Anyone in Ft. Lauderdale, FL area ever dealt with THE NEW AUTO TOY STORE? | FerrariChat

Anyone in Ft. Lauderdale, FL area ever dealt with THE NEW AUTO TOY STORE?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by SaratogaCA, Jan 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SaratogaCA

SaratogaCA Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2016
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Sam T.
    They have a car I'm interested in.

But the hours are "by appointment only."

I am in California, and have called them during regular business hours, and more often than not, get a voicemail.

This makes me wonder about them.

Does anyone here have any experience with, or information about, this dealership?

Thanks,
    Sam in Saratoga

2. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
  3. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I think it's actually in Pompano right off I95. I live in FTL. If you want me to take a quick look at something PM me. I would always apply a little extra dose of caution when buying cars out of SoFla.

4. SaratogaCA

Sep 11, 2016
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Sam T.
    PM Sent

5. neilmac

neilmac Formula 3

Apr 18, 2005
    Oakville, Ont.
    Full Name:
    Neil
    May I ask you to please tell me why South Florida cars/dealers require extra caution? A friend who spends a lot of time in FL is currently looking at a 360. Thank you.

Neil

6. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Historically, FL has had some very lax titling laws so cars that couldn't be titled elsewhere found their way to Florida as a means of making them "legit". In some cases that was a good thing because it allowed for the importation of cars that couldn't otherwise have been titled, but unscrupulous dealers (yes, they exist) used it for more nefarious purposes. Not sure what the laws there are like now though.

7. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Can't speak for a specific dealer, but any car that spends appreciable time in FL is a potential flood-damage risk and extra caution should be exercised.

8. SaratogaCA

Sep 11, 2016
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Sam T.
    Well, wait! What do you mean "lax titling laws?"

Does that mean the car could have a salvaged title? Or be a stolen vehicle?

9. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Florida and used car dealer is usually a bad combo unless it's a long standing business. New Exotic Car dealer in Florida ? I'll pass.

A sunny place for shady people. My apologies to any honest person who works or lives in Florida, but the reputation isn't for no reason.

10. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    One day several years ago I passed a place called Ft. Lauderdale Collection on US1 in Ft. Lauderdale. Two lanes of traffic were blocked with open car transporters and guys walking around in black shirts with FEDERAL AGENT on their backs....I lived in FLL for decades. There have always been many exotic car scammers there. Some of you old timers will remember Autoputer....a pioneer in the "industry".

11. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Here in the NY / NJ area where we've suffered through some big storms it's common knowledge that flood-damaged cars from this area are shipped to Florida to permit the salvage title to be washed away or so I have been told.

12. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    The web site is a quicky job put up by carsforsale.com - owned by Sean Coffman along with 100s of other sites.
    It basically appears to be a $99 per month lead-generation and dealer services operation.
    https://dealers.carsforsale.com/

13. SaratogaCA

Sep 11, 2016
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Sam T.
    OK, so, assuming the car I want exists, and passes a PPI, how do I do business with them?

I don't want to wire money or send a cashier's check to a business 3,000 miles away.

- Sam in Saratoga

14. AMG USA

AMG USA Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Jan 4, 2017
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Atlantis Motor Group
    I am a dealer in South Florida. When I buy a car long distance from someone I don't know or don't trust, I pay when I take possession of the car and title. I either fly there, or send someone I trust, or have even given a cashiers check to a transporter to trade for the car and title.

On the other side of the equation, over the years I have had 2 occasions where a customer gave me a counterfeit or forged cashiers check, so I'm careful when I sell as well.

Bottom line, if you don't trust these guys, I would advise you to spend the $500 to fly there and take delivery in person. It's always better to see the car with your own eyes anyway.

I hope that helps.

15. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Several very negative reviews on Google and I could never trust a place that doesn't have their location featured prominently on their web site. I had to search Google to find that information.

16. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I'll swing by and try to take a quick look at the car tomorrow. I will tell you that there are already too many questionable things in my mind:

1. You have to search to get an address.
    2. They aren't in Ft Lauderdale, they are in Pompano. A nuance but they are not one of the established companies in FTL which is what the name implies IMO.
    3. not that it's the case here but for reasons above you have to apply extra caution in Fl.
    4. It doesn't sound like you've bought a lot of cars long distance. Buying an older Ferrari, cross country from a dealer in SoFla without a lot of experience is like learning to ski on an expert run.
    5. I'm surprised nobody knows these guys.

I'll pass on what I see.

17. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
  18. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #18 BoulderFCar, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    Not someone I'd buy from but that's personal preference.
    I apologize but I'm not going to make the time to look at the car. There are just too many negative indicators on this one for me to provide an objective view.
    This is one of those deals where you need to get your own eyeballs on it. Good luck with your search.

19. SaratogaCA

Sep 11, 2016
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Sam T.
    Thanks folks.

This makes me want to proceed with extreme caution.

I have asked for a CarFax ... that is the starting point.

I might hop on a plane and go there myself, but I have a bunch of projects coming up and taking a day off is a luxury I may not be able to afford.

20. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    I don't know what the laws there are like these days but years ago it was very easy to get a title for just about anything in Florida. So yeah, lots of cars with undesirable backgrounds were "title washed" in Florida. Combine that with seemingly questionable background of the selling dealer and you have good reason to be very, very careful.

Unless the car in question is a model that is otherwise unavailable I think I'd just keep looking. If you simply must have the car it seems highly advisable to have a recognized expert in the model go over it carefully for you before handing over any money, even if you have to fly the expert in from another part of the country. Unless of course, the car in question is cheap enough that you can (and don't mind) taking the risk that it's actually worth far less than you'd be paying for it.

Good luck and let us know how it all shakes out.

21. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    These guys have been around forever and have always had the same horrible reputation. They've been shut down before and simply reopened with a new name, hence the "new" auto toy store. Do a search in the FL section and you should find plenty of info on them. Frankly I wouldn't do business with them if they had the exact car I wanted at an amazing price.

22. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    You don't say what car you're interested in, but unless it's unique, surely there must be one closer to you and with less brain damage involved.

23. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    The apparent proprietor appears to be a little too young to have been involved back when they had their big blowup but what do I know? I'd never heard of him or this place prior to yesterday.

It seems very odd to me that an apparently successful and prosperous business man would have a website thrown up by a dealer services company that doesn't even put his address or pictures of his showroom up but I'm pretty old school.

24. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I remember going to the Auto Toy store 20 years ago, but had no idea they (or whoever bought the name) re-opened it under a similar name...

25. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E