How old were you when you bought your first Ferrari | Page 5 | FerrariChat

How old were you when you bought your first Ferrari

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 2000YELLOW360, Sep 25, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

If you bought the Ferrari with Earned money, how old were you?

1. 20-29

2. 30-39

3. 40-49

4. 50-59

5. 60-69

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Scuderia69

Scuderia69 Karting

Mar 19, 2013
    New Kensington,PA
    1978. I was 19. 1964 250GT/E. Bought it in western Iowa and drove it home to Pittsburgh in the middle of February. Had to stop every 20 miles to clear the windscreen as there was very little to no heat and it was snowing most of the way. The things you do when your young...

2. HIO Silver

HIO Silver Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2016
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Alonso C.
    I set my goal at age 42 to own a Ferrari before age 50. On my cubicle wall I mounted a piece of paper that read "Ferrari Before 50".

I'm not wealthy per se but Iam good at saving money and investing in the stock market. The 2008-2010 economic downturn provided the opportunity to be a contrarian - to buy stock in those companies that everyone hated. I picked up banks, retailers like Home Depot and Lowes, and oil companies, oil field services and drillers. Profits accumulated!

In mid-2015 I began my search in earnest for an F355. The proportions are spot on and the styling is awesome. However, my research revealed that an engine-out service to the tune of $10,000 would be inevitable. Then I looked into the 360 and the marginal difference was negligible since the F355 would, at some point, incur that $10000 liability.

In early February 2016 I decided on a 360 Spider F1. I corresponded with a consigner and we agreed on a price. I flew down, took it for a test drive, and said, "I'll keep the keys. Here's a check courtesy of Bank of America, Lowes, Caterpillar, and Halliburton."

While I was finishing up the paperwork, a tech came in and asked when I would be picking up the car. I responded, "What do you mean? I'm driving it back home today!" I couldn't wipe the smile off my face for the next 400 miles.

Ferrari Before 50? Yes!..... 49 years, 10 months, and 14 days.

3. jo.e

jo.e Karting

Jan 6, 2017
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Jochen
    My first Ferrari was an F430 coupe. He was delivered on 31.12.2013 and I was still 26 years old.

4. sandersja

sandersja Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Portland OR
    Full Name:
    John Sanders
    I found it hard to justify squandering on a Ferrari until the house and anything else was fully paid for and enough cash on hand to buy the car.

5. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Thanks heaps. :)

6. Norge

Norge Rookie

Jul 1, 2015
    Pewaukee WI
    Full Name:
    John Havnen
    I was a corvette guy till I turned 35 and the new Z06 was well over 100k and full of problems. So I decided if I'm spending this kind of money might as well try a Ferrari. So I decided to buy a F360 Spider with very low miles. Now that I'm hooked I will be selling the 360 to get a 430 this spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    36...but I did finance a major portion of it...if that still counts as "earned money"

8. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I just kept my Z06 :D I would feel incomplete without a Corvette

9. Norge

Norge Rookie

Jul 1, 2015
    Pewaukee WI
    Full Name:
    John Havnen
    I wrote a check for the Ferrari and my wife said there's no way in hell I'm owning two sports cars at one. I have a warehouse full of Harleys 17 snowmobiles etc. I would like to own a resto mod 66 Vette

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. guiseppif1

guiseppif1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2010
    Orange Beach,AL
    Full Name:
    JOE Phillips
    My story is a little different,after spending a summer in Scicly in 1970.I first saw a Ferrari,I new I must have one.During that summer we made a trip to Rome,I of course,wanted to go to a dealership so we went to 2 dealers.I was given some brochures,and the salesman told me I should go to Maranello and meet Comendotore.Unforntually,I did not get to Maranello.However,4 years later after we had decided to return to Italy and go to school.I was able to got to LeMans and work for NART,Mr.Chinetti gave me a pass to visit the factory.It would come in handy later!
    After LeMans,I went to see my friend from 1970,Stefano,he said "Ahhhh it's perfect you can buy a 330GTC"#11079,it's $4000USD,so I borrowed the money from my Dad,and got it.
    After I drove it for a year going to university,I decided I wanted to go to F1 GPGB 1975.So I sold the 330GTC for double,I was going to pay off the loan and expenses but my Dad said "I will spot you again go find another".So I made the GP(was in the Ferrari pits,saw Laudas wheel fall off on exit)Aterwards went to see David Piper,he a TDF,he wanted more than I had.So,It was back to see Stefano in Rome,I arrived to hear him,"You just in time their is a Daytona,it can be bought".It was more than I had so he made up the difference.He shipped it to me a couple months later. It was on the docks in early Jan.1976,I then drove to Daytona for the 24hrs. Again, with NART,the race car Daytona (Starbirds) had a ball joint and drive line problem,I donated mine from my car and Dr.Stephens donated his drive line from his Daytona Spyder it finished 10th.
    I eventually sold the Daytona, and repaid my Dad,he passed away 4 months later.I was so glad to have had all this experience and was square with him.
    The next two Ferraris were years later after I sold my business.A 365GTC4 and a 400A.

11. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    I enjoyed reading your fascinating story. Thanks for sharing.