Ferrari 456 cars for sale | Page 15 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 456 cars for sale

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by toggie, Oct 10, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    No idea how someone can afford those taxes. 3% sales tax here, no VAT, no taxes in some states, and annual fees here (New Mexico) are $27-$62/year.

2. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Hi,

Without trying to get political at all, I can say it's a different system.
    We wonder how anyone can afford the healthcare, or college and universities in the US.
    (All of that is "free" = paid for by the government over here, as are the roads, ferries, public transport is heavily subsidised etc.)

Our VAT is 24%, I believe Denmark and Sweden have 25%. We've had car taxes that have been progressive up to 150-180% of the value of the car itself. Now it's changed a lot but is mostly based on CO2 emissions, which is not great for any big naturally aspirated V8 or V12 engines. But historic vehicles are mostly excempt. So I am not complaining. But it does change the whole scene and in some ways explains who some nuts (like me) crave for the cars we could not have over here in the past.

The 456 GT was hugely expensive, and not as flashy as a Diablo, and taxes were humongous as well, so no cars were sold when they were new. AFAIK no Testarossas either, the Ferraris of the time that were sold in small numbers over here were the 355's and later 360's. Two (brothers) that became IT-millionaires bought Diablo roadsters and immediately made the headlines. Not all feedback was positive, although I did take my hat off for those guys for having the balls to do what they wanted.

Cheers,

Pekka T.
    Fin.

3. contadino

contadino Karting

Oct 18, 2016
    ITALY
    Hi Pekka,
    ... even more bad than Italy ...
    Good Luck!

4. riccardone

riccardone Karting

May 24, 2015
    Wow. So people get taxed on their income, then get taxed again in size at purchase, then get taxed ferociously at registration, AND people still give them a hard time for spending their money whichever way they like!?! Wtf!!!

5. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Well, there's no free lunch. if you don't have to pay over $9000/year/employee for their medical insurance, (as I do)--or for your own health insurance--you have a lot of money left over to pay taxes. :D

(Oregon has no sales tax at all).

6. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    #356 Fennicus, Jan 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    Yes, it's not right and it's not fair. But it's more a question of a different culture. Where in places like South Beach, Miami or Hollywood, LA it's ok to show off, especially in the mid-90's when many people over here lost their businesses and homes due to the economy and national currency devaluation (mostly political) it was not an easy situation, and some young IT nerds quickly getting rich thanks to the over-valued new companies in the IT-bubble did get many people annoyed. I'm not saying that was ok either, but yes, we could and should have a more relaxed atmosphere and could use more the "good for you" attitude instead of the "nobody should have it better than me" attitude we see so often. Unfortunately envy is an endless resource over here. It does make the car hobby more difficult too, as there is some vandalism too. :(

But there are some really nice and knowledgable car guys too, rally and F1 drivers/pilots, mechanics etc. and nice roads with minimal traffic, so it's not all bad either. ;)

Now it's changing also with new cars, as if a car is leased and not sold for the total value, the taxes only apply for the time and value of the lease period. I think there's something similar going on in Denmark. But I would like to see the taxes collected for over ten year old used cars within the EU disappear.

But then there would probably again be a yearly tax based on the CO2 emissions...

George Harrison wrote a song about this in the 60's, he was a car guy too! :D

Cheers,

Pekka T.
    Fin.

7. vitajojo38

vitajojo38 Karting

Oct 17, 2009
    France
    Full Name:
    Joël
    For sure, compared to number of people living in Finland, you have the highest percentage or top pilots, in F1 or rallye ;)

8. Shopcat

Shopcat Karting

Nov 14, 2015
    NLA
    That must be some amazing insurance! Our employee cost is less than half that.

9. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Free stuff costs a lot, no? Somebody has to pay because there is no free lunch, education, roads, public transportation, health care, vacation time, or pension. Too much free stuff and a nation goes broke.

10. TheDevil

TheDevil Karting

Jul 14, 2014
  11. No Quarter

No Quarter Rookie

Dec 29, 2016
    Thanks a lot

I'm now dealing with local Ferrari dealer, and they're trying to convince me that the "M" is so much more trouble free, several weak points corrected. Any views? I'm not partial, except I thought the 5 instruments on a line is cool

What the main differences in the "M", and are they major or minor issues? This has probably been beaten to death, if so I'm sorry, but it's all new to me...

12. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    The simplest way to answer your question is the difference between the GTs and the Ms
    Ms have there own issues like Valve Guide lottery. any oil usage walk away or knock 10K of the price and don't believe the BS of they use oil they don't.

Other than that minor detail:

Main differences are interior, Hood, different engine management and timing, the M has OBDII diagnostics all be it very Ferrari esk.
    Better engine cooling

Brakes use different system and M's have Brembos calipers = Vastly cheaper pads.

No movable rear spoiler .

Different suspension modes, the GT is more analogue, the M is best description is its Digital= Varies with speed.

Window regulators have the latter pivots + dont need replacing (I hope)

Im sure Ive missed something, Terry?

13. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Graeme- The 456s and 456Ms have exactly the same valve guides and the same wear problem if you get a bad set. The supplier also caused problems with the F355, apparently, until late F355s went to sintered steel valve guides. The V12s never went to the sintered steel guides until 575M production.

14. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
  15. craiglurey

craiglurey Rookie

Aug 25, 2016
    El Dorado Hills, CA
    I'm selling or trading my 2000 456M GTA, Black on tan 26k miles. PM me or text 916-521-6781 if interested. $60k obo. Located in Sacramento, California.[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. puckybadger

puckybadger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 12, 2016
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    A great value from what I see.

17. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Terry Thanks for the clarification, however I am yet to hear of an early GT with the problem.

18. Merlin Auto Group

Merlin Auto Group Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 18, 2016
    Atlanta
    Indeed. We bought it from a local dealer, where the car was traded in. It's been maintained over the last few years by Ron Reineke, i.e. Sports Car Service, here in Atlanta. Lucky find for us. It's not everyday we get called on a nice example 456. It came with good service records from years back as well.

- Meagan

19. No Quarter

No Quarter Rookie

Dec 29, 2016
    Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but looking at prices in e.g. Germany for 456s, the early 612s are at the same level. Does anybody know how they compare to live with? Besides the obvious: Newer, bigger, faster? Personally I find the 456 better looking, but the 612 looks great as well...

20. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Sure do.
    The 612 is a leap forward in technology. It handles better, accelerates smoother, better fit and finish, better electronics. Some have said the 612 is more reliable, I would tend to agree with that as I have spent much more on my 456 than my 612 (primarily due to age of things like suspension and interior.) That said, when my steering rack leaked on my 612 it was $10k.

The 456 is a bit of a throwback, a truly great analog driving experience (mine is a manual.) The 612 is a more refined driver. Both are large and heavy and you feel it in spirited driving. The 612 feels much more planted to me. The 612 accelerates smoothly throughout it's range, the 456 comes alive at higher RPMs so it takes a little more effort to drive the 456 sportier.
    I enjoy them both, but they feel like they're from different eras.

21. timtalbert17@gmail.com

Jan 8, 2015
    Looking for a 456 6 speed manual any year, any condition. Had a 1995, but the catalytic converters burned up and totalled the car. Might be interested in a 612 with 6 speed manual. Anybody know of one available?

22. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    My 456 is available.
    I hope I don't regret it.

23. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    Sent you an email.

24. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    If your like me there is always a valid reason to sell but its after their gone you appreciate them more

25. timtalbert17@gmail.com

Jan 8, 2015
    CLS,
    Can you give me more information about your 456? Would love to see some pix if you can send them. Send me an email.
    Tim