Phone mount for California? | FerrariChat

Phone mount for California?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Jcm91ca, Dec 17, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jcm91ca

Jcm91ca Rookie

Jan 16, 2016
    Does anyone have recommendations on a good car phone mount for the Ferrari California? Where do you put it?

2. kevinof

kevinof Rookie

Jul 26, 2015
    I just use a suction mount on the window. I tried the apple carplay using a cable but it's not good.

3. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    #3 photonut, Dec 20, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Andrew Pour likes this.
  4. karachy

karachy Rookie

Mar 6, 2016
    Perhaps the Spider Podium can be of use to you?
    [​IMG]

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Phones used in Californias in California are illegal now. :)

Ferrari should change the name to Montana.

6. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Frankly, I'm not sure why the OP needs to mount his phone, assuming he has a pretty up-to-date iOS or Android smartphone.

I just place my iPhone on the cubby below the console bridge that runs over the transmission tunnel. There's no need to touch my phone when receiving a call and I use voice recognition to "CALL" parties on my address book by speaking into the microphone. I take calls regularly and have made hands-free calls from my car without problems. I also find it easy to carry on conversations with the roof down but I do keep the windows up.

I would not bother mounting a phone in the California. Mounting a phone is way passé these days. It will only make things more complicated and it's also against the law in most jurisdictions to play with your phone while driving - you must use hands-free phone interactions or pull over. Forget texting while driving. Just ignore the text messages. If it's important they can call you.

Enjoy the driving instead. ;)

7. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    WAZE is why I need to see my phone when driving. One of a few apps I'd pay for.
    Wouldn't drive with out it.

BruceC, otakki and w0rtw0rt like this.
  8. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    Yes, I mount my phone only because of Waze. Otherwise I can keep it in my pocket or anywhere charging.

otakki likes this.
  9. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yes I agree, if you do a lot of (sat) navigating in your Cali, especially in urban settings, it would make sense to use WAZE and try to mount your iPhone in some convenient fashion. Even better if you have the iPhone 6/7 Plus or perhaps an iPad Mini.

However, I generally do not drive my Cali in urban settings unless I know the destination (hence the route) very well. Nearly all my driving in on country roads where I can enjoy the car's charms much better. For those drives, the OE sat nav is adequate as traffic is light and the roads have very few intersections.

FWIW, I've tried many times to get information on Ferrari's sat nav upgrades for my car but I have only found the dealer and the factory's behaviour bizarre if not outright irritating.

I have on multiple occasions, received emails from the factory and my dealer enticing me to contact them for an upgrade to my sat nav. However when I respond to them I get no replies at all. When I call my dealer to force the issue, they tell me they are working on it but I never receive any followups on the matter.

So WTF!? :confused: :mad:

10. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Phone mount? Your lap is best. Or the passenger seat. Why do you need a phone mount is what I'm trying to ask..

11. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    New California (state) law that requires mobile phones to be mounted to dash or windshield - not hand-held. I don't think putting them in cup holder or on passenger seat cuts it anymore.

New California cell phone laws in 2017 | KRON4.com

I just ordered a few to try - Kenu Airframe+, WizGear Universal and WizGear Universal Twist-lock. Hoping one of these works in the round vents of my Cali....and the others will go into other cars with more standard vents.

12. benkc

benkc Rookie

Jul 3, 2005
    Tucson
    Full Name:
    Ronald A. Bernstein,
    Cigar lighter mount really works well. Inexpensive and stiff enough to allow charging and positioning to tap. Most mounts have accessory USB and lighter ports as well. Previous cup holder mount was wobbly.

13. benkc

benkc Rookie

Jul 3, 2005
    Tucson
    Full Name:
    Ronald A. Bernstein,
  14. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I just got the Kenu Airframe+. It mounts onto the vent - pushes on. It isn't perfect, but it held my phone and made it easy to use with swipes and to see. I drove 90 miles with it yesterday and today and all was well. The reason I say it isn't perfect is that the vent you attach it to will be aimed down from the weight of the phone, and it jiggles a little on bumps. But I'm satisfied enough that I'll keep it and use it.

15. Jcm91ca

Jcm91ca Rookie

Jan 16, 2016
  16. BPPilot

BPPilot Rookie

Feb 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Brad Pierce
    I've installed a wireless charging pad in my Ferrari and it works PERFECTLY! I bought this unit (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D2CWBS1) from Amazon, along with a short cable (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074C46Q56) and a high speed USB charger (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XJTT9WG) - the result is a flush mount wireless charging pad that sits perfectly in the center well, in line with driver eyesight so you can see it if you're using maps, but tucked out of the way. I did need to add some small white spacers like those used for leveling table wedges to the underside to raise it up some. Excellent investment of about $50 in total and now have full wireless phone charging in my California.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

tomc likes this.
  17. robmike

robmike Rookie

Mar 22, 2011
    Does anyone have an updated recommendation for a phone mount? The prongs on one I currently use are too short to attach securely to the air vent.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

jcavalie likes this.
  18. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Last year I switched to this one from Cailin: (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QQTFSPX). It works pretty well and fits into the round vents. It maybe looks a little clunky with how it holds my iPhone, but it works both horizontal and vertical and is solid. Vent also still passes air. You squeeze two sides together to slide it in, then it expands to friction fit in place. Overall I’m pretty happy with this one.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. robmike

robmike Rookie

Mar 22, 2011
    It was delivered today and is exactly what I was looking for (until I replace the infotainment system). Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

jcavalie likes this.
  20. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    are those magnets that keep the phone secure?

21. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    No magnets. Those “buttons” just hold the edge of the phone against the backing. Edges of phone fit under them.

22. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Glad to help!

23. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    cool, just ordered one. maybe theyll make a magnet one!

24. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I wish. All my other cars have magnetic mounts. I tried to find one like this that was magnetic, but couldn’t find one. I also tried to convert this one, but the pieces didn’t fit together with my magnetic ones.

With iPhones now having MagSafe in the phone, the script is flipped anyways - next phone I’ll need the metal plate in the car as the magnets will be phone side.

25. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    yeh so tough to find the perfect mount...