charging 458 AGM battery in extremely cold temperatures | FerrariChat

charging 458 AGM battery in extremely cold temperatures

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by spiders, Dec 26, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spiders

spiders Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2012
    About 4 weeks ago I stopped driving my 458 for the winter and put it on the Ferrari battery tender. This evening I went out to my garage and attempted to start my 458. The starter reluctantly cranked, then the dash panel went black. The car started but I had an electrical system failure warning. I let the car run for about 15 minutes and then shut it off. This was followed by a quick restart, with immediate reset of the failure warning - and normal operation.

I think the charger/battery system may be an issue with cold temperatures. Two weeks ago the temperatures here were as low as -28 degrees F. The daily highs were in the -10 range. The garage was very cold.

Temperature in the garage this evening was 38 degrees F.

CTEK offers a "Polar Charger". Is anyone here using this charger?

Can the AGM battery be expected to charge under these conditions?

Battery is one year old and I have never had it on a charger until now.

2. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    What does your local garage guy tell you about other cars batteries in town at that low temp ?

3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Why not hook up a standard say 4 amp charger on a daily charge for say 1/2 hour or what ever it takes to keep it at the right charge level. At least it will warm up the electrolite so you have a better chance of getting it going.
    Out of interest where ru that it gets that cold ?

4. MuratC

MuratC Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2014
    Istanbul, Turkey
    If your battery and tender is fine, there shouldn't be any problem with charging even at those low temps. If I were you I'd first let a car electrician check the battery. Most likely, it has gone bad. Maybe your battery tender is not working well as well.

Check the voltage of your battery with a reliable voltmeter. Then leave the car for 3-4 days without the tender. Check the voltage again to see how much it dropped. Put the car on tender for 24hrs and see what happens. If the voltage is above 13V your tender seems to be working fine, meaning the battery is not holding the charge and drops to critical levels very fast at cold temps. So the battery needs to be replaced or maybe reconditioned.

BTW, standard CTEK Ferrari charger is a bit low tech, try to replace yours with the POLAR or this one MXS 10

5. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    The F oem CTEK trickler is also 4 Amps Mike .... but Murat may be right .... bad battery ?

6. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Mine is only 0.8 amps, thats a ferrari oem in an o8 430. Possable the later cars have bigger ones. I give mine a 4 amp charge every now and again during the winter.

7. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    What year is your 458? Are you sure it has an AGM battery? If it has the HELE system then it does. My 2014 does not have the HELE system and it does not have an AGM battery. I would have to look at the supplied tender as I never used it but I remember the tender that came with my 2007 599 and it only could supply 0.8A. It turned out the car wanted more juice and over several weeks during the winter when I didn't even go to look at the car (near criminal!) the car's battery nearly died along with the supplied tender. Since then, I put a CTek 7002 on a new F car. It has better resistance to power fluctuations and I think a better maintenance mode as well. Btw- a 7002 rescued the battery in my 599 and I kept using that very same battery for a few years after the incident....

8. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    My 0.8 amp ctek will keep up with the car sitting over the winter, but the low amps are not stopping the plates sulphating up, hence i give it 4 amps now and again .

9. spiders

spiders Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2012
    #9 spiders, Dec 26, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
    Thank you for all the suggestions, everyone.

To answer some of your questions, the car is a 2013 458 Italia. It does not have HELE. I purchased a new Odyssey AGM battery for the car one year ago. I put about 13,000 miles on the car (almost all highway miles) over the past year. Because I drive the car so much I had never used the charger until now. The car is wintering-over in one of the coldest places in the USA, near the Canadian border. The Ferrari CTEK 3.3 amp charger was on the battery for the past 3 weeks and I don't think the charger/battery did well with the extreme cold. Perhaps that's why CTEK makes a Polar model charger.

Mel, I don't have a local garage guy and am several hundred miles from the nearest Ferrari dealer.

I didn't put the charger on the battery over the past 24 hours, as i wanted to see what the voltage was this evening. Tonight I turned on the heat in the garage for a while and brought the ambient temperature up to 60 degrees F. I am pleased to report that the dash instrument voltmeter reading was 12.5 volts. The starter cranked fast and the engine fired right up without hesitation. There were no error codes. Completely nominal operation was noted.

I greatly appreciate all your excellent and helpful suggestions. I will do as MuratC suggests and leave the battery off the charger for several days, checking the voltage before and after with a Fluke volt meter.

10. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    That makes some more sense now. Nice driving!

I doubt this had a bit affect given the relatively short time you had it hooked up, but AGM batteries require a different charging voltage- 14.7v as opposed to your standard car battery which wants 14.4. Did your Ferrari branded CTek 3.3 have an AGM mode that you used (it would look like a snowflake and/or a picture of one type of AGM battery)? One theory is you might have been charging it with the lower voltage- AGM batteries are really sensitive to under voltage charging. No matter which tender you get, make sure it has an AGM mode.

I would imagine most of your drives were longer based on the mileage, but if your most recent drives were fairly short you might not have recharged the battery during your driving and then you add this in plus the cold temps and it might explain it.

Their Polar charger looks like a nice choice for uber cold, but it seems based on the 3.3/4.3 models, I still would recommend the 7002, they say its rated down to -4F and up to over 100F... If you can heat the garage I would highly recommend it- especially to keep the temps above freezing. Even keeping it to 40F would be far better than 30F. Its your power bill, and its not as cold here, but I keep my garage heated to 50-55F.

11. spiders

spiders Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2012
    I am using the stock Ferrari CTEK that probably is for a wet cell battery, as it does not have an AGM setting. I'm not going to use it any more. Thanks for pointing that out to me.

My Bosh C7 has an AGM setting. I'll try that for now but will look into the 7002 charger.

Your point about keeping the garage warmer is good. I turned on the heat and have the thermostat set for 40 degrees.

12. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    This ^, or get a LTW CF Braille Li-Ion battery like I and Murat have, pricey but worth every penny imho,
    my car starts on a dime even after 3+ months of storage in the garage (attached to the tender)

best

13. spiders

spiders Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2012
    A lithium battery is nice, but I don't think they don't do well in extreme cold.

14. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #14 Melvok, Dec 30, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. spiders

spiders Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2012
    I think mines is 4.3 Amps. 2013 458 Italia. Will check it for sure when I can. 115VAC.

16. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    How is the weather in your country (where ? ) now Spiders ... and the car battery still O.K. in the heated garage ?

17. spiders

spiders Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2012
    #17 spiders, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Mel, I'm in the purple zone on this current temperature map. High temperature for today is predicted to be 0 degrees F. Garage temperature is 45 degrees F. I have the battery off the charger for a week, as a test to see what the voltage will be at that time.

Cold here...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Good advice about checking your charger. A friend of mine has a 2013 458 and he had starting problems after the car was sitting for 1 week in the summer. I lent him the charger from my 2011 458 and he had no problem, so his charger was bad. I advised him to buy a 4.3 or 7 amp C-TEK, which he did (don't remember which, but as others have said the 4.3 ought to suffice), spliced the adapter onto it, has not had a problem since.

I think even w/o a charger the car should have been OK for 5 days but the owners manual does advise putting the charger on if it sits for a week or longer.

19. phatteus

phatteus Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2007
    New York
    Full Name:
    Matt