it met the 25 year exemption. It was an original Canadian car so I did have to pay duty (had it originated from the US there would be no duty). I personally trailered the car and it was a very simple process. Was probably at the border for 30 minutes to pay duty and show paperwork...and then on my way. I think I've had more trouble bringing in a couple cases of beer!

11. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
  12. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #1512 Wade, Dec 25, 2016
    Not too hard, one just needs to ask. My Canadian 348 was imported this year. :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    However, bringing back a US spec car would be so easy. The VIN is the key.

14. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    FNA charges several hundred $ for that letter. Regardless of the letter, you have to pay gas guzzler tax on top of import duty on top of any customs broker fees on top of transportation charges (you can't drive it across the border without first paying Canadian sales tax and registration). And then you have to get the speedo changed to MPH and the odo to miles (this has to be done before it crosses the border). So unless you absolutely have to have that particular car you can save yourself a lot of hassle and expense by buying a US car preferably already in the USA>

Bottom line, the government pervades every aspect of our lives and then sends us the bill for their work.

15. ricmat

ricmat Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Ricardo

Oh don't you worry! Exactly the same here in Europe or even worse - as some EU members have their own rules and pay extra tax on top of those taxes.. for certain countries, for a 328 it can go as high as $50k in duties and taxes of imported from outside EU... outrageous..

And people want further duties.. why can't we just have an open market overall and let her free market speak for itself??

16. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #1516 Wade, Dec 29, 2016
    If there's a will... and if it's the car you want. :)

Mine still has it's kilometer speedo and it's FL registration is in kilometers as well.

Plus I have documents for DHS/US Customs (entry summary), DOT (checked for 2B) and EPA (checked for code E).

17. BLUROAD

BLUROAD F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2006
    Tustin Ranch, Cali
    Full Name:
    Enrico Pollini
    So what is a not so perfect 328 worth today. Say your average mid mileage over 50k 86-88 with a needed service or other issues... I ask cause I would be in the market for the right car...

18. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    $65k, or so?

19. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    You have to differentiate between a GTB and a GTS. The Berlinettas have pulled away dramatically and while askings may be overenthusiastic, they do bring a significant premium. GTS on the other hand not so much, there are plenty around. Many sellers think their car has gone up commensurately but the reality is GTS cars over $60K sit on the market for a long time. Particularly those in Canada. Find a good car that has not been moving due to an inflated asking, bid conservatively, and if the seller is really motivated you may be surprised.

20. furmano

Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    #1520 furmano, Jan 16, 2017
  21. LostAussie

LostAussie Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2013
    Woodinville, WA
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    That car has got... things... in front of each headlight. Headlamp washers?

22. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    Yes, as all 328 sold in Sweden at that time

23. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    As said by Bertrand, Sweden got Swiss-market version of the car (VIN starts by ZFFCA19S. .) but with two Small outlets for headlight washers in front of each headlight pod peculiar to Sweden alone.
    Rgds

24. furmano

Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Thanks Nero,

What Euro version has the least amount of smog equipment and crash protection (highest HP, lightest weight)?

Italian version?

-F

25. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    The "standard continental Europe" version was the same all over Europe, even in the UK except RHD There of course. Thèse cars have their VIN spelled ZFFWA19B0000xxxxx for GTBs (ZFFWA20B0000xxxxx for GTSs). UK cars ZFFWA19C0000xxxxx.
    The "W" in fourth position meaning "non cat engine".
    Starting mid-1987, a catalysator variant appeared for Switzerland and Sweden, ("C" in fourth position, 255 hp vs 270hp for non-cat "standard euros").
    If You did not order Air Conditioning, which was an option, your car was about 30 lbs lighter...
    Rgds